Author Topic: The ''+P'' factor .......  (Read 9309 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
The ''+P'' factor .......
« on: June 06, 2004, 12:23:18 AM »
Personally - I have zero problem with the gun being limited to std fodder.  The Golden Saber figures I got of around 1,000 fps and 275 ft lbs are just fine by me out of such a small piece.

A guy I was showing the gun to yesterday - who (of course) liked it a lot ... asked about the +P viability.  I told him, no - just std.  He seemed disappointed and could not really justify his comment - other than I guess being a power freak! (Well - so am I, with hand cannons!).

Anyone think this should be +P or even +P+ friendly?
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Meggacatz

• Proud Daddy!!!
Re: The ''+P'' factor .......
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 01:26:00 AM »
Na' for the gun to fire a standard 9mm round is great. I believe the gun is intended as a belly gun (short distance) and location of the hit will be more important than the velocity.
Keep watching, I'm bound to do something stupid again.
R9 #11x

Offline norfdet893

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 07:46:40 AM »
It is probably not necessary but it would be nice to have that option. Can you shoot a little +p ammo and carry it as long as their is not a stready diet of it? Seems the no +p is a caveiat to keep the gun from wearing out prematurely.

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 10:55:22 AM »
I agree. As was with the first and second generation alloy S&W J-frames you were advised No +p, but we probally all have or know someone who shot +p's out of these bellyguns.

I'm sure a small amount would not hurt, I won't be tring though, I'm satisfied with the 124g GS.

I wonder how much of a benifit +p would even be in such a small gun??

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 11:06:02 AM »
The +P in that short a barrel would probably give you some benefit, but also a lot more flash and blast of unburned powder.

I bet it would look impressive!
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 11:23:55 AM »
Clearly, I cannot speak for Rohrbaugh.

But common sense tells me that Rohrbaugh wants to offer a lifetime warranty and world class customer service without having to repair or replace guns abused by morons.

K frame 357 mags, like S&W's model 19/66, would literally shake apart if fed only full power 357 rounds. Same is true with the original alloy J frames--they couldn't take a steady diet of +P ammo.

The Rohrbaugh was not designed or intended to be a plinking, fun gun. It was intended for close range personal defense.

If you want to run some +P stuff through it, this is what I would recommend: First run a couple hundred Winchester White Box target rounds through the gun, to check its reliability and break it in.

If you want to try out +P stuff, like Cor Bon's 115 JHP, swap out a new set of recoil springs and run a couple of mags through the gun to confirm feed reliability. THEN STOP.

Use only new recoil springs with +P ammo. And limit the your tendency to run long strings of +P stuff through the gun. The gun will be able to digest a hell of a lot more +P stuff than I recommend you limit yourself to, but by sticking with standard pressure stuff, you preserve the reliability of the gun so that when you REALLY, REALLY need it--it will work.

I have always, at least since 1990, liked exotic ammo in my pocketguns so to increase its close range combat effectiveness.  I am very comfortable with MagSafe Defender and RBCD ammo in my pocketguns.

I can't see too many bad guys walking away from a double tap of RBCD or MagSafe.

Hopefully, I'll never need to use my Rohrbaugh for personal defense. I hope that whatever threat I will face will be dealt with by my Glock 36.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 11:46:44 AM »
George - I think your suggestion is way to go - IF someone wants to up their power level.  

You might say that with a (particular) gun's design .... it is proofed for perhaps, say, 50,000 CUP ..... but is sold as being for use with ammo at a lower level .. say 40,000.  The fact that it will not KB at the higher level, says nothing about its overall longevity and reliability and so - the reommended lower level is what comes out as the ''working'' load.

Same here really re R9 - I have no doubt this tough lil' pup will take higher loads safely - just that it would knock it about and reduce the longevity .. which as you say is intended under recommended useage to be lifetime.

Std load is fine by me as I've said .... and almost for sure - if this had to be used it would be most likely at VERY personal range!!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 09:20:57 AM »
Eric told me that they have an R9 with over 4,000 rounds through it so far. No +P though. He said that at 4,000 rounds, the anodizing on the frame rails is just beginning to show some wear. I'd be interested to see if this little gun can go 10,000 rounds with no problems. That would be reassuring because that's probably way more than mine would ever see in my lifetime.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 09:21:27 AM by harrydog »

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 10:53:52 AM »
I will never shoot even 500 rounds... And none would be +p.

I think this shooting of +P, in the Rohrbaugh, is a little,...?...  not thought out. To take a highly specialized weapon, as the Rohrbaugh, and push the limits..   Like using a *light weight Hachet* to chop down a tree, when there are axes available.

....Just my opinion..
RJ=

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 02:54:33 PM »
I agree. I seldom shoot +P even with my full size pistols. I  feel it's not necessary and not worth the extra recoil.
In reality, I would probably put an initial 200 to 300 rounds or so through the gun and then maybe another 100 or so per year thereafter. So I doubt I could ever wear the gun out. But I've always been a fan of things that are over engineered, so it'd be cool to know that it could go 10,000 rounds. Just a psychological thing I guess.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 05:51:09 PM »
I'm with RJ on this question.  While the R9 and R9s could probably handle a limited number of +P rounds without significant problems, I don't see much reason to push the envelope.  Just as I try not to push my classic sports car to the "red line," I try not to exeed manufacturer specifications for loading my firearms.  (My sports car has zipped along for 197,000 miles so far and seems to be as quick as it was when it rolled off the line 15 years ago.  I expect that, with proper use and care, my R9s will provide flawless service for the rest of my lifetime and will become a classic in its own right.)  

RS  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2004, 06:34:11 PM »
RS
You failed to tell us the model name of your car.

And speaking of High Mileage Classic's ,  how are you feeling these days?
RJ=

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 07:41:53 PM »
The problem with giving a gun like the Rohrbaugh a steady diet of +P is that you will eventually batter the frame to death.

As to myself, I don't have a problem running standard pressure loads like RBCD or MagSafe Defender rounds through the gun, but there are folks who like the CorBon 115 grain JHP, and that is a +P cartridge.

In a defensive shooting situation involving a non-LEO, it is unlikely that more than 6 rounds will be shot.

I think more sales of the Rohrbaugh will take place if people understand that their favorite defensive ammo can be carried safely, so long as they don't subject the gun to a steady diet of +P and +P+ rounds.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 09:01:45 PM »
RJ:

It's an early-model Dodge Stealth . . . gorgeous . . . looks fast when it's standing still . . . you strap it on, and it runs like Hell . . . get in a tight spot on the Interstate at 70mph and all you need to do is double clutch, down shift from fifth to fourth, punch the accellerator, and you're out of trouble and out of sight . . . best car I ever owned, including Lincoln, Cadillac, Lexus, Mercedes, Chrysler, MG, Chevrolet, Ford, Datsun, Fiat, and my previous all-time favorite -- a 1954 Triumph TR2 I bought in college when the sponsor retired it from the 1956 racing circuit.  (That TR2 took me twice from coast to coast and once through Mexico in the height of summer, and I still have the sunburn scars on my upper left arm to prove it.)

As for my personal condition -- after a "lube and oil change," I'm feeling pretty good these days.  And I can't wait to get my hands on that LE holster and mag case for the R9s that you have on your work bench.  

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 03:50:57 AM »
I sure like the Pow'Rball bullet.  I wonder if Cor-bon could be convinced to make a run in a standard pressure load specifically for the Rohrbaugh.

I guess I could always go to the trouble of pulling some bullets and reloading them at a standard pressure.

I expect the 100 gr. bullet with the polymer ball to expand the hollow-point would function well at standard velocities.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...