Author Topic: Open invite to those with R9s on order...  (Read 7602 times)

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Open invite to those with R9s on order...
« on: February 04, 2005, 02:29:38 PM »
>>I would like to extend an open invitation to anyone on this forum who already has an R9 on order...that if you would like to TRY an R9, and are willing to travel to the Washington DC area (read area, not DC itself) - I am willing to take you to my gun club for a one time hands on trial.  

Please note that this offer is only for those registered on this forum, and if you already have an R9 on order...my reasoning being that if you qualify these two criteria...you are likely an upstanding person (I hope...will have to feed you to Dragons otherwise)...!  Sorry to cut off others, but I have to qualify and limit this offer somehow - and this is the best I could come up with.

I live in Northern Virginia, a stones throw across the Potomac River from Washington, DC (George Washington did this with a silver dollar...right...?).  My gun club is an IWLA 45 minutes North from me near Damascus, Maryland, and has beautiful outdoor ranges.  I can only have one shooting guest at a time...so no group offers extended.

I do not make such an offer lightly and would not do so for any other gun or group of people.  My experience thus far is that folks on this forum are a cut above, as is the R9 and everything associated with it.  Perhaps if this idea of allowing people to experience an R9...maybe it could catch on in other areas...?...you never know.  So if anyone is interested, please first leave me a message here with info as to where you have an R9 on order and for how long...?...after which we can perhaps take it to PM and make arrangements.  BTW...I generally go shooting Monday - Thursday, but will consider weekend time slots.

Am I nuts to do this...?  Maybe...time will tell.  But being an R9 owner, having involvement with this forum for some five months, and having met the Rohrbaugh folks on their turf...I'm inclined to make this offer because I believe in this realitively new and special product and the people behind it...TW<<

« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 02:52:41 PM by TW »

Offline PCA

• Expert
Re: Open invite to those with R9s on order...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 07:39:27 PM »
TW,

I qualify for this consideration and I would love to go but cannot commit and would not do so unless I could absolutely show up. This matters.

However, let me take this opportunity to applaud your offer and point out the obvious. Gun people are the best people I've ever met but once in a while someone does something overwhelmingly positive and this is that time.

An extraordinary gesture for which I thank you. Bravo.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 02:06:31 AM »
>>Hi PCA...

I'm self employed and tend to be fairly lenient with myself regarding time off...which means I can often be ready to go shooing at the drop of a pin...lol...!  This also means it's fine with me if you want to tentatively schedule a time to try out the R9...and if you have to back out last minute - no big deal to me...I'll just go back to my Snake and Dragon farming without missing a beat.  Trust me...I wouldn't make that offer to you if I had an ounce of hesitation.

As principal care giver to your Dad I understand it may be difficult for you to get away for even a few hours.  I served same for both my parents years ago so can relate to how you feel and your circumstances.  Perhaps you can find someone to fill in for a while one day...?...perhaps hospice...??  Or maybe bring Dad with you...!!  You can't be there for your Dad if you aren't there fort YOU once in a while, IMO.  I would go so far as to say you probably owe it to yourself...!...maybe...

Think about it and let me know if you think you can work something out.  Just PM me...I check for messages throughout the day and will get back to you ASAP.  Oh - from NJ you might want to consider taking the train into Union Station or Alexandria, VA.  I recently used the train to go up and visit Eric R...  It was very comfortable and convenient...just don't go bringing any firearms to Union Station as that is in Washington, DC and a big no-no.  On the other hand Alexandria is ok for guns.  Both stations are mere minutes from my home...TW<<

TW,

I qualify for this consideration and I would love to go but cannot commit and would not do so unless I could absolutely show up. This matters.

However, let me take this opportunity to applaud your offer and point out the obvious. Gun people are the best people I've ever met but once in a while someone does something overwhelmingly positive and this is that time.

An extraordinary gesture for which I thank you. Bravo.

