Author Topic: Evolution  (Read 7147 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Evolution
« on: December 15, 2011, 10:10:09 PM »
As a semi-retired type who divides most of his time between what the U. S. Census Bureau calls a "Metropolitan Statistical Area" of East Tennessee and a cabin in the Great Smoky Mountains, I find it interesting of late to note the subtle changes that are occurring in my EDC routine. My R9 is always in my right pocket, unless I am in a courthouse or some other "gun-free zone" (in which case it is locked in an automobile safe) --

but increasingly my Lower Saxony HK P7 customized by Virgil Tripp --

and Teddy Jacobson ("Actions by T") --

not my Clark "Meltdown" Custom Colt 1991A1 --

is riding on my belt whenever my lady and I head for our mountain cabin. The Colt always goes with us in its padded case and is on the nightstand with a tac light, but increasingly it is the P7that is on my belt.

Who would have thought a 1911 fanatic could be "seduced" by a post-WWII German design such as the P7. But this P7 is one fantastic carry gun.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Evolution
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 10:26:59 PM »
Richard, all fine looking choices and as usual nice to see them. ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 10:58:37 PM »
Never held or fired a P7 (H&K USP-C with Tac light is my bedside weapon).  That is a truly beautiful piece.  What about the pistol makes it your primary carry and how does it shoot?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 07:36:08 AM »
Always good to see these, RS.  Thanks!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 08:37:57 AM »
Never held or fired a P7 (H&K USP-C with Tac light is my bedside weapon).  That is a truly beautiful piece.  What about the pistol makes it your primary carry and how does it shoot?

In reading that post in the cold light of morning I realize that it was just a personal rumination brought on by the tranquility of this cabin on the creek and a fine Zinfandel, and included photographs previously posted. My apologies. I'll attempt to restrain myself in the future. But as for how the P7 shoots, it is one of the most instinctively accurate handguns I have ever owned. (Leave it to the Germans!) Once the cocking lever is depressed, the trigger mechanism is perfection itself. It was impressive in its original state, but after Teddy Jacobson fine-tuned the action, it became what might be described as a work of mechanical art.

Again, my apologies for posting photos that had been posted before to the Forum. I must remember that this Forum is not a personal journal.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 08:45:59 AM »
Works of art, every one.  I have handled, but never fired a P7.  That is probably a shortcoming on my part.  But, I hate to try one because its a sure ticket to an expensive infatuation.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 09:18:10 AM »
Works of art, every one.  I have handled, but never fired a P7.  That is probably a shortcoming on my part.  But, I hate to try one because its a sure ticket to an expensive infatuation.

+1
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 03:45:25 PM »
I appreciate the re-posting of the pix, for I had not seen them before.  They are beautiful weapons.  I have handled a P7, but didn't fire it.  Had a chance to trade for it but declined because I didn't know enough about them.  As I, on occasion, use this forum as a personal journal, I hope I haven't violated any forum protocol.  Sometimes fine spirits will bring that out in a guy.   :)
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 05:48:24 PM »
I appreciate the re-posting of the pix, for I had not seen them before.  They are beautiful weapons.  I have handled a P7, but didn't fire it.  Had a chance to trade for it but declined because I didn't know enough about them.  As I, on occasion, use this forum as a personal journal, I hope I haven't violated any forum protocol.  Sometimes fine spirits will bring that out in a guy.   :)

Thank you, AT. Mercifully, it was only a Zinfandel and not one of those splendid libations you keep on hand in "The Toadville Tavern." Lord only knows the depth of rumination a few measures of Glenfiddich might have induced.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 08:15:27 PM »
Almost finished with 2 shots of Lagavulin 16.  One more and God knows what pictures will show up here.  Richard, the pictures were beautifully done and I, for one, enjoyed seeing pistols that would make anyone proud.  If I hadn't just gotten on the Boberg list, I'd be bidding on a P-7!  John
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 08:48:53 PM »
Almost finished with 2 shots of Lagavulin 16.  One more and God knows what pictures will show up here.  Richard, the pictures were beautifully done and I, for one, enjoyed seeing pistols that would make anyone proud.  If I hadn't just gotten on the Boberg list, I'd be bidding on a P-7!  John

John:

Lagavulin 16 Single Malt . . . ! The Forum obviously attracts connoisseurs of more than fine pocket pistols.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 11:20:20 PM »
Third scotch finished.

Nothin' fancy, but they all go BANG when you pull the trigger.  The R9S is no longer with me...sold it for a Covert...need to update the picture I guess.  Back to the Islay.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 12:13:12 AM »
Dang….Backup has me in the mood to scour the finer markets in town for some of that 16 YO Lagavulin….a fine single malt indeed and been years since I last had a sip…  Richard…”splendid libations”….spoken like a true Gentleman and coinsurer of fine beverage…yes, the ruminations such things bring….y’all make me smile, and that is sometimes rare in my world….  Adjectives alone are not enough to describe the appreciation I have for the friends and fellow Great Americans I have met and found on this forum…. 

i love seeing all pictures, even re-posts...for a fine weapon deserves another look....And a fine scotch...well, that's always welcomed in my book...
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 02:23:17 PM »
John:

If that is an Austin-Healey 3000 I see in that first photograph, it would seem that we have in common an appreciation of vintage English sports cars in addition to fine firearms and well-aged libations. My first automobile was a 1954 Triumph TR2 purchased while I was working my way through GWU night school in Washington, D. C. It is obvious from this 1956 photograph that I wasn't too pleased with my frat brother's having taken the liberty of planting his scruffy backside on the left-rear fender of my pride and joy:

Edit: "fender".
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 08:25:35 AM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 02:34:46 PM »
Richard, you should'a' belted him!  Great looking car! 

Yep, that was my '67 sitting outside my quarters in Bamberg in 1970.  Sold it in 1977 and have regretted it ever since.  Had a friend with a yellow TR2 while in high school (lived in Falls Chuch/Mclean area and went to McLean HS).  Had a ball in it...could drag my knuckles on the ground from the seat.  Nothing like the smell of hot oil, old leather, wet Wilton carpet, gasoline (and a little mildew sometimes). 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis