Author Topic: 1st Range Visit, new Pup  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Jgf329

1st Range Visit, new Pup
« on: May 19, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »
Picked up a new R9s this week, and took it to the range yesterday for the first time. I had some Gold Dot 115  gr. as well as some Federal Premium 135 gr. to try out in addition to some Federal ball 115 gr. ammo.

The second round didn't fully extract, so I cleared the jam and reloaded. Shot a few with no issue, then experienced quite a few jams. Some wouldn't fully extract, other times a round would dig into the feed ramp and jam. The nose of the bullets were getting gouged with a half moon shape, and a few of the cases had dents in the top.

I brought along my other mags from my older R9, and those functioned ok except toward the end of the session where the barrel began to foul and didn't eject. This leads me to believe this may be a magazine issue, where the new mags springs were not yet broken in and a bit stiffer than the older mags.  Anyone have any insight to confirm this suspicion? Should I keep the mags loaded for a while and see if that does the trick?

Total rounds fired were about 60, with half of those being the JHP defense rounds.  It seemed that no type of ammo I had was more prone to malfunction than others.

This is my first new R9, so I'm not sure if this is just part of the break in process. My older R9 that I bought used was reliable from the first round.  Thanks for any advice before I call the manufacturer and possibly have to send it in.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: 1st Range Visit, new Pup
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 03:46:43 PM »
Did you disassemble, clean and lube before going to the range?  The Pup doesn't come out of the box ready to fire and does like to be nicely lubricated.  Still, this sounds like a magazine issue...might want to query Karl on this?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Jgf329

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 03:58:25 PM »
Yes, it was cleaned and lubed.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 04:15:33 PM »
Figured that but had to ask...no offense intended!  Clearly a mag issue.  I have 4 mags, all broken in and all functional (so far at least).
J
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 11:01:58 PM »
I get freaked out easily by malfunctions and then have a nagging doubt in my mind that I can't shake...

I had read that people seemed to have the least amount of problems with 124gr Gold Dots.  So I put 100 rounds of 124gr Gold Dots through my R9 before I did anything else.

I wanted to carry Winchester RA9T so a put a few mags of those through my R9.

For Practice I tried 124 gr and 147gr Lawman.  I also had 147gr Blazzer Brass but for some reason those were keyholing badly - they cycled the R9 just fine but they were tearing he hell out of the target so I stopping shooting them out of the R9.

The Gold Dots and the Ranger T work fine.  I don't notice any difference between shooting 124gr Lawman and the 124gr Lawman or the Ranger T for that matter so now that I found what works in my R9 I'm going to shoot Lawman for practice capped off with 7 rounds of Ranger T, and that's probably going to be the only ammunition my R9 will eat from now on.