Author Topic: Silvertips Terminal Test  (Read 4574 times)

Offline Ljutic

• Master
Silvertips Terminal Test
« on: February 05, 2014, 11:16:42 PM »
I've always carried Silvertips in my R9s.  Hard to remember exactly why, but I think it was suggested by many when I first started visiting here.  I was against terminal testing them for many of the same reasons why I never wanted to terminal test with the LWS380.  I did the Seecamp test last year and finally got the the R9 test this year.  Silvertips may not be the best terminal peformers, but they held their own against other standard pressure loads I've tested.

Full story and video on the blog.
http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2014/02/winchester-9mm-silvertip-115-grain-sthp.html
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Silvertips Terminal Test
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 08:18:17 AM »
Thanks...I've enjoyed your posts on the Seecamp Forum also Lj.  Some here do not favor 115 gr. ammo for carry, although others do.  I'm still carrying the Gold Dot 124 because I have a lot of it, but it appears from other posts that the Federal Premium HST just blows away the other 9mm rounds for penetration and expansion...any thoughts on that?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 09:15:13 AM »
Thanks...I've enjoyed your posts on the Seecamp Forum also Lj.  Some here do not favor 115 gr. ammo for carry, although others do.  I'm still carrying the Gold Dot 124 because I have a lot of it, but it appears from other posts that the Federal Premium HST just blows away the other 9mm rounds for penetration and expansion...any thoughts on that?

I'm a fan of HST 124 +P in any pistol/carbine that can handle it except when barrels run shorter than 3" long.  I have not done much testing with the HST 124 grain standard pressure or either of the HST 147s.  That's mostly because I'm flush with the 124 +P variety.  I don't understand the aversion to 115 grain 9mm standard pressure loads from barrels 3" or less.  The only way you are going to see expansion through denim is with speed.       
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 06:22:43 PM »
Good point! Someday I'd like to see the gel tests on a HST 9mm (not +P) from short barrel pistol, preferably the R9, in all three bullet weights.  I have decided to limit perp access to me to only those not wearing denim since I'm flush with Gold Doit 124 at the moment.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis