Author Topic: Let Me See If I Can Word This Correctly....  (Read 9873 times)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Let Me See If I Can Word This Correctly....
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 09:54:35 PM »
Count0- I concur with Richard that JR is correct.  I would further add, to stay away from the lapping compound.  Case in point; it you look at the wear points on a new Wilson, Baer, NightHawk, etc. The creme de la creme.  You will notice that they do not wear Evenly.  Thus, if one was to lap a gun in/at it's wear points, I believe that they could do more harm than good.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 07:15:08 AM »
Thus, if one was to lap a gun in/at it's wear points, I believe that they could do more harm than good.

I would agree with this assessment. One big reason is that cycling the slide by hand can't duplicate the same forces that firing the pistol create - if for no other reason that you are adding your own forces by grabbing the slide to cycle it and when being fired those forces aren't present. Firing is also way more violent than any hand action you could possibly create.

This is one of those rare circumstances where doing something the best way also happens to be the most fun way; take a couple of boxes of ammo, some targets, eye and ear protection and go to your local range and have a ball shooting your new pup - or whatever else you have.

Offline jeeptree2112

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 08:09:45 AM »
Richard S.... did I read that article correctly in stating that Mobile 1 oil is the oil I should be using for lubrication????   And what type of grease is that?   It has never been explained in that great of detail of the proper lubing process.  That is some significant lubing.  I need some supplies!!   LOL

Offline billib

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 08:49:50 AM »
Yes, Mobile 1 the Synthetic engine oil.
I use to be a cab driver before I became
retired/disabled. The last cab I owned
was a Chevrolet Caprice Classic.
Would you believe I had over 700
thousand miles on the odometer?
It purred like a kitten because I
used Mobile 1. I was going to put
one million miles on it before I
threw it (the car) away. Mobile 1
is the second best Synthetic motor
oil their is. I highly recommend it
for your vehicles.

Apparently its good for PUP's to.
Ok, your wondering what is the
BEST Synthetic motor oil..........
.......Royal Purple.

Offline jeeptree2112

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 11:07:19 AM »
Thanks Billib.  I should start using it in the 1979 CJ7 I have too.  That thing drinks oil like a drunken sailor. 
Any advice on the grease?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 01:09:20 PM »

I am not an expert but a trusted mechanic very recently told me that using synthetic on a high mileage car that has been using regular oil may cause leaks. This is just FWIW with no scientific basis.

Offline billib

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 01:10:10 PM »
Sadly, I'm unaware of any Magic Grease.
Lubriplate does make a fine grease, the
link is what I would recommend.
http://www.lubriplate.com/webstore/detail.aspx?ID=17
Use it on your Rails and Trigger Linkage.
That small tube should last you forever.

Offline billib

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 01:13:02 PM »
Using Synthetic Engine Oil in an Engine that
already leaks will make it leak more efficiently.
Seriously!!!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 01:20:57 PM »

My mechanic was referring to a vehicle that had no previous leak history. There is no doubt of the advantages of synthetic oil otherwise. I have heard many good things about Royal Purple and their headquarters is in the Houston area. They also make an excellent gun oil that I purchased on special order from an auto supply store.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 01:24:18 PM »
The best way I have heard synthetic oil vs. regular oil described is this:

Fully synthetic, partially synthetic, & regular oil are all real oil. The molecules in regular oil are a wide range of sizes ranging from very small to quite large, partially synthetic oil "filters" out some of the largest molecules leaving only the very small and medium molecules, and in fully synthetic all molecules except the very small have been filtered out. You get much better lubrication with very small consistently sized oil molecules. If your engine has leaks though that happen to be too small for the larger molecules of regular oil to leak out and you fill it with synthetic the synthetic will leak out - so whoever told you that was correct.

I agree with the above Mobile 1 is great oil and what I have always used in my cars since I have known better.

-Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 01:25:28 PM »
Richard S.... did I read that article correctly in stating that Mobile 1 oil is the oil I should be using for lubrication????   And what type of grease is that?   It has never been explained in that great of detail of the proper lubing process.  That is some significant lubing.  I need some supplies!!   LOL

JT:

I believe that Chris ("R9SCarry"), who wrote the text accompanying the photographs, preferred to use Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil for his firearms. Although I agree with Chris on most things gun related, I do not use motor oil on my firearms. For many years, my preference in gun oil was Ballistol. I now use Frog Lube.

The grease being used by Eric in the photographs is Super Lube.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 03:41:13 PM »
I got started using Mobil I on my Auto Mags several years ago as there are a lot of moving parts and they are 35 to 40 years old and the stainless steel used back then was not what we have today.  It has worked well on them.

I started using it on some of my other Stainless Auto loaders and liked the way it worked and have continued using it on them

I have used Mobil I quite successfully on my R9.  With its simple design it works well.

I tried it on my Boberg which has about 15 to 20 places that require lubrication and it is just too heavy and I got way too much of it in the working parts.  The recommended CLP is a much better choice.

I still do not believe that any gun needs this much grease to work or could stay working for very long with it on.  See Eric's recommendation below.

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/r9-lube.htm

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 09:54:35 PM »

FrogLube is at the top of my list, also.