Author Topic: Don't give away free stuff...  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Don't give away free stuff...
« on: November 01, 2005, 01:11:46 AM »
Warning, completely devoid of gun content...

So, we gave away about 4k ice cream cones today -- thing we always do for kids who show up in costume  -- had nothing but rude behavior, complaints about the limited flavors, (soft-serve frozen custard in either strawberry -- flavored only w. our strawberries, bananna (only w. real banannas) vanilla and chocolate) that we were too slow, that the cones weren't big enough (1 normal scoop size for kids, and a 2 scoop size for the parents), that we required people to be in a costume, that they couldn't have milk shakes or sundaes, or bottles of coke, etc etc etc.  On busy summer days, I have a similar number of people PAY for ice cream (I'm good, not cheap, to heck w. good, if I can think of a way to improve quality, I do it, and charge accordingly, I go for perfection) and they're happy -- I don't want to do it ever again...but we've always done it..
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Don't give away free stuff...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 06:32:12 AM »
Brad,

Some people are without good manners and good taste.  Those flawed characteristics must have been passed on to the children.

I'm sorry you got rewarded so poorly.

It has to take the fun out of Halloween.

Bill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 08:44:51 AM »
Ag,

Sorry to hear that.  I hate it when good people do good things and don't get the appreciation they deserve.  I hope there were others who were genuinely appreciative -- although I know the complaints always seem louder.

Usually when I get down on people as a whole, something happens that lifts me up again.  I hope that is coming for you.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 06:02:35 PM »
Some people just can't get enough free stuff, as they sit on their front porch.
Go figure.Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 07:20:16 PM »
You do not have to have money to have class.  I don't understand why some folks just can not say 'thanks'.  

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 08:57:08 PM »
4K cones..Holy cow!!! :o

Thats a lotta ice cream..

I commend you for your generosity!!

I hope that "most" people were decent to you..

I know that a few bad A-ples can make it bad!!

Once again-thanks for doing the right thing..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 12:58:07 PM »
Aglifter:

You show real class.  Some people just don't have any at all.  In the immortal words of General Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell, Illegitimi non carborundum.   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 10:01:58 PM »
Quote from: Aglifter
So, we gave away about 4k ice cream cones today -- thing we always do for kids who show up in costume ..[/quote

When I was a kid there was an ice cream shop, Woods was the name, that always gave away good treats at Halloween.  One year it was (home-made) ice cream cones.  Another, it was the best candy apples ever made.  
Guess where us kids went whenever we had a spare quarter?

Aglifter, I hope you make back the price of those 4k cones a hundred times over!!  :D

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 10:05:42 PM »
Brad - a very, very sad reflection on our society today - in particular re the kids and their, in many cases, total crap parent's efforts.

That is enough to turn you off doing it - probably has and I would feel pretty bitter about it in your shoes.

Reminds me of - way back when I did all sorts of things - if someone asked for a ''cheap job'', ya know, basic, cut to the bone.  Could all but guarantee that after they'd be whining - ''but this is not perfect - that is not perfect''.  Answer being - ''well, you did ask for a cheap job''!  I mean, what do folks expect?  Yeah - I know  - something for nothing!

I soon offered only two options - middle ground or top of range - middle ground usually did fine - meant I made some money and customer was generally satisfied.

What is that old saying - ''never look a gift horse in the mouth'' - seems these kids have attitude.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 12:12:41 AM »
My FREE ice cream cone isn't big enough?! >:( :(

::) ::) ::) ::). . . . some people.

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 11:14:34 PM »
Aglifter,
I’m sorry to hear about the rude treatment to got in return for your generosity. We here at the forum respect you for your good deeds.

Ed