Author Topic: Need opinions (Glock 19 sale?)  (Read 19201 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Need opinions (Glock 19 sale?)
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 10:18:40 AM »
If you sell the G19 replace it with a G26 but not the Walther IMO. ::)

Newt:

I never thought I would say this, being a hard-core 1911 type, but I've been considering a Glock 26 as what might be termed "a knock-around truck gun" because of it's ammo compatibility with my R9 (which I would never allow to be knocked around in the console of a truck). I've never shot the G26. Since you obviously like the model, I would appreciate having your observations about it.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 01:37:06 PM »
I once owned the Glock 27 which is the .40 S&W model. I have similar feelings against Glocks expressed by others in this forum.

I have to say that the gun performed well and I can only repeat what I have stated consistently: Glocks are ugly but well engineered.

The Glock 36 (single stack compact .45ACP) is the one I have kept. Great gun to shoot in a great caliber. However, any comparison of a Glock to a 1911 is no contest. John Browning's immortal design is going to win 10 times out of 10.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 02:37:33 PM »
Richard,

I own a 26 and wholeheartedly recommend it; one good thing about
it is that you could carry a 15 or 17 round spare magazine and use
it as a backup in the 26.

The only thing I don't care for in the Glocks are the cheap factory
sights but would be ok for your truck carry. The factory night sites
seem to be acceptable.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 03:40:57 PM »
ACP & Tracker:

Thank you, gentlemen. That about seals it for me. I think I'll go get me a "truck gun."  (I may have to take a good deal of ribbing from some of my friends around here who have had to put up with my "1911 evangelism" over the years, but if it gets too bad I know where most of them have "tied their goats."   ;) )
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Ratzo

• Forum Contributor
  • Expert
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 03:42:21 PM »
Forum People:

Never let a Jury hear you Say that a Pistol or Revolver is Pretty, may cause you problems down the road?

Glocks may be Ugly as Some say, but let me see you take a so called pretty gun throw it in the mud leave it for a couple of days and then continue shooting.

Just a thought, my 2 %.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 05:23:32 PM »
Ratzo makes a good point about saying a gun is pretty. In fact, 1911 has lost favor with LEOs and citizens because lawyers have (successfully) argued to jurors that "cock and lock" feature of the 1911 shows intent; this despite the fact that the perpetrator initiates the event.

That is why so many LEOs use Glocks and Sigs, particularly DAO.

As to Ratzo's comment regarding Glock reliability, it is true. Magnificent engineering. Ugly gun.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 05:33:10 PM »
Speaking of Glocks and Trucks....

If you own a Toyota Tundra with a Center Console (as I do), take a look.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-interior-discussion/73414-you-gun-lovers.html

BTW- That is not my modification.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 05:35:34 PM by Jack_Bauer »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 09:17:26 PM »
I have a G-19 sold my G-26 to my son-inlaw and traded my
 G-36 for a Colt New Agent (that I found out today needs to go back to Colt for some recall work :() I also had a Walther PPS that I sold to buy my R9s, it was one of the first 100 after the 1000 First Editions. It was a fine carry gun very slim
shot well, never had a problem. With the first ones some people had issues, they seem to have all that worked out now.
  If you need something that is easy to CC and is a quality product you won't go wrong with the PPS, it can also be had in .40S&W.
John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 03:24:34 PM »
I have and have had a bunch of Glocks.  Fun to work on, cheep to modify, and lots of buyers when you want to sell one.  

I even have a Glock 22 "race gun" that you might think is pretty.

My favorite is a my Glock 32c which is a 357 sig compensated from Glock. This is my truck gun. XS Big Dot night sights work great for my eyes.

If you like your 1911 buy a "drop in" Bar Sto barrel  for around $200 and your Glock will now shoot groups just as well.

Rocket trigers are great if you like fiddling and have a few hours.  Not for carry though, you need a New Yourk trigger for that.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 03:50:32 PM by Dino »

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 07:24:21 PM »
Just remembered: I owned a Glock 29 prior to my Glock 36. 10MM. Now, that was recoil!

.45ACP is preferable to 10MM in my view. Gets the job done, ammo is more available and does not punish your hand.

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 09:32:59 AM »
Everyone needs to own a 10mm just once in there lifetime.  It is a good back up gun for hunting in the subcompact as it is light and powerful.

I love my 45's, but the 357 sig has velocity that not much can mach. IMO

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 01:52:30 PM »
Dino

I am not a hunter but the 10MM would certainly be a good contender as backup for dangerous game. (Something above red squirrel, although those creatures continue to plaque my birdfeeder).

I have a Sig P239 with two barrels. The .40 S&W barrel is unused, whereas the .357 Sig barrel has many rounds through it and I concur with your faith in the cartridge.

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2009, 08:41:34 AM »
I Love Sigs also just playing with my P250 now.  Not the same quality as your P239 but I like playing with my guns and you sure can do that with the 250.

In 9mm compact now but just ordered set up for the 40 subcompact.  

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 09:41:16 AM »
The 250 is an ingenious gun design in which you can create multiple formats. However, I am prejudiced toward metal guns.

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2009, 06:12:22 PM »
Understand ACP, as for me, if it goes bang I like it.