Author Topic: Holster Set  (Read 9878 times)

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
Holster Set
« on: July 10, 2015, 07:30:33 PM »
I decided to make some matching holsters for my Rohrbaugh and my Seecamp. They're smooth cowhide on the inside and the outside is Blue Giraffe with some Elephant trim.  I'm trying to decide on which hide to use to make the back"wallet" panel for the Seecamp.  So far I think it will end up being elephant.   I'm working on a set of front pocket ones as well.   I'm pretty sure they will be either Black Elephant or Stingray.    Let me know what you think.

Brian
DesignerGrips@Gmail.com

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 12:03:01 PM by Brian »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Holster Set
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 08:23:43 PM »
Wow those are pretty wild Brian.

I'll look forward to seeing the finished product man.

What does a piece like that go for?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 10:40:14 AM »
Very cool, I love the Giraffe. Post the finish product please, these look great!

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 08:16:58 PM »
Finally finished my matching Rohrbaugh and Seecamp Rigs.   I'll definitely be doing more Blue Giraffe.  I really like the way it looks.

Brian
Designergrips@Gmail.com

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 12:07:02 PM by Brian »

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 08:19:02 PM »
I decided to add one more thing to the Rohrbaugh holster.  I'm putting a cap on top that hides the gun better if someone happens to look down into your pocket.  It swivels out of the way when the gun is drawn.  I haven't sewn it in place yet but here's what it will look like.  I think it hides the  gun well from a casual glance into the pocket. 

Opinions and suggestions are always welcome.

Brian
DesignerGrips@Gmail.com

#1  Rohrbaugh in holster viewed from the top
#2   Same view with cap in place
#3   Cap swings out of the way as gun is drawn. 

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:21:11 PM by Brian »

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 09:09:40 PM »
Very nice..

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 09:27:57 PM »

Very thoughtful but I can't recall the last time someone peeked into my pocket; on the other hand, why not put it there? Most pockets' contents are not visible from the outside looking down.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 09:30:33 AM »

Very thoughtful but I can't recall the last time someone peeked into my pocket; on the other hand, why not put it there? Most pockets' contents are not visible from the outside looking down.

I wear some cargo shorts with fairly wide/open pockets that leave the pistol visible from the right angle...think this is a good idea for use with similar garments.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline pjames32

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 06:39:18 PM »
Nice workmanship. They look good!
PJ

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 09:36:55 PM »
Nice. I like the cap for the reduced visibility if carrying back pocket.

I don't carry the R9 back pocket for that reason. It's too visible. If it doesn't hinder the draw it's an innovative idea.

Nice looking holsters.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 10:17:20 AM »
In a way I agree with Tracker because I figure that anyone looking that close at my big butt is a sicko anyway and I don't care what they see.  But then again the "Visibility" problem is the main reason that I've heard for people not carrying their Rohrbaughs in the rear pocket.  Lets face it, if someone can see it it isn't exactly concealed is it? 

What got me working on a solution was a conversation I had with my brother up in NY state.  If I understood him correctly their concealment law requires that the gun be 100% hidden.  If someone can see any portion of your gun it is not concealed and you can get in all kinds of Stupid NY gun law trouble.  And I guess that can get pretty ugly. 

So in an effort to solve the problem I thought I'd try the Concealment Cap.  It does not interfere with the draw in any way and it keeps the shiny parts from view.  if anyone has a different idea I'll be glad to give it a try and report back on this forum. 

Brian
designerGrips@Gmail.Com
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:33:34 PM by Brian »

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 07:15:08 PM »
Josh A,

I apologize for not responding to you earlier.  I haven't figured out a price for these yet but, like everything else I make, they are for sale.   You're welcome to email me at the address below and I'll be glad to send you a quote as soon as I set the price.  I can do similar sets in Stingray, Elephant, Snake, Lizard,  etc.   

I do not get into the plain leather holsters like cowhide, although all my holsters are lined with it.  There are so many remarkable craftsmen out there that I decided to stick with the exotics.  I do 90% of my work in stingray and hope to continue that way.  The Giraffe happened to be available and I thought I'd give it a try.  And I'm glad I did. 

You can see my work Seecamp holster work here  http://www.echartholder.com/seecamp-holsters--grips.html.  Now that I have a Rohrbaugh to work with I hope to build a few of those as well.  I hope I didn't come to late to the party.

Brian
DesignerGrips@Gmail.com

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 07:30:26 PM »
Brian: I just went on your website and looked at all your exquisite grips. Every time I said " I want that one ", I moved onto the next one and said the same. Beautiful workmanship! Best of luck with your health issues.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 11:25:00 PM »
Front pocket carry is my primary carry in summer.  I've never noticed my R9 showing, but I have deep pockets.  The only pocket gun I have noticed showing is the grip of a J frame peeking out. 

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 01:07:16 AM »
In jeans, business casual and even suit & tie business slacks my R9 disappears in my front pocket.

Here are some straight down pictures with 2 pairs of jeans - I think one pair is Lees and the other is generic Walmart.

I do wonder though what giraffe tastes like.