Author Topic: scary to read all these posts but.....  (Read 3650 times)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Re: scary to read all these posts but.....
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006, 05:52:48 PM »
Carry a lot and shoot little..

Keep the pup clean..

Shoot ammo that your pup eats regularly!!

All is right with the world!! ;D

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 06:11:24 PM »
Jerry
Nice report - thanks for sharing.

For most either 115 of 124 is fine - I usually use 115 but there is no problem with the 124 Golddots.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline SFCJerry

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 07:45:35 PM »
Hold on now ya all,   Remember I can fire 135 Hydra Shock and have no problems. 124 Gr is good too.  I've been told the gun was designed around the 115 and 124 grain.. both work just fine. However, my gun likes the 115 gr better. Yours might like the 124 and 115, I don't know.... If it works ok use it.  Guns are like people, Ya gotta test them to see how they work.  Just kidding.  Don't mean to tell anyone what they should use in their pup. That was not the intent of the test. I was testing to see what worked in my pup and what didn't. I know what won't work very well, and now I know what will work very well. Sorry if I steered ya wrong.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2006, 07:56:57 PM »
Mike (Murray) - yes I am happy with 115 or 124 - in fact hope to try 147's if I get any one day.

I do not feel it is highly bullet-weight specific at all - but the paramount deal is IMO - that each owner finds and proves his ammo choice - that is the bottom line.

I did find in testing that the 115's expanded a bit more - tho both weights calculated to same mean ME - seemed like the velocity increase on 115's did better enable expansion.  Not by much but enough to notice if you have seen my FAQ then test links (buttons) and the pics - test #2 IIRC.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2006, 08:21:05 PM »
Chris,
I do remember your tests showed a bit better expansion with the 115gr.  We discussed the GDHP extensively when this forum began.  I've stayed with the 124gr. and have had no problems.  I'll stay with them but look forward to your subsonic results.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2006, 08:27:42 PM »
Actually Mike all were sub sonic!!!  Taking 1100 fps as approx threshold.

GD 115's ran average 1060 region, the 124's just over 1,000.

I expect 147's will be down under 1,000 - tho WWB 147's did just squeek over 1,000 with 147's.

I hope over time to run a few more tests tho as and when I come across ammo I have not yet put thru.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2006, 09:40:51 PM »
SFCJerry,
I think I'll try the 135 gr. Hydrashok just to "qualify" another type of ammo.
My particular R9S seem to like the 115 gr. Gold Dots better than the 124 gr.  With 147 grain Gold Dots I've seen some keyholing.  I think the twist rate is kind of slow for the heavier bullet.  Something about minimizing the tendency to torque in your hand.  

Anyway, I'm glad to hear your experience has been pretty positive so far.  These Rohrbaughs do like to be kept clean and well lubed.