Author Topic: What do you guys think this is?  (Read 5467 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
What do you guys think this is?
« on: August 24, 2016, 07:49:15 AM »
This particular pistol was just purchased off GunBroker recently and I now see it is back up for sale.

The shipping carton is included and is marked "Standard Model".  I asked Eric about it and he said the wrong sticker could have been put on the shipping carton as it looks like a Special Forces.

The seller had in his ad that the original bill of sale is included.  I asked to see it and he sent a picture of it to me.  The gun was purchased from Arego's in Hot Springs Arkansas and is listed as just an R9s with no mention of it being a Special Forces.  Arego was a big Dealer for Rohrbaugh and would have known what it was.

I think it is probably a Standard Model coated and had the Hogue grips added to make it look like a SF and I told the seller that.  He immediately changed his ad to say it is a SF.

What do you guys think?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/578438898
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:05:39 AM by MRC »

Offline mannylinda

• Expert
Re: What do you guys think this is?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 08:16:11 AM »
If that is the one with the little covert belt clip, it appears to me to be a Robar coated R9. It was for sale a while back and sold for about what the asking price on the first post. It has gone down a little. I went back through completed items for Rohrbaugh for 90 days and observed that it was the same item.  It appears not to have any special markings on the slide to indicate otherwise. The spring pin in the front is chrome, I thought the SF was all completely black. Besides that price is way low for a SF.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 11:24:35 AM »
I would hate to see a buyer purchase what he thinks is a higher valued gun only to find it's a fraud.

Is there a record of what serial numbers were what models? If so R4530 should be easy to look up.

Unfortunately, it's buyer beware out in the world of gun selling at shows, internet, etc. these days.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 11:36:11 AM »
I ran the seller up on the first auction taking a chance it was possibly a SF.  The wrong sticker on the box worried me even though Eric said it happened sometimes.  When I saw the bill of sale I was pretty sure it was a copy cat SF.

I really do not think the seller knew what I was talking about but when I told him I doubted that it was a SF, but he immediately changed his listing calling it one.

Arego's sold a lot of R9's and they knew what it was.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 02:51:39 PM »
Have you thought about contacting Gunbroker and letting them know?

I think it is in their best interest to keep this sort of thing under control.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 03:30:46 PM »
Have you thought about contacting Gunbroker and letting them know?

I think it is in their best interest to keep this sort of thing under control.

First, I am not 100% sure that it is not a true SF and I really don't know how to prove it one way or the other.  Remington probably has the production and shipping papers from Rohrbaugh and by now, they are probably lost.

Second, at least 10% of the Pythons and other Colt Snakes listed on GB are misrepresented in one way or the other and GB has chosen not to do anything about that.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 08:28:48 PM »
I have seen it twice also.  Buyer beware is my thinking.   I don't have a good felling about it.

Offline mannylinda

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 04:58:14 PM »
If my memory is good, I recall the current seller buying this off of Gunbroker and reselling it. May want to check sales history on the site.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 09:51:13 AM »

I see he has relisted it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/579935983

It did not sell at $1690 so maybe $1750 will make it sell.   ???

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 04:12:13 PM »
Does anyone have a Wilson Covert?  How was it boxed?  I would assume it was sent to Wilson as a "Standard" before they did their custom work.   Was the Covert slide engraved Covert or was it the standard Rohrbaugh markings?

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 05:29:55 PM »
Does anyone have a Wilson Covert?  How was it boxed?  I would assume it was sent to Wilson as a "Standard" before they did their custom work.   Was the Covert slide engraved Covert or was it the standard Rohrbaugh markings?

They are engraved with "Covert" on the slide.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 08:15:40 AM »
Coverts were standard R9 production guns which Agrego's Gun & Pawn sent to Bill Wilson to be converted to their "COVERT" model. The deep "COVERT" engraving on the slide was done by Wilson, not by Rohrbaugh. That was never a Rohrbaugh model, the covert, although we ended up servicing them anyway to do the right thing. Looking at this "SF" in question here. . . . . I would NEVER HAVE let that go out like that with a silver recoil system! NEVER. . . . So, buyer beware on this R9 "Special Forces" model being sold. Also, the end cap for the outer recoil spring on a real SF was also black. Now in fairness, many folks would order replacement recoil systems for their R9 pistols, however, Maria would always ask if it was silver or a black unit. . . . I built a few all black units for sale as replacements, but literally only about 5 or 6 of those went out the door. Still ~ Buyer beware on this one. Just saying............
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:24:46 AM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 08:49:50 AM »
Here is the receipt from Arego's the seller sent me.  It is hard to see but it lists the gun as a R9s.  I told him that I did not believe it was a 'real SF' but he listed it as such anyway.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:57:37 AM by MRC »