Author Topic: Breakdown tools  (Read 6787 times)

Offline garymass

• Expert
Breakdown tools
« on: December 31, 2013, 02:12:56 AM »
Just a quick question, when I had my last R9 I had a hedley tool though I know some one made a mold type where you place the gun into, are these available anymore or maybe someone may have bought an extra they want to sell?

Okay I just read the one tool was placed on hold, does anyone make the hedley tool anymore?

Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone!
Gary
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:27:29 AM by garymass »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Breakdown tools
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 09:09:45 AM »
I am not aware that anyone is making the "Stop Sticks" at the present time, but as Chris ("R9SCarry") noted during the early days of the Forum, a common chop stick can be adapted to the purpose:

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/stopstick.htm
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 05:04:10 PM »
Thanks Richard, I used the Hedley tool all the time but I gave it away with my old r9 I may just have to make one if I can't buy one.

Offline gooddog

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 01:14:41 PM »
I think that you are referring to is the takedown mold that you put the muzzle into and just push the pin threw. I have one but I'm pretty sure the gentleman that was making them is no longer doing so.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 06:46:21 PM »
The tool I was describing wasn't David's patented plastic muzzle-compression device but what the late R. J. Hedley designed and called the "Stop Stick."  You are correct that David stopped offering his device citing insurance concerns, if my recollection serves.  However, Steve Bedair designed and offered an unpatented muzzle-compression device that many of us have and use.  Here's a link to some history on all of that:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=3369.msg80558#msg80558

The moral of the story is that if you want some tools to assist in R9 takedown and reassembly you can make your own at minimal cost.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:18:07 AM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 11:25:57 AM »

That is an excellent summary of the tools' evolution, Richard. I have used RJ's and Steve's tools for years because they just make the process easier and trouble free.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 09:40:12 PM »
I have and still use David's tool as the easiest and most useful of all my tools.  I just laugh at the posts about how hard it is to takedown and rebuild the R9....the R9 is now the easiest of all my pistols to clean.  This or a similar tool should be quite easy to make from scratch out of plastic or wood (or metal if you have the tools and the talent).  It does make ownership of the Rohrbaugh even more pleasant for sure.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

bamboobob

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 01:04:31 AM »
What would be the best thickness for the tools end that does the recoil assy.
I have used the paper clip and seen pic of a tool (looked maybe 1/4)
Thanks
Bob

bamboobob

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 12:14:37 AM »
In the past I have made a stop stick substitute by sanding down, at an angle,  the big end of a tie wrap.

Offline DWMR9S

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 09:01:43 PM »
In Eric Rohrbaugh's still photos of assembly and he uses a pair of Channel lock pliers to compress the recoil assembly for placement.  Like everyone else, I thought at first this was horrifying.  As expected, it work very nicely.  A very nice version of the channel lock plier used by Eric is the Knipex "Cobra", available at hardware stores and, of course, on line.  The smallest, 6", version is very nice for this task.  I find that the jaw setting one step removed from maximum opening works well.  If one is worried about the jaw scratching the stainless pieces of the recoil assembly, take two pieces of electrician or other tape clamp between the jaw and trim to size.  This provides a polymer surface against the SS steel pieces of the recoil assy. 

Offline Marcion333

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 08:02:49 PM »
i use a 1/2 inch plastic insulating bushing and a toothpick to take off slide.  when you push muzzle down onto bushing the takedown pin hole lines up perfectly with pin.  push pin out with toothpick.   find these CHEAP bushings at home depot!