Author Topic: Potential purchaser R9 questions  (Read 5786 times)

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
  • " A armed society is a polite society"
Re: Potential purchaser R9 questions
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2005, 01:56:09 PM »
USGuns,  could you please explain this statement to me,  thanks.  :-/

The Seecamp is also a blowback design whereas the Rohrbaugh is locked breech.  The locked breech designs tend to have less felt recoil and so a R380 should be a nicer gun to shoot than the Seecamp 380
mismatch

Offline USGuns

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2005, 02:58:31 PM »
mismatch,
This link can explain it better than I can:  http://matrix.dumpshock.com/raygun/basics/operation.html

On that page, it lists what I called locked breech as "recoil".

HTH
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain

Offline USGuns

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2005, 03:00:37 PM »
A couple follow-up questions:

1) If I was to order an R9 today, when could I reasonably expect delivery?  Ballpark guess?

2) How DO I order an R9?  Just go down to my local dealer as usual and say "order me a Rohrbaugh"!  Or do I need to contact Rohrbaugh Firearms first?

Thanks!
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2005, 03:33:17 PM »
USG - how long is a piece of cord?  :D

I reckon you should be able to order thru a dealer, as long as said dealer knows how to implement it!

OTOH, a call to speak with Maria  (631 242 3175)  could well mean you can get an approx delivery period and - if you have an FFL set up thru which to order then maybe an order can be placed direct - at least - a gun ''reserved''.

I have a feeling that a fresh order may be seeing a delivery time of late summer - but don't quote me on that!!!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2005, 03:44:48 PM »
USGuns,

Thanks for the info, have you by chance examined the R9 to determine if that is the type of lockup that is used? I have not received my pistol ( R9 ) as of yet, but I am sure looking forward to doing a close inspection! The web that you suggested to look at had a wealth of information on semi and full auto function.  Thanks again.   ;D
mismatch

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005, 04:13:28 PM »
Mismatch - if you haven't looked yet - take a peek on my FAQ site, where there are some pics of the gun taken down.  You'll see by looking at the barrel that it has a lug under the chamber - it is a ''floating'' barrel - which only locks up when slide closed - ''locked breech''.

A Bersa Thunder or Mak - ''blowback'' have their barrels as a fixed and rigid part of the frame - no barrel movement during the cycle of firing.  This can make for a bit more perceived recoil.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2005, 06:16:11 PM »
Chris,

I did go to your FAQ site, and after reading you post it all makes sense!  How crazy, all my life I've handled and used handguns and never gave it a thought as to why we perceive recoil as we do!  After thinking about your response and explanation a light came on and everything made sense. I'm sure, considering the caliber ( 9mm ) the Rohrbaugh brothers had to figure on the best and strongest lockup they could come up with for the R9.  Thank you again  :)

Fred
mismatch

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Potential purchaser R9 questions
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2005, 09:49:09 PM »
Chris,

I did go to your FAQ site, and after reading you post it all makes sense!  How crazy, all my life I've handled and used handguns and never gave it a thought as to why we perceive recoil as we do!  After thinking about your response and explanation a light came on and everything made sense. I'm sure, considering the caliber ( 9mm ) the Rohrbaugh brothers had to figure on the best and strongest lockup they could come up with for the R9.  Thank you again  :)

Fred

>>Hi Fred...

We be PROUD of our Chris...he be one smart fella...!...TW<<

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2005, 10:14:20 PM »
TW - flattery Sir - will get you everywhere!!! Thank you.

No - not smart - just enthusiastic (for my age! :P )
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site