Author Topic: Range Report for New K380s  (Read 4958 times)

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
Range Report for New K380s
« on: June 26, 2012, 02:29:07 AM »
After patiently waiting for my K380 to arrive.....I was eager to break in this weapon and start carrying  off duty.  Here is the detailed report.....

After  advice from the guys here...I broke down and cleaned the weapon, gaving it a little extra lube.  I have started using the Wilson Combat line, and really like thier products.  Light grease on the rails, and their red Ultima Lube for the other critical areas.  I installed John Perrin's hooked mag extensions [which worked awesome!!]  and decided to shoot the Speer's and the Hornaday's Critical Defense for today's run.  I had bought the grip tape, but figured I would try not using them for comparitive purposes.  With my Blue CF VZ grips already mounted from the factory, I was good to go.   

First impressions....
-  The gun is easy to draw from a thumb break holster [which is mandatory for police quals.] and       comes right on target. 
-  Recoil is noticeable but not a consideration.
-  The trigger pull is super smooth and breaks clean. 
-  First few shots were bit high, but afterward were right on the $$$.
-  Everything I shot while running my qual. course within the 15 yrd. line were right on target.
-  From the 25 yard, I needed to make some adjustments with the sights.  I threw 4 out of 12.

Minor issue...

-  Out of 150 rounds, I only had 4 partial ejections [3 from the HCD, and 1 from the Speer GDHP].  This could be from a multitude of factors (working a graveyard shift with only 4 hours of sleep therafter, 95 deg. weather, possible limp wrist, gun getting dirty and/or hot, lack of focus/concentration/fatigue).

-  1 FTF from the HCD round.  I was extremely hard to get that magazine out, but once it was stripped, racking the slide got the round out.  This happened toward the very end of my shooting.  The cause of this was due to dirty feed ramp coupled with that dopy red plastic tip of the round.  I think if it was a Speer round, it would have been fine. 

Major Issue...

-  At the end  of the day, I noticed the top right side grip screw was missing.  I couldn't believe it.  I know that they need to be checked, but I honestly thought I would be ok until I would clean the gun.    My fault for not tightening them down prior to its first use.  I figured that coming out of the factory, I would be ok.  Plus the sheer excitement of finally shooting this gun got the best of me.  I should have been more patient and taken a break half way through, but was on limited time with my police range.  [Our DPW doesn't like to eat their lunch to the sound of gunfire.....the nerve!! ]  Needless to say the grip screw issue is really my own fault, and not a manufacturing one. 

Post range gun cleaning....

-  John's takedown tool is a godsent and makes for a very easy disassembly. 
-  With 150 rounds spent rounds, this PUP was dirty.  Ironically much easier to clean than my duty and other off duty weapon.  The simplicity of the gun with its lack of bells and whistle's, renders itself less nooks and crannys to have to worry about. 
-  Taking apart the magazine for the first time was interesting...getting it back together was a royal PITA.  But practice makes perfect, and by the 3rd one, I was fine.     
-  I cleaned the barrel with the Wilson Combat "Carbon Cleaner".  I have to say, it worked very well, less caustic than the Hoppes #9 and has no ammonia.  The odor was also more pleasant to breathe. 

Overall:

-  I REALLY love this gun!!  When they say it's the Ferrari of the pocket guns, it's absolutely true!!  Everyone that has seen this gun, wants to fire it.  The workmansip is self explanatory.  I have to say that all the pics I saw here on the forum don't do this gun justice in person.  And the Blue CF VZ grips   
are a must!! 

-  In terms of ammo, this gun like the Speer GDHP better, and is more accurate than the HCD round.  I did treat myself to 2 boxes Wilson Combat's Custom Ammo, which I will shoot in the upcoming week.  I was eager to try this round due to it's ballistics, having low muzzle flash, clean burning, low recoil, deeper penetration than Speer DGHP and HCD round, plus the use of the Hornady XTP bullet.  I will post a follow up for the next range day, which will include the installation of the grip tape, the new Wilson ammo, addition of the stick on Nightsighters, and the Recluse Holster. 

Stay tuned!!   
Dom

Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Range Report for New K380s
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 08:29:23 AM »
Dom,
    Great report and sounds like you have a pup that will serve you well.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 11:03:44 AM »
great detailed range report. How are you going to carry it?  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 04:23:32 PM »
Good report. I like your positive attitude.

Thanks for sharing.  :)
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 05:58:40 PM »
Tom...I will mainly carry this weapon with the Recluse holster in my right side pocket.  It will be soo nice to not have a weapon on my waistside anymore being totally concealable.  Especially for summertime carry wearing loose clothing. 

Dom
Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,