Author Topic: Newest Kel-Tec P9F  (Read 6445 times)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Newest Kel-Tec P9F
« on: March 08, 2007, 12:47:05 PM »
Howdy - Finally made it to the range yesterday.  I had 6 pistols I had not shot yet that needed testing.

For those who do not know, the Kel-Tec P9F is  a single stack (7+1) 9mm just a little bit larger than the R9 and weights 12.7 0z..

Now I am not going to compare it to the R9. There is no comparison.
I know some people think poorly of Kel-Tecs, some love them.  I'm not going to get into all of that.

When I put the P9 on paper, no big deal.  About 3" groups at 1-11/2" left of center, using a variety of ammo at 7 yds.
Then I went the the 6" plate rack.  At 7 yds, just mowed 'em down as fast as I could align the the sights.  Stepped back to 10 yds, had to slow down a little, but was surprised at how fast I could clean the plate rack.

The more I shot this gun, the more I wanted to shoot it.  I could not put it down.  Did not have to wait to let it cool, did  not have one single malfunction of any type.  And I even put about 100 reloads through it as well.  Shot about 200 rounds total.

A point I would like to make is this; if this cheap POS (in some people's minds) can have a very successful range report with a early model run, without a single mishap - It is very very understandable when people get upset when their $1000.00 R9's  can't get through a mag or two without some kind of a problem.
Yeah and we all tell them to be patient and to do this and that , which is great.  But the gun should never have left the factory that way.  Why does the customer have to fiqure it out?  Or have to cover the expense and hassle of sending the gun back to the factory?   And it's not just one or two.

I'm not bad -mouthing the R9 or the factory, but stating the obvious.  

Reinz
by the way, I'm crazy in love with my R9
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
Re: Newest Kel-Tec P9F
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 02:41:02 PM »
I've had Timex watches that run as good as my Rolex watches but after a year of wearing my Timex watch I felt like throwing it away and getting something else, I never feel like throwing my Rolexes away. Some Kel-tecs run fine out of the box, alot don't and need extra attention, some R9's need extra attention: I clean out my tupperware cabinet every year after it gets lookin rattie'. Life goes on! :o
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 05:56:41 PM »
Reinz , "  just a little bit larger than the R9 "  I think that is why the R-9 must be so finely tuned. Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 09:11:36 PM »
I had the opportunity to shoot a PF9 the other day at a local shoot.  Personally I did not care for it.  The recoil was significantly greater than anticipated.  The grip texture added to the discomfort IMO.  While it did shoot accurately, after two mags worth, I knew it was not a gun that I would care to shoot again.

On a side note, I also got to shoot the new KT RFB.  That was a whole different experience.  The recoil was obviously there with the .308 round, but it was easily managed.  For those who might want a compact, larger caliber gun, the RFB may be the ticket for you.  It's my understanding that they will be available beginning the first quarter of 2008.
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline Hk-Itch

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 02:06:31 AM »
Sorry Reinz but I agree with Newt, Dan and K-Man, while I understand some owners frustration with their temporary malfunctioning R9's, the Rohrbaugh is a functional work of art.  It's design is simple, efficient and classic.  Theres pride in owning this gun.  But your right it would be nice if there were no issues at all with all of the guns coming off the assembly line.

I look at the Kel-Tec as a basic tool, serves it's purpose.  Nothing in the world wrong with that.  But I want something more in the guns I aquire.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 02:11:00 AM by Hk-Itch »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 04:38:25 AM »
K-man -I would have been done with the P9 myself after a mag or two myself had it not been for the steel at my disposal to shoot.  That's where the fun began.  

As far as the texture, that's where we differ as well. I do not want that gun to shift in hand one bit.  All my custom autos have 30 LPI sharp checkering that leaves it's mark when done.  And that's how I like it.  I assume you would prefer to soften those edges a bit for your liking.

As far as the other comments, I'm not sure you all got my point.  Reread my last few sentences.   I'm just saying , a gun of this calibur (R9) should not leave the factory with the problems it does.  It does not lead towards a good reputation.

I'm not trying to push Kel-Tecs.  Look at my signature line.  I collect and shoot high quality guns.  In addition, 1911s by Les Baer, Wilson Combat,Springfield Armory Custom Shop, Kimber Custom , STI ,and a local custom gunsmith.  I don't have any Norinco, Charles Daley, etc 1911's;  or  as Newt might say," Timex", pieces.
One of the other guns I was testing that day was a Sig X-5 Competition.  The only other pistol more expensive to my knowledge that they make is the P-210.
And of course I have many other top quality brand pieces as well, but I am not posting to brag on that.  I am only trying to tell you that I own top shelf products with a few "chevys" in the garage.  

I can put my nose in the air with the best of them.  I think S & W doesn't know how to make an auto (exceptions -1911's,Model 41, and  maybe the new M&P- the jury is still out).  Same goes for Ruger(exception-their 22 auto is one of the best ever made).

But that doesn't matter, my point is this; if Rohrbauh as company wants to grow and run with the big dogs-

When $1000.00 gun makers like Wilson or Kimber can not get away with gun issues like we have been talking about,  why should another?    And when a $250-$300 gunmaker can produce a flawless shooting weapon very similar in design to the average layman- - then why can't a $1000.00 gunmaker do it?

I think the R9 is the best pocket rocket on the market.  But if you(the company) can't step back and be critical of yourself, examine yourself from the inside, the competition will run you over.

Reinz
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 10:29:35 AM by Reinz »

Offline Hk-Itch

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 01:29:14 PM »
Got a point....if my high dollar Hk, Sig or Walther was acting up from the get go I would be upset and on the horn to somebody.  I guess it's somewhat expected/accepted from the R9s (extremely compact design, tight tolerances, serious caliber) so we tight'n our belt and move foward.  I also think that many of us who have reliable versions and are truely happy with our guns want those who have problem guns get those issues resolved quickly and painlessly.  But we wouldn't be having this thread if it were not an issue with some of the guns.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 09:18:50 PM »
Does it have a repeat striker capability like the R9?

Offline Newt

• Master
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 10:09:28 PM »
Hey Fud how many of those Pocket 9's ya got now?  :-X :P
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 12:05:29 AM »
 ;D

Offline Newt

• Master
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 10:22:02 AM »
Lookin good! Fine little guns, I got 2. ( sorry for off topic). :-/

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 04:45:02 AM »
Fudster - no repeat striker capability.    But to recock only requires pulling the slide back about 3/8" .  So  you can still leave the round chambered while doing so.   But of course I would not risk it in a pinch.    
Even more so, I would hope to have my R9 with me.

Reinz

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 07:59:27 PM »
Quote from: Newt I clean out my tupperware cabinet every year after it gets lookin rattie'. Life goes on! :o[/quote

You can throw tupperware away?   :o

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy
"Laus Deo"

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"