Author Topic: Getting a pocket pistol into play ...  (Read 4874 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Getting a pocket pistol into play ...
« on: June 14, 2004, 01:03:34 AM »
I do have one problem with very small guns ..... and the R9 is no exception... nothing against it per se.

Because of the diminutive proportions, there is a definite (IMO) downside in quick aquisition.  Mainly due to small grips etc.

I have practiced draw quite a bit ...... but still find that guns this small seem to require longer (fractions of second maybe) .... to have a good hold and grip, ready to interdict, usefully.

Not sure yet - apart from continued practice - what the answer is.  Hopefully if needed the piece will be brought into play smoothly and unhurriedly but .. compared with a compact or full size .. this does so far present a problem.

Anyone got any good suggestions to help improve things .. apart from just practice .... and I'd suggest particularly, consideration of draw from pocket holster.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: Getting a pocket pistol into play ...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 08:31:27 AM »
"consideration of draw from pocket holster. "

I recommend that a user of a pocket holster familiarize themselves with feel and character of their chosen setup.

My *front carry* holsters have a "Thumb push off" at the top of the holster, in the form of the thicker reinforcement band.  

As you grip the weapon, the thumb should push away the
holster.   This gets you part way out,  pocket friction does the rest.

I provide a 1/2" wide leather strip with the holster, and instructions on the web site for its use in loosening the holster, if it seems too tight.
RJ=

Offline meltap45

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 12:56:37 PM »
(My ordered R9 has not arrived yet, but I have almost 20 years experience with various mouse guns (baby browning, Seacamp, TPH, P-32, etc))

The purpose of a gun the size of the R9 is 100% concealment under all conditions; someone should be able to stare at the pocket and not be able to tell there is a gun there (as apposed to say a stack of 3x5 cards).

Front pocket, either strong side as main carry, or weak hand as second gun; people are more likely to check the right pocket, making left pocket carry worth consideration and a second gun is better on the weak hand side.

I have a box of discarded pocket holsters and while most work more or less, they all suffer from two problems - they add too much thickness to the piece (being thin is critical) and they get in the way of a smooth draw. Many do not allow a complete final grip on the piece before the draw starts and many stay on the gun after the draw requiring the other hand to brush off the holster before firing. several will still allow the piece to shift in the pocket. Holster designers take note- the problem is NOT the gun falling out of the holster inside the pocket; if the pocket is deep enough the gun will stay in the pocket.

One needs to start with the correct pants; relaxed fit pleated with deep pockets and long openings are best -- the Jcrew's Khakis (spelling) work but others might also be functional. You MUST be willling to change pants style and always wear the same style pants to make things work; the pants are an essential part of the equation.

The best setup I have used is to either stitch 1" elastic into the pocket or just use the coin pocket to hold the piece in an upright position that will not shift; NOTHING else can be in the pocket. Then place a 4.5" wide by 6" tall piece of milk jug plastic in front of the piece to hide the outline. Milk jug plastic is very thin but still hides the outline. I cut the plastic to fit the outlines of the pocket but still allow my hand to easily go inside of the plastic but outside of the gun. A floppy disk or small stack of 3x5 cards might also work to some extent, but the hand can then go outside the floppy muffing the draw stroke (tilt!).

Then practice -- a lot. 50 smooth fairly slow draw strokes dry firing each day for several months should be a good start. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

ps - I have made a fairly useful pocket holster out of milk jug plastic, staples and ducktape that works quite well and could be used instead of the coin pocket, though the gun can still shift.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 01:20:21 PM »
I need to start saving up all my empty milk jugs...:)
RJ=

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 01:36:15 PM »
Pocket carry is, understandably, a compromise.  I discuss this and other topics in detail in my article on pocket carry in the current issue of Concealed Carry Magazine.

Pocket carry has great advantages -- easy of carry, few clothing restrictions, very good concealment.  It is not as fast as belt carry or IWB (if untucked).  It is, in most cases, faster or as fast as other methods of deep concealment -- belly band, IWB tuckable, SmartCarry, Ankle holster, etc.

Plus -- pocket carry has the advantage of casual "ready" access as I like to call it.  Pocket carry permits you to have a full firing grip, and be prepared to draw the weapon, while still maintaining a non-threatening posture—your hand in your pocket.  By contrast, if you are reaching back under your shirt to your holster positioned at 4:00 – everyone knows what that means – and it can escalate the situation and destroy the element of surprise.

I am not sure you are going to find a faster method of carrying your R-9 unless its a belt holster or IWB with a loose cover garment.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 11:01:11 PM »
All good points Duane .. I am hoping where possible if R9 becomes the only carry piece .. to try and use it in Kevin's small belt slide I got ... and probably then can manage to keep it concealed from printing just under a loose T-shirt.  Holster still awful stiff tho .. gotta work on that a bit.

I know for sure .... my draw from OWB belt slide is quick .... but as you say, being able to hold gun at ready in pocket is also probably quite and advantage in many instances.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 12:41:33 AM »
All of my pocket guns were intended to be a BUG or as a deep concealment pistol. Typically, I carry one pistol in my right rear pocket. A second is in a front pocket or in a deep concealment holster, as a hide-a-way. My technique is to physically have my hand on the gun, whenever I become concerned about my safety. A pocket pistol permits me to firmly have my hand on the gun without others knowing that I am ready to draw and fire.