Author Topic: ZDDP additive  (Read 6557 times)

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
ZDDP additive
« on: May 30, 2012, 08:00:36 AM »
Just wanted to throw this out there for those who use engine oil to treat their guns.

I own an older exotic car which has Tappet Valves.  When doing oil changes, I have to make sure that the ZDDP content is  higher, due to the tight tolerances and pressures placed on the valves.   Due to EPA regulations, engine oil companies have significantly reduced the ZDDP content in modern engine oils.  Here is a a fact data sheet from Mobil 1 which shows the PPM content of ZDDP in their oils.......

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

I personally use ZDDP Plus oil additive to my oil to keep that level higher.  While I am no chemist... and do not know if the Zinc/Phosphorus content is reactive with the metals on the Rohrbaugh, but I would suggest that using and engine oil with the highest ZDDP content could not hurt. 

Any thoughts or comments?
Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

Offline Dire_Straits

• Sharpshooter
Re: ZDDP additive
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 03:10:19 PM »
Nothing, other than motor oil is ONLY a lube, it provides no rust protection whatsoever and it oxidizes easily when exposed to "open air".

If you want to use motor oil for a lube, I suggest you mix it with Automatic Transmission Fluid on a 1:1 ratio. The ATF will provide the needed rust protection.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, said the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. Revelation 1:8

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 12:25:38 AM »
Nothing, other than motor oil is ONLY a lube, it provides no rust protection whatsoever and it oxidizes easily when exposed to "open air".

WoW!

I have a hard time swallowing this. 

I am not challenging you at all.  It is such total news to me and goes against my experience.

Example:

My Dillon Reloading Machines:  2) RL 1050's, 1) RL550

The main rams are "in the white".  Which are prone to rust easily.

Dillon recommends lubing with just 30 Wt motor oil.  They go for very long periods of nonuse, sometimes over a year.  And lube jobs are sometimes 3-5 years apart. 

There is no rust on the Rams.

Sorry, the third pic was clear on my end.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:46:48 AM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Dire_Straits

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 11:42:58 AM »
Wasn't taken as a challenge at all.....we're all adults, we don't have to agree.

Motor oil is a lube, from everything I've read, there are no corrosion inhibitors added, it's designed to work in a "sealed environment" i.e., your crankcase and engine.

ATF is also designed to work in a similar environment, but corrosion inhibitors are added. That's the reason most guys using motor oil as a lube mix it on a 1:1 ratio with ATF; corrosion protection.

Again, from my experience most guys using motor oil as a lube are using synthetic motor oil like Mobil 1, AMSOIL or Royal Purple use it because it does not draw moisture and oxidize as quickly as conventional oil.

I see from your photos, that it is working for you and that's great, but I wonder if we're not comparing apples to oranges. AR's and CCW's are exposed to moisture, whether it be sweat or rain and snow; you're reloading equipment is not.

Anyhow, if you'd like, I can provide you with a couple of links to threads where motor oil was tested head-to-head with other gun oils on the market. They are nothing too scientific, just a gun owner, some steel plates and various oils, but the results are interesting. Also, you can go over to AR15.com and read lube threads on the Maintenance and Cleaning Forum until your head hurts.

Cheers.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, said the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. Revelation 1:8

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »
Back during my years in Africa, I would see guns in the field being cleaned with gasoline and lubed with used motor oil strained through cloth. It wasn't "pretty," but then neither were the circumstances. Those characters didn't know or care whether the motor oil contained Zinc Dialkyl-Dithio-Phosphate (ZDDP). All they wanted was for their firearms to work. (Our EPA wouldn't have approved of a lot of things that were going on over there at the time.)

Except on one or two occasions, I have not used motor oil on a firearm. There are so many excellent products available today that are designed specifically for use in firearms that it can make one's head spin. For years my preferred products came from Ballistol and Super Lube. These days, I'm using Frog Lube. However, I suspect that the entire area of cleaning/lubricant selection encompasses a number of hot-button issues that will be debated for years to come.

I suppose it all comes down to each person's finding what works for him or her and going with it.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 07:12:05 PM »
 Dear D & All,

I agree with Richard! There are tons of great products out there for firearms. I have to agree with all of the manufacturers that say use what you want so long as the maker says it is intended for firearms.
 Most of my guns get Weapon Shield except for the R9 that gets EEzeox based on advice here.

I do use Mobil 1 in my cars and full synthetic oil in the 6.0L F350!

Robar233