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 06:23:08 AM »
TW,

Thank you. My father is somewhat self sufficient so that is not the issue. the issue is miles.
My latest toy is a new truck which has over 30,000 miles in less than a year. Because my father will not leave the house, I commute 50 miles each way to my office. That's 500 miles a week.
It would be a 500 mile trip to visit you and what I usuually do on weekends is not drive.
I stand by what I said as to the generosity of your offer and I will keep in mind that offer for a future date if I can swing it.
I wish Eric would make that offer as Rohrbaugh factory is a round trip of 80 miles!

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 12:54:22 PM »
TW, I too must applaud your efforts.That is a very noble gesture. I would love to meet you at your range, but you and I are also seperated by miles.
I have not shot an R9 yet, but finally did get to handle one.
This would be a tremendous acheivement for me without considerable wait for my own R9.

Thank you so much for the offer, and a great oppurtunity.
Hey, you never know, if it gets to be warmer weather, and I still didn't get my R9, I just may be inclined to do a road trip.

Art

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 11:24:26 PM »
TW,

That is a gentlemanly offer.  I would like to duplicate your offer to those who may be more able to reach the Delaware area.  I shoot in Lewes, Dover and Chads Ford area.  I make the same offer as TW.  Just let me know.  GREAT idea TW.
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 07:26:31 AM »
Gentlemen:

Keep going!!! The geographic trend is heading north towards NJ.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 08:41:55 AM »
>>Mr_J_H...

I have friends all over PA (even belong to a gun club in Topton) and in Dover DE...I also have carry permits for both States (Florida has been very, very, good to me...as I have one of their non-resident CCW permits and FLA has reciprocity with MANY states).  Perhaps one day we can arrange some sort of Rohrbaugh Forum / R9 owners shoot...?...!  With enough advance notice I bet we might even get Eric or Karl to join us.  **note to Eric...what do you think, fella...?**  Perhaps we could do this when the weather warms up...Eric catches his breath and gets cranking on the R9s...and some more R9s make their ways into forum folks hands (!!)...hmmmm...what do other forum members think about this...?  Would you be willing to travel to PA, DE, or MD...??..??...  Just a thought.

Meanwhile...do we have any more forum members around the country willing to share an R9 experience with an R9-wanna-haver...??...??...TW<<

« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 08:44:32 AM by TW »

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 11:44:33 AM »
TW,

Topton, PA! I have done business with a company there and have traveled there many times. It's a quaint location, enroute to Kutztown, for which I have great memories.

It's a small world and thanks again for your reaching out on my behalf.

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2005, 11:51:39 AM »
TW,

I got carried away with Topton and I failed to address your idea of "Rohrbaugh Fest" when weather improves.

Kind of like Woodstock with fewer people, better behaved, law abiding, pro-gun, clean, drug free..... ;D

Super idea. What do other forum members think?

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 11:55:54 AM »
I too belong to the Dover club and relish joining you folks, wherever you decide to meet, if I am able - even if my pup finds an adoptive parent... as it is for sale.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 11:56:33 AM by Mr_Jody_Hudson »
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2005, 02:06:24 PM »
I greatly like the idea but have to confess, as time goes on and I age ever more .... long hauls have less and less appeal.  Sounds like any location would probably be quite some ways to my East.  See what other folks have to say.

Afterthought - could just be that if weather was Ok I'd bike it - now that does make for a better acceptance of distance!  Well - up to a point!  Might even get wife along too. :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 02:07:30 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member &amp; Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2005, 02:17:43 PM »
Don't count on Maryland yet ,until we get the R9 approved you can't even own one here.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 02:50:11 PM »
>>Newt...

I was with Eric when he sent an R9 to the Maryland authorities for evaluation.  I recall he said something to the effect those folks were to meet over the R9 issue sometime in February (I think)...but hoping for approval soon none the less.  I doubt we will be having a shoot before that so hopefully you would have your piece before hand.

Where in Maryland do you live...?  I lived there in my youth...and still go there (IWLA in Damascus = private land) to shoot.  Perhaps you might care to try out an R9 while patiently awaiting your pup...?...TW<<  

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2005, 02:52:15 PM »
>>Chris...

If you find yourself wandering this way East you are always welcome to stay at my place...TW<<