Author Topic: Sig P938 Is Here  (Read 18027 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Sig P938 Is Here
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 12:08:06 PM »

That doesn't sound good for an $809 MSRP pistol. Thanks for your review and post.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 05:22:39 PM »
So far no issues with mine, I haven't gotten into a large variety of ammo yet (it's been 100 degrees every day since I got it) I did put another 25 rounds of Blazer Aluminum through it yesterday.  8)
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 12:43:09 AM »
I stumbled upon my P938 at the local Academy Sports yesterday.  $699   8)
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 10:05:58 AM »
I got mime off GunBroker for $690 shipped.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 02:58:17 AM »
I got mine back from service with a sweet 5 lb. trigger job.  Unfortunately, it still FTEs about 10% of the time.   Looks like a 2nd trip back to Exeter is in the pistol's future.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2012/07/sig-sauer-p938-review-part-4-back-from.html
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 07:31:02 PM »
It's not one I intend to purchase, but for anyone interested here is another source that just appeared in my inbox:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p938/

[Edit: Improved link.]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:33:06 AM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 11:02:08 PM »
That's a better price than I paid.  Top Gun is where my extra mags came from.  Super quick ship and nice to deal with.

Sig CS is taking the pistol back a second time after viewing my video and apparently reading my post on the Sig forum that I've attached below.  The conversation today was so much different than the conversation we had on Monday when I posted the message below.   Hopefully, my inconvenience will help other owners down the road.

"I did call earlier today and have to say the customer service situation has changed dramatically. I think I've gotten the same CS Rep for all three of my calls. Normally, he's very nice and helpful. He listened again today and looked up my information. Then the change came.

All this time, the FTEs have been my problem because I'm using Win White box 115 FMJ, Federal Champion 115 Grain FMJ, and Remington UMC 115 Grain JHP. The gun is fine, it's the ammo that's the problem! At this point I think I threw up in my mouth a bit. I was really hoping they weren't going to play the "must use premium ammo" card on the FTE problems, but it came out today. I did mention that the manual doesn't say anything about not using 115 grain ammo that costs less than $20 per box. He just kept pushing me toward Speer Lawman for practice. If ammo is the identified problem, why wouldn't they have included something about that when my pistol was returned from service last Thursday?

The next card in the "let's make excuses" deck is the operator error (aka limp wristing) card. He pulled that one too.

He completed the excuse tri-fecta of "gun makers that have problems that they have no idea how to fix", with the statistics that 90% of the 938s being returned are test fired by the smiths and no problems are found so they are returned without fixing anything.

I can see where this is going and I had really hoped it wouldn't end up this way. Sig has found 2 varieties of ammo that work wonderfully with the gun. Some nameless 100 Grain frangible and Winchester 147 Grain Ranger T. They test with that ammo. The CS Rep flat out told me that Sig does not have any Win or Federal 115 Grain FMJ or Rem/UMC 115 Grain JHP in their testing ammo stocks. That makes no sense to me since these are probably some of the most widely available and commonly used practice rounds. Since they don't have the "problem" ammo, they can't replicate the FTE issues. According to the CS Rep, if the smiths can't replicate the problem, they can't fix it. Not sure where your average shooter is supposed to find LE boxes of Winchester Ranger T's in 147 Grain. I don't remember ever seeing frangible ammo on the shelf of any local ammo retailer. I do know that Sig could drop in any local Sports or Mass Retailer and locate some of that Federal, Winchester, or Remington/UMC problem ammo.

I took the high road. I didn't lose my cool. I asked for a contact email address so I could send him a link to the testing video from this weekend. He said he would let the Smiths review it and he would get back to me on a path forward. That was hours ago, but I'll let it go until Wednesday and I will call them back and have them issue another return authorization."

I'll let you know how the second trip home turns out if you guys are still interested.
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 06:42:51 PM »
Hornady and Sig seem to have a few things in common; they try to fix the blame instead of the problem. Additionally, they were both first rate companies with superior products. Now, it seems that their primary strength lies in the fine art of self justification.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:32:11 PM by tracker »

Offline billib

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 11:44:08 PM »
Since we're kinda' talkin' about imperfections
in pistols........has anyone heard of the 1911-
ISPT (Idiot Scratch Prevention Tool)?
When you reassemble the 1911 by locking
the slide back in place on the frame, you
can (will) scratch the frame in the process.
Heres the cure:http://www.idiotscratch.com/buy-now.shtml
They make one for the P238 as well as other
models but not the P938, at least not yet.
Worth an eMail to anyone interested.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 08:16:16 AM »
Since we're kinda' talkin' about imperfections
in pistols........has anyone heard of the 1911-
ISPT (Idiot Scratch Prevention Tool)?
When you reassemble the 1911 by locking
the slide back in place on the frame, you
can (will) scratch the frame in the process.
Heres the cure:http://www.idiotscratch.com/buy-now.shtml
They make one for the P238 as well as other
models but not the P938, at least not yet.
Worth an eMail to anyone interested.

Interesting. And here I've been using duct tape for that purpose all these years.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 08:56:47 AM »
Here is something you can do that will solve the problem and require no extra baggage while reassembling the gun.
It's called the Log Man Mod, I'm having it done on my Custom 1911 while it's at the shop.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=214653
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 03:17:38 PM »
I just live with the inevitable scratch.  If JMB wasn't concerned, then I'm not either.   ;D

Offline billib

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
It looks like something that could be made
using an old credit card and a drill bit plus
an exacto knife. It wouldn't cost anything
to try.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 03:25:19 PM »
Ok, I take that back.  From this day forward, I will add a used Fender ultra-lite guitar pick to my cleaning kit and promise to use it ever time I clean my 1911-like pistols that may be idiot marked.  I may even throw a pick in my range bag too.

Offline billib

• Expert
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 03:29:28 PM »
You know now that you mention it, I had
an old friend that served in the army and
I think he mentioned something about
using a guitar pick.
I've been enjoying your Youtube target
practice, BTW.