Author Topic: Concerned about FTFs on my pup  (Read 4871 times)

Offline UpOn2Wheels

Concerned about FTFs on my pup
« on: January 12, 2008, 08:43:18 PM »
Second trip to the range today, and it raised some big concerns about my pup:

1) Repeated failure to fire when the trigger was squeezed.  If I'd quickly work the trigger, the pup had no issues.  Ammo was FMJ, 115 grain UMC (not the Gold Dot recommended).  Out of 50 rounds I'd estimate that I had 6 FTFs; not good, and potentially the difference between life and death in a defensive situation.

My first range visit yielded no FTFs, even on crappy range ammo.

2) When I took the gun apart to clean it, the amount of metal shavings and flakes was staggering.  In addition, the steel barrel appears to be beating the crap out of the aluminum frame.  The frame trough the barrel rides in is clearly nicked, scraped and gouged from the movement of the barrel.  Is this normal?  Is this acceptable?

Before I e-mail Eric or send the gun back for inspection, I wanted to get some other user feedback.  I realize that the R9 is meant for defensive carry and not "normal" range use, but I won't carry a gun I can't train with.

Offline CaptBW

• Master
Re: Concerned about FTFs on my pup
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 11:39:17 PM »
UMC? Why?
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 11:43:21 PM »
I hate to say this as Remington(UMC and Peters) is only about 45 miles away from me.  Anything from Remington is crap.  Stay with Federal or Winchester or some of the other foreign brands like Fiochi and Sellier and Bellot.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline UpOn2Wheels

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 12:02:18 AM »
UMC? Why?

I have a bunch laying around.  My Ruger P85 eats it with no problems, and my Glock 36 has no FTFs with the UMC .45.

Ammo issue aside, what about the metal chips and frame impacts?  Long term, this can't be good.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 01:55:49 AM »
UMC has been known to have the problem with hard primers,and there have been other pups that have also experienced this..Try the WWB for practice..

Your going to have some wear,some have more than other's,and it should stop..

This is perfectly normal,although there have been a couple of instance's noted of excess wear-pics are someplace here if a search is done..

IMO,I would clean and lube,get some proper feed for the pup-GDHPs,STHPs,WWB..See how things run for you then..

BTW-Welcome to the forum,looking forward to hear how things work out for you..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 02:06:14 AM »
Can you take some good pics for us of this problem?  I don't know if you have a nice digital camera, but if you do, I'd be interested in seeing this wear.

Thanks and good luck.

Offline UpOn2Wheels

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 10:16:33 AM »
UMC has been known to have the problem with hard primers,and there have been other pups that have also experienced this..Try the WWB for practice..

Your going to have some wear,some have more than other's,and it should stop..

This is perfectly normal,although there have been a couple of instance's noted of excess wear-pics are someplace here if a search is done..

IMO,I would clean and lube,get some proper feed for the pup-GDHPs,STHPs,WWB..See how things run for you then..

BTW-Welcome to the forum,looking forward to hear how things work out for you..

Thanks Brenden - good info on the UMC ammo.  Next range visit I'll stick to the GDHPs and see how things turn out.  I also noticed at teardown that the grip screws were loose - not loose enough to CAUSE a trigger issue, but maybe loose enough to contribute to one.

Offline UpOn2Wheels

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 10:17:47 AM »
Can you take some good pics for us of this problem?  I don't know if you have a nice digital camera, but if you do, I'd be interested in seeing this wear.

Thanks and good luck.

Will do next time I tear the pup down.  My camera has a macro setting so I should be able to get decent pictures if I can light them properly.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 12:24:38 PM »
over all length is important in this small pistol. Using recommended ammo should help. Wear will stop in time, don't fret. Use blue lock tight on grip screws will help keep them tight.  Look forward to seeing your pictures.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 03:02:44 PM »
Using UMC is a bad idea -- could certainly be some length issues -- I've had UMC where the bullets were loose/set back in the case, etc -- my one and only box (of 250 in 45 ACP) that I ever bought.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 03:24:06 PM »
Never had a problem with UMC in 45.  Shot probably 700 rounds of the stuff.  UMC is Filthy, it makes WWB look like Speer or Hornady clean!!!

Offline UpOn2Wheels

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 08:28:43 PM »

You can see the dimples on the sides of the "trough" below the frame rails.  This was caused by the barrel floating and impacting the frame.

Cause?  My recoil spring.  I replaced it tonight, and the replacement spring was about 1/8" longer.  :o

I've got four more on order with Rohrbaugh, so I'll post pics as soon as I get more replacement springs.

Next trip to the range I'll shoot 115 grain Gold Dots only, and I'll post my results.  Thanks for all the help!

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 09:15:34 PM »
Heck, that looks fairly gouged (dimpled perhaps is a better word) to me.  But let's here what others say.  

It almost looks like polymer paint that's been rubbed off, but I can see from the bottom most area that those are pretty deep.  I wonder if that will cause undo friction or actually stiction?  

Thanks for the snapshot!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 09:15:59 PM by BytorJr »

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 09:55:58 PM »
UO2W,

Nice photo.

That type of wear is indeed unusual.

I personally would send it back to Rohrbaugh.  Heavy wear on 'break in' is not unusual but I am a bit concerned by the type of wear you are experiencing.

I know it is a pain in the butt but Rohrbaugh will make everything right.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline IDM

• Expert
  • What you can't see can hurt you!! Predator UAV
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 11:52:26 PM »
Hey all
Ive had what I thought is normal wear on my pup.
It seemed to have goten beaten up the first few time to the range. It has at this point done it's own self clearencing, lack for a better word. After reading a few posts about this sort of thing I have felt it is normal but mabey it is also on the extream side. :-/

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 11:53:30 PM by IDM »
Bryce Proctor
Owner IDM llc
Predator and Predator B  Mfg. Engineer