Author Topic: What do you guys think this is? part 2  (Read 5955 times)

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
What do you guys think this is? part 2
« on: September 08, 2016, 12:53:01 AM »
I've been looking for a Tribute for awhile and found one listed on Gunbroker.  The images didn't show the SN or the slide engravings.  When I picked it up, I was 99.9% sure it is an early pup and not a Tribute.  No R in the serial number, blue flat CF grips, and Farmie slide.  There seems to be a lot of misrepresented Rohrbaughs on Gunbroker lately.

Here is a "Special Forces" with silver trigger, grip screws, etc. "Eric Rohrbaugh said not many of the Special Forces edition were made."  Looks like a Stealth to me. 

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/582004230

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
Re: What do you guys think this is? part 2
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 06:43:44 AM »
Phil,

If you were looking for a tribute and got an early silver frame you did really well. Can you share some pics?
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 10:06:43 AM »
"Eric Rohrbaugh said not many of the Special Forces edition were made." 

Which I believe is a completely true statement, however it does not mention that he said this particular gun is a Special Forces edition.

Typical trick to tie in a true statement in such a way as the person reading it gets a false impression.

Gunbroker sellers are getting worse out not being 100% truthful about their ads, and using trickery to enhance their item.

As always, buyer beware.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 10:41:38 AM »
I've been looking for a Tribute for awhile and found one listed on Gunbroker.  The images didn't show the SN or the slide engravings.  When I picked it up, I was 99.9% sure it is an early pup and not a Tribute.  No R in the serial number, blue flat CF grips, and Farmie slide.  There seems to be a lot of misrepresented Rohrbaughs on Gunbroker lately.

Here is a "Special Forces" with silver trigger, grip screws, etc. "Eric Rohrbaugh said not many of the Special Forces edition were made."  Looks like a Stealth to me. 

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/582004230

Hey Phil,

You hit it on the head:  No R prefix on a serial number means it is absolutely one of just 47 R9s like that. We did an update to the frames on the right side where the barrel pin goes and beefed that area up, compared to the one you have, however, with just 47 of those "No R Prefix Guns" out there, you have a very rare early bird there with all of the original trimmings! Enjoy it!

On the other hand: The link to Gunbroker showing that sale as a "Special Forces" is absolutely 100% INCORRECT!
 That is a simply an R9 "Stealth" model, which retailed for $1,195.00 at the time. . . . . But what do I know!?  lol
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 05:04:56 PM »

I'm willing to take Eric's word!   8)
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 09:22:07 PM »
"Tribute" ?

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 09:23:27 PM »
No R in serial

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 09:31:40 PM »
No that is the real deal. The gun they made a Tribute to so to speak.
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 10:06:39 AM »
Just a question for my own information.

I am surprised to see a pre-R in the 22X range.  All the others that I have seen were below 150.

Any comments?

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 10:49:16 AM »
Just a question for my own information.

I am surprised to see a pre-R in the 22X range.  All the others that I have seen were below 150.

Any comments?

Bob,

There are a handful of the no R guns outside of the 101-147 SN range. I have one that was supposed to be #148 but the original buyer asked for a silver frame and a custom number, #321. #221 and #223 were the guns on the cover of the original manuals, #221 was the darker frame and #223 was the silver frame. When they stopped offering the silver fame the factory photo shopped the manuals to show both guns with dark frames. Maybe Eric will remember these specific guns and offer up a little more history.

Ryan
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 11:00:12 AM »
Thanks for the information. 

I had always thought they stopped somewhere in the 150 range.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 03:11:02 PM »
Ah haaa. . . . What we have here is truly the real deal and Ryan (BlueC2) has the history spot on as usual. This is not a Tribute, however it is the actual early R9 we designed the Tribute after. I am pretty sure that is SN:  223. The details behind the 101 – 147 guns is that they were the funky purple hard coat anodized frames. Karl also wanted to see if we could do silver frames. There were a few special order R9s during those early days that really wanted silver frames, so we tried a few things using our first anodizer. What you see here is the actual R9 from those days. There was no rhyme nor reason for the silver frames to be no prefix and in the 200 and 300 S.N. range other than when we had to serialize them, if we went higher than the 100s, we would know they are silver, hence. . . 222, 223 & 321 are in silver. The reason you see just a few silver framed no prefix R9s is that they were a treatment we were trying and found out straight away that to get them to look silver in color, you had to sacrifice the thickness of the protective treatment of anodizing to do so, so you could not really not put an excessive number of rounds through them. Karl and I were not happy about the prospects of long-term usage by an end user of the gun, so we discontinued those early silver frames until a suitable silver frame could be had where the owner could use it the same as the dark color framed guns which offered better anodized protection for the rails. We eventually had made a deal with Smith & Wesson to do our frame anodizing and they were also able to give us silver frames again near the end of our run. So there were literally a handful of these early silver framed R9s built and, near the end, the silver framed Tribute models showed up for a short time again utilizing the S&W process for the colored frames. That’s pretty much what went on in the day of Rohrbaugh Firearms Corp. with silver framed R9 Pistols. I believe 321 was either a gentleman by the name of Jody Hudson (Unfortunately passed on a few years back) or Chris Beglin (R9SCarry) from The High Road Forum and also here on The Rohrbaugh Forum. I came up with 321 as an opposite of. . . . wait for it. . . . 123! Yes, quirky stuff, but that's the truth on that serial number! . . . and yes, Karl and I were having fun with it too! lol. Chris was instrumental in offering those of you who were looking for documented history of our guns. . . . He had it covered quite well and we thank him for that! I have not heard from Chris for some time now and hope he is still with us.

So PhilZ. . . . . Is that silver R9S your gun?

Well, back to work for me now. . . . Catch up with you all later on sometime.

Regards,

Eric R.

PS:  Those few early silver framed R9s were built around 2004 - early 05 for the record.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 03:16:08 PM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 11:36:32 PM »
I guess I got a lucky buy on that one.  It looks like it's never been fired. It looks like a sample or prototype because everything looks flawless. The blue CF grips make my other blue CF look shabby.  Someone else on the forum bought the "Silver" Pup that was on sale about a year or so ago.  ECR, was that made around the same time, or was that an early Tribute trial?  I contacted the seller on that one 15 minutes after he listed it and it was already sold. 

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 11:55:42 PM »

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 09:18:07 PM »
I guess I got a lucky buy on that one.  It looks like it's never been fired. It looks like a sample or prototype because everything looks flawless. The blue CF grips make my other blue CF look shabby.  Someone else on the forum bought the "Silver" Pup that was on sale about a year or so ago.  ECR, was that made around the same time, or was that an early Tribute trial?  I contacted the seller on that one 15 minutes after he listed it and it was already sold.

Hey Phil,

No, that is not a Tribute. . . . That is what it is Phil. . . . A very early Farmingdale model Karl and I were trying to get done for a photo shoot along with the early "purple" anodized framed R9s. You could call it "the prototype" for that all silver R9 some folks were asking for before we discontinued it shortly after making them due to the thin anodizing on it to make it silver. As everyone can clearly see, that serial number 223 is the one on the owner's manual front cover and a non-prefix serial numbered job at that! I hand picked the finest parts I could when assembling that gun because I knew it was going to be "Front Cover" stuff! Even the Blue CF grip panels I matched up using the best of the best that were there, and I went through that entire first batch of 300 grip sets to get the one on that R9 to be perfect. That is one mighty fine R9 sitting there for sure. . . and she is quite special at that! Good for you man. . . . you purchased a winner for sure with 223.

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh