Author Topic: scary to read all these posts but.....  (Read 3682 times)

Offline SFCJerry

scary to read all these posts but.....
« on: December 09, 2005, 04:57:20 PM »
I bought my little (serial R1xxx) pup awhile ago and after reading all the posts on this forum, I was a little down hearted about the reliability of the little fella.  Therefore, I went out and put around 50 rds of speer lawman ball 115 gr thru it and ended up having two failure to feed.  I did not clean the pup and during one of my ccw classes I loaded up and fired 20 135 gr hydro shock rds thru it with no problems.  Today I fired 20 more 135 gr hydro shock rds and found I had no problems. The ability to hit were I was pointing ( since mine is without sights)  is impressive to say the least at 21 feet and I decided to limp wrist a few hydro shock rounds today just to see what would happen and sure enough I ended up with one failure to feed. My fears are gone and I plan to carry this little pup from this point on and put my p3at away for a while.  Technique and the correct ammo seem to go a long way with this gun, as is the case with other guns, and I plan to clean it and test it again during my next class in point shooting techniques.  I see good things in the future with this little guy.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: scary to read all these posts but.....
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 05:42:12 PM »
Jerry - welcome to the club! :)

I don't think a few FTF's are too unusual in first batch of ammo for many folks - I know I had just a few.

Then tho once broken in, kept properly crud-free etc - ammo choice is the other main deal.

One thing in particular I doubt anyone can deny - the pup is one very fine piece of engineering.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 05:46:33 PM »
SFCJerry,  Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum.  Most of these guns have been perfect. Some have had bugs. But all have been fixed or refunded. Sounds like with a little break time yours will be fine.  Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline LCP

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 06:17:51 PM »
I had also had the standard FTF upon initial breakin.  Since that time it has been flawless. You know as I wrote this I started to wonder if I should since things have been going so good. But what the heck I'm not superstitious.  Actually I felt compelled to add this post due to what seems like many performance issues posted on the forum about the little pistol.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 06:25:02 PM »
SFCJerry,
Welcome to the forum and to the pup!! :)

I know that the Hydra shocks are not considered +Ps,but they are a "higher velocity" round I believe..I am just wondering if anyone else have shot these?

I am glad you are pleased ;D and please make sure you clean and lube the pup-it will treat you right if you do.. ;D 8)

Welcome again!! 8)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 07:37:07 PM »
SFCJerry, welcome to the forum.  I think the new R9 will be working just fine.

Bill

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 08:59:11 PM »
Jerry - if SFC means that city in CA my daughter lives there.  Welcome.  Don't worry about a few FTF in the first 100 or so round.  You made a great purchase - I have two - enjoy.
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline SFCJerry

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 05:12:12 PM »
SFC means the pay grade I retired as from the US Army a couple years ago. Sarg First Class. Most just call me old man
Jerry

Offline SFCJerry

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 05:16:24 PM »
I meant to tell ya all that I am retired from the Army and have had many years training soldiers in the proper use and firing techniques of rifles and pistols.  I also am a civilian pistol instructor and I am currently giving ccw classes in Ohio. I plan to demonstrate the use of the pup in self defense situations and point shooting techniques. As I give the classes I will report any problems I have while firing, as well as good reports.
Jerry

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 06:34:16 PM »
SFCJerry:

Welcome to the Forum, congratulations on your new R9, and thank you for your service to our country.  

Hooah!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 09:55:30 PM »
SFCJerry, I'm looking forward to seeing your test results.

I hope you are enjoying your retirement.

Bill

Offline SFCJerry

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 03:22:11 PM »
Thanks to all and I will Let you all know how the pup works out
Jerry

Offline SFCJerry

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 03:08:49 PM »
I had misfeed problems with the pup and tried differnt ammo including ball ammo with the same problems. Karl and I talked and I sent in the pup to be looked at. Karl replaced the slide, test fired it, cleaned it up and sent it back to me within a weeks time. Since then I have had other people shoot the pup, experts and new shooters, while experiencing no problems. I have fired over 300 rounds with no problems since receiving it just after new years and I have had no problems with one exception. If the pup gets real dirty when shooting, you will probably have problems
My thoughts about the pup are as follows:

This gun is designed to shoot 115 grain bullets ball or JHPs and is used as a back up belly gun. Not as a range gun. Not saying that you cant hit a target at 25 yards. Keep this gun clean and with the proper ammo loaded, a power stance, crush grip, trigger roll and proper follow through it will do what it is supposed to do with no problems. My congrats to Karl and his crew for designing such a fine firearm. For those of you who are thinking about purchasing this firearm, I say this. Put some rounds through it to break it in. Learn proper defense shooting techniques, test the firearm with different ammo and find the best that works in your gun. Keep it clean and smooth. Then carry it with confidence and you will have peace of mind. For those of you that may be interested, I have a word document file of my testing. Nothing technical, Just plan everyday language and shooting experiences. I will be happy to share it with you it you want it.
I carry this pup everyday. I call it my always gun, because I always have it with me.
In closing, Carry it alot, shoot it little.
Jerry  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 03:23:23 PM »
Jerry - yes, the ''Rohrbaugh mantra'' is real.  Lot of people trash the gun because of that - saying how something so costly should be able to take all punishment metered out.  I certainly disagree.  Carry a lot, shoot a little is the gun's purpose.

It is a ''niche'' gun - and once broken in and proven then only the occasional magful or so is needed to maintain proficiency - dry fire helps too of course.

Finally yes too - the real nitty-gritty - DIRT/CRUD.  That is certainly the pup's worst enemy.  It is not built with huge tolerances like an old Gov't A1 - it is very tight tolerances - and I  know myself that slide action can be impaired by crud ridden grease.

I am glad yours has been improved and it seems you are promoting the ideal R9 philosophy :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 04:35:22 PM »
SFCJerry wrote:
"This gun is designed to shoot 115 grain bullets ball or JHPs"

Tell me it ain't so, my 124gr GDHP no longer a preferred round for my R9S?  Chris, you had good luck with your testing of the 124gr GDHP.  What happened?