Author Topic: Skyy CPX-1  (Read 18930 times)

Offline Fud

• Master
Skyy CPX-1
« on: December 11, 2005, 01:52:32 AM »
Anybody know anything about the Skyy CPX-1

?

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
Re: Skyy CPX-1
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 07:14:32 AM »
It's a knock-off of the Kel-tec P-11.  Like the Cobra and one or two other attempts to copy George Kelgren's success, I doubt much will come of it.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 10:18:51 AM »
Seems to have some improvements over the P-11 ... has a repeat striker capability and a manual safety.

Offline eblackhawk

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 02:30:55 PM »
I must admit that I have never heard of it but I must admit it looks good and the price point is tempting...

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 04:34:36 PM »
The company seems to be proud of it; of course, I guess
they all are at first.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 07:35:25 PM »
Seems to have some improvements over the P-11 ... has a repeat striker capability and a manual safety.

The KT P-11 and P-40/P-357 have a repeat striker capability. It is the P-32 and P-3AT that do not.  In a DAO pistol with a long trigger pull, I see no need for a manual safety -- just one more thing to get in the way (and something to remember to take "off" when the self defense situation arises).

The Skyy uses a propriatary magazine (a 9-round one -- rather than KT's now available 12-rounder), therefore the S&W 59 series magazines will not work in the gun -- neither will the KT magazines.

I see it as no improvement... :P  Just someone's attempt to cash in on another's success.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 07:37:17 PM by flyandscuba »

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 08:24:53 PM »
I see no need for a manual safety -- just one more thing to get in the way (and something to remember to take "off" when the self defense situation arises).
Proper training will take care of that and if someone should grab your gun, a safety can prevent the gun from being used on you. Read a number of reports where this actually happened to LEO -- criminal grabbed their gun and went to shoot and the gun would not fire because the safety was on. The LEO was then either able to grab the gun back and shoot with his BUG.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 11:54:13 PM »
I guess you'd want a manual safety on a revolver too -- or, maybe the Rohrbaugh... ::)  

Worried about someone getting your gun?  Learn retention techniques and carry an HK P7 and you'll get added protection...most BGs know nothing about a squeeze cocker.  ;D

I still say the Skyy is no improvement over the KT, just a low production rate clone that will be lucky to survive.

BTW, the VP of Skyy signed on the KT Owner's Group forum -- did not identify who he was, but posed as a "satisfied Skyy customer" -- and started talking up the Skyy.  When confronted as to if he had any vested interest in the gun (he was a new poster on the forum), he denied it -- repeatedly....  Until, he was "busted" by TxCajun who found a similar posting from the same guy on a non-gun forum where he openly admitted his position as the VP of the company.

So, you initially  asked if anyone knew anything about the Skyy.  I know this, they copied the design from George Kelgren -- and a principal of the company (Skyy) went on the web forum of his competitor's owner's group (KTOG), trying to play up his new product -- denied what he was doing, and then got caught.  Though the President of Skyy later posted a letter of confession and "reprimand", I say dishonest business practices usually run deeper than any isolated event that comes to light.

It may be a quality product in terms of manufacturing, since it is from a CNC shop. The Autuaga was a quality gun too (a copy of Larry Seecamp's fine pistol).  But the Autuaga didn't last long...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 12:06:38 AM by flyandscuba »

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 02:24:29 PM »
I am always happy to see another gun company pop up.  Who knows, these guys may have something to offer.  If their MSRP is any indication, they may be undercutting KT on the proces to some degree... or at least keeping them honest.  ;)

These guys could be worth a look.  Don't rule them out just yet.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 03:15:05 PM »
Hope they have to live with the stigma of " Looking like a Kel- Tec."    

I never cared for folks that copy, because they can.
RJ=

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 04:23:05 PM »
I dont know enought about it to say it is a copy.

Lets face it, most modern companies have copied JMB to some degree.  The modern gun designs share a lot in common across the board.

Does it look like a KT?  Yes, to some degree.  It also looks a little like a Sig or HK to me.  There are only so many ways to make a gun.  When people come up with unique ideas, they patent them.  If not, the market takes care of itself.  If Skyy has nothing to offer over a KT (i.e., no better design, price, value, customer service, features, etc.) they probably won't survive.

My only point is that we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss a new gun company that has the guts to make a run of it in today's legal and political climate.  Competition is the American way -- it is what keeps prices in line and keep companies pushing for the next best product.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 04:40:04 PM »
I'll let you know how it shoots - I'll have one in about a week.  ;)
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 05:42:01 PM »
 My point is, it looks like a Kel-Tec..   Many Pistols have distinctive machine cuts in the slide, that could have  been another way,  and avoid the *Copy* look.

RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 06:25:10 PM »
Mixed thoughts!

I wish new ventures success for most part - folks who take on the market etc.  However, am not too sure if it will survive the extant competion - and certainly the boss man's deception hardly warms one to the cause!!! ::)

Guess we'll see.  The ocean is large but not all swimmers stay afloat.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline StogieC

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 08:13:28 PM »
My father-in-law got a Skyy CPX1 a few weeks ago. I put about 50 rounds through it and liked it better than my old P-11.  Enough that I registered http://www.SkyyForum.com after shooting it. I'll be getting my hands on one of my own soon and will post a comprehensive review.

My disclaimer, I have no relation with Skyy Industries. I do live in the same area but I have not even met anyone from the company.
I say this because their VP went on another forum pretending to be a "satisfied customer". He got busted, came clean, and apologized.