Author Topic: Q: Tight Tolerances? Why So Tight?  (Read 1855 times)

Offline TXAGGIECHL

Q: Tight Tolerances? Why So Tight?
« on: June 18, 2006, 11:57:35 PM »
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I've always wondered why Rohrbaugh doesn't loosen up some of the tolerances a bit?  

I know this is probably an apples to oranges thing, but some extremely tight 1911's don't function worth a damn, yet the rattle traps work come hell or high water.

While the R9 shouldn't be a rattle-trap, opening it up a couple thousandths could make a huge difference as far as reliability goes and it may not need such a regiment on lubrication.

I only make these observations after reading about the various failures experienced with new guns and the break-in needed.  It appears that friction has a larger than normal influence on the R9's due to the tight tolerances (hence the bible on correct & copious lubrication).

Finally, could break-in with the R9's be taking longer than normal due to the extensive amount of grease needed?  I'm not talking about running the gun dry and galling the metal, but Glock seems to have a good thing going with the copper flaked lube they include from the factory.  Seems that 50-100rds fired with that stuff really makes everything smooth out & gel together.  

I understand the R9 is like nothing else on the market and I’m sure someone will quickly give me a spanking for thinking outside the box, so “flame-suit” on!  Just kicking the tires & trying to figure this little pup out!  
 ;D

Offline Ubik380

Re: Q: Tight Tolerances? Why So Tight?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 04:29:47 PM »
I can't speak for the brothers, but tighter tolerences are guarenteed to produce more consistent results. A pistol this small also has the smallest allowance for differences in timing (slide speed, ejection feeding from the magazine, etc), so tighter tolerences keep the variables manageable.

After getting used to the snappy action of a Roughbaugh or Seecamp the  action operation of a 1911 seems slow, but people still invest in larger ejection port, stronger magazine springs and more to help manage variations in timing.

For use in "combat", factors like dirt, dust, extreme heat or cold introduce variables that are better managed by loosening up the tolerences as well as making the pistol bigger and heavier.

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 04:50:24 PM »
Txaggiechl  Welcome to the forum.  One of the running jokes at the factory is If you made this thing a little bigger everything wouldn't have to be so perfect.  This was designed to be the smallest 9mm made. It is true it must be finely tuned but when all is right it is o so sweet. Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 04:55:06 PM »
TX - welcome :)

No spanking needed :D

There is always debate over tolerances and the pro's and con's of the extremes.  I do agree the Gov A1 guns that have slop do seem to go on regardless but - there we have steel on steel.

In case of the R9 tho - and I reckon same for other steel (or SS) slides on Al frames - start with too much slop - and even a coupla thou can be pretty slack - and IMO you promote premature wear or faster wear.

Despite the fact that I might get a severe wrist slapping from Eric - I am more and more of the opinion that grease can prejudice function on a tight tolerance gun like the R9.  Instead I feel that a reliable and persistent film of good lube oil can be adequately ''molecularly'' functional.  Applied I might add with good frequency and cleaning.

Bottom end bearings in auto engines are under tonnages of pressure, all trying to displace the lube film - with the sliding action of a semi, compressive loads are relatively small - probably being most marked on the surfaces that take vertical loading.  Therefore I am confident that protection can be maintained.

Other areas of the gun are fine for me with grease - barrel lug slot, pin, spring guide etc.

So - I feel I am happy with a tight tolerance gun in the R9 - which is what all the ramble above is trying to say :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 10:30:22 AM »

Despite the fact that I might get a severe wrist slapping from Eric - I am more and more of the opinion that grease can prejudice function on a tight tolerance gun like the R9.  Instead I feel that a reliable and persistent film of good lube oil can be adequately ''molecularly'' functional.  Applied I might add with good frequency and cleaning.

Chris:

Agreed.  I've settled on Ballistol for the purpose.

And TX, welcome to the Forum!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 11:35:22 AM »
Is Ballistol available at any retail stores?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 12:22:59 PM »
Tracker:

The only place I've seen it around here is in my FFL's shop.  However, you can order it on line or by mail at the following link:

http://www.ballistol.com/
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 10:29:44 PM »
When mine comes, my plan is to use Militec.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 07:43:49 AM »
+1 for Ballistol.
ACTA NON VERBA