Author Topic: "Breaking In" my second Rohrbaugh (R9s)  (Read 3262 times)

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
"Breaking In" my second Rohrbaugh (R9s)
« on: January 27, 2006, 09:45:00 PM »
Hopefully this post will be helpful to someone trying to make up their mind whether to purchase a Rohrbaugh.  Short answer:  "do it."  I chronicled my adventures with my R9 a month or so ago.  Summarizing briefly:  absolutely no problems of any kind in over 200 rounds of mixed ammo.

So, on to this post.  I bought a R9s, to complete my "collection."  (Thank God they don't make more models, I'd be even broker!)  General thoughts . . . if I had it to do over I wouldn't bother with the sights.  It's true that they don't "hurt" anything, but to me they do detract from the purity of form and function that the R9 has.  Be that as it may, how'd the little guy do at the range?

It quit snowing so I plowed my way out Montana Creek Rd. here in Juneau.  Farther out I got the deeper it got.  We've gotten a little over a foot this week.   I supplemented my new R9s with skateboarder's grip tape on the front strap only.  I learned my lesson from my R9, where I spread tape all around the grips and nearly sanded my skin off.  I think I'm going to put a second strip on the back strap, there was still a little more "squirming" than I like with only the little front piece.

Ammo was some non-exciting hard ball, I think American Eagle 115?  I'm too lazy to go find the box.  Anyhow, I ran 49 rounds through without a single malfunction.  I was just shooting to establish functionality, so I didn't use the sights in any meaningful fashion, but I just want to reassure anybody thinking about a purchase that, based on my experience, these little guys are dependable and trouble free.

That's it.

Michael Hildebrand
Juneau, Alaska

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Re: "Breaking In" my second Rohrbaugh (R
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 01:07:42 AM »
Michael - sounds great!  What have been your temps given you are by the water.  I see that Fairbanks was over 50 below.
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 01:20:02 AM »
ya-- i spent one winter in fairbanks, almost 40 years ago.  we had just immigrated from oklahoma, and it hit -72 F.  my brother and sisters would put on every single piece of clothing we had and just stand in the front yard . . . it was as interesting as going out on the surface of the moon.  at that temp, of course, all exhausts, chimney smoke, breath -- freeze and settle as "ice fog."  it gets really thick, and sometimes when it's just the right height you can see peoples' heads moving around above the fog, while their bodies are invisible below.  quite the adventure!

anyhow, it's been cold for here the last week . . . lows around +15 to  +20 and lots of snow.  high twenties or just barely into the 30s during the day.  before this week, though, we hadn't had much winter at all.

i'm really pleased with my Rs performance.  so far, not a hiccup with either, though it's really early on my R9s.  i'm feeling pretty confident, though, i really don't expect any trouble.  taking them apart and putting them together is pretty routine now, and i'm just careful to keep them nice and clean and lubricated as per factory specs.  guess i've got my carry guns for good.

be well.  keep warm.  keep shootin'

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 01:27:35 AM »
Bluegun (a reflection of your temperatures I am thinking LOL) - I have not IIRC had a chance to welcome you yet - in case not - Hi and welcome :)

Always good to hear of some troublefree runs with the pup - and glad too.  This is of course the experience for most of us - leaving aside inattention to cleaning and grip problems etc causing hiccups sometimes.

I dearly wish to travel and see up your way - but not sure I'll ever manage such an ''expedition'' - but also - wonder about your relocation!  I imagine so often folks from there come south to warmer climes.!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 01:35:51 AM »
i spent altogether too much time in the heat as a kid/teen/student.  got trapped by a good job once for several years and then ran back here as fast as my chubby little legs could carryme.

juneau is perfect for me . . . very moderate all year round, but still with distinct seasons.  you've got to get used to the rain, but you can if you fear the sun enough.  ;)

fairbanks has one of the widest temperature swings imagineable.  it can and does get in the 90s in the summer (dry too) and routinely snaps down several times a winter into the -40s and -50s.  it is an interesting place though.  my partner went to college and started her professional life up there, so we still visit the old town from time to time.  it''s fun.

you oughta book a ferry run on the inside passage and come up to see us -- i'll buy you a brewsky and take you shooting -- though not on the same day. :)

thanks for your welcome.  this is a friendly place.  glad i found it.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 01:43:58 AM »
[size=13]you oughta book a ferry run on the inside passage[/size]
Sounds easy but - I am East US (PA) and thinking about travel logistics - it seems one heck of a trip!!!

I'd love to take you up on the offer that's for sure.

I have as I have gotten old - been more and more drawn to big expanses, some isolation and the overall grandeur of ''large'' :).  

No harm in dreaming tho eh!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 01:56:48 AM »
Michael

Wish I had known about you before my last summer visit.  I hired a taxi driver who lived there all his life to take us around and to give us a tour and some history - also what it is like growing up in Juneau.  He talked about when he was a kid they didn't have a fridge so he would take ice off the glacier.  He would drop us off at places and come back later to pick us up.  I enjoyed the trips into the forest the most.  Our last stop was at your famous brewery.

What I didn't like was the tourist trap stores - especially the ones where the owners were only seasonal and not part of the community - I think you have ten times to many jewerly stores.  A beautiful area you live in Michael.
Dave
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 09:44:08 AM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 02:22:37 AM »
A few shots of Juneau - Michael is right - it does rain a lot there.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 02:29:18 AM »
Sure that ain't outside of Seattle Dave? LOL - J/K.

Lovely pic's and yes, does look a tad ''damp'' ;)  

Guess the Coast Mountains play a large part and hey - had not remembered just how much Juneau was ''only just Alaska''!!!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 01:35:31 PM »
Dave, I guess Chris is right, you are in Seattle taking pictures of the Seahawks practicve so your Steelers can get the upper hand. :P :D

Bluegun, welcome to the forum from the second largest state.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 05:44:56 PM »

Two more Juneau pictures to go with the previous ones above from Michael's beautiful home town in Alaska.

On the way to Juneau through the inner passage.

MountainMan and his lovely wife Nancy in Juneau

« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 05:56:11 PM by MountainMan »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 08:02:51 PM »
More great pics Dave and thx.  My - that inner passage shot is breathtaking - I sure would enjoy seeing that for real.

Re ham radio - I spent most time listening - when I had an old ''HRO'' - also had an 1154 and 1155 - these were all I guess if memory serves ex mil UK gear.  I added a BFO oscillator to the HRO and that opened me up to SSB - had lots of fun ''cruising'' the world. :)

Just never pursued it - as other things like guns, model airplanes, bikes - and ladies came on the scene. ;)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site