Author Topic: First Rounds thru the R9s  (Read 4682 times)

Offline 5hole

First Rounds thru the R9s
« on: June 11, 2006, 02:04:23 PM »
I recently picked up my R9s. When I purchased the pup, I asked the dealer for Winchester Silvertips or Speer 115 GDHP. He had neither and supplied me with a box of Remington 115 GR. MC and a box of Federal 147 GR Hydra-Shok.

I was leary of firing the Federals so I used the Remington first. The first 2 rounds fired well and the 3rd and 5th round mis-fed. I explained to the gun dealer, as I have been reading the forum before I picked up my R9, that I had read that the pup was finicky on the ammunition that it was fed. He told me Remington was a quality ammo and I shouldn't have a problem. I now know one thing for sure, I know more about the R9 than my gun dealer.

As for the Federal 147 GR Hydro-Shok, it did not mis-feed after 6 rounds. However, the larger bullet definately makes the R9 a little difficult to control. I will not fire the R9 again until I have the Winchester Silvertips or Speer 115 GDHP cartridges as this informative forum recommends. ;)

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
Re: First Rounds thru the R9s
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 03:38:16 PM »
Some of us who use North American Arms Guardians have had light strike problems with Remington ammo.  I'd test as many things as you can so that you know what works best in your gun.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 03:54:28 PM »
My opinions only here guys.

Overall Remington is the lowest quality ammo of the Big Three you can get.  If you can get Winchester or Federal then get it.  I am not happy saying this as the Remington ammo plant is in my state and employs local people but as a long time shooter and reloader of many calibers I have found that Remington ammo AND components are not as good as Winchester or Federal.  Those are the facts as I have come to know them and I get no pleasure in saying this.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 04:08:05 PM »
I agree, Mike.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 06:59:01 PM »
The only good thing about Remington ammo is it is usually cheap, however it is also not very good at shooting good groups.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 07:37:57 PM »
Since Winchester has stopped making guns does anyone know if this will affect the Winchester ammo brand?
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 08:21:47 PM »
MountainMan,

As with Remington, the firearms division and the ammo division are completely seperate enteties.  The demise of the Winchester gun production in the U.S.  will have no effect on the Winchester brand of ammunition.  They are associated in name only.

Mike

NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 02:10:42 AM »
I'm also of the opinion that Remington ammo is junk -- I've had boxes of 45-70 w. split cases, and 45 acp w. loose bullets.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 07:55:44 AM »
I like and have had excellent results with Golden Sabers in .45acp and 9mm. I don't like the cheap stuff like UMC though.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 07:56:34 AM by harrydog »

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 05:42:42 PM »
In defense of Remington, I have noticed if you have a finicky gun the Remingtons standard hollowpoint seems to feed in it. ( probably due to the rounded profile) At anyrate, when everything jams, I reach for the Remingtons. My Old Walther P-38 chokes on any hollowpoint offered up till I stoke it with Remingtons. If your looking for hard primers try CCI or S&B. I know a few long in the tooth 1911s that also have a preferance for Remingtons but I agree, the quality is not that of other manufacturers