Author Topic: Concerned about FTFs on my pup  (Read 4873 times)

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
Re: Concerned about FTFs on my pup
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 12:05:10 AM »
I'm sure no expert, but I'd say that's "normal" from what I've read.  That' obviously from the Lug of the barrel.  Not near as bad as the other one though.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 12:51:19 AM »
This wear should stop after a certain point-if not give the R Bros a call,and they will help you out..

Here is an old thread -2005-about similiar wear..

Old Thread

Hope it helps..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 01:27:35 AM »
That looks like Candidate #2's problem.  The original pic doesn't look the same and looks more severe.  Brenden, do you concur?

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 01:45:20 AM »
It is hard for me to tell from a pic for sure,but it does' look different than the other..

If it is a truly gouged frame than do not shoot it and contact Maria at Rohrbaugh..

If it is the anodized material only coming off,I would clean it up,lube it up,and carry on..
My .02 cents..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 09:34:45 AM »
Bryce,

The wear on your gun is entirely normal and actually looks pretty good.  It is the spots that appear to be gouges on the photo of gun #1 that I think are not normal.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline UpOn2Wheels

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 06:16:14 PM »
Spoke to Maria at Rohrbaugh on Monday, and gave her the details on my pup.  I referred her to the pictures in this thread, and she advised that she'd pass the information on to Mr. Rohrbaugh.

Maria left a message for me today, saying that they had reviewed the images, with the following findings:

1) The metal flakes encountered at teardown are from spent round brass, and are nothing to worry about.
2) The wear on the frame is caused by the barrel impacting the frame, possibly made worse by brass fragments from shell casings.
3) Their advice was to change ammo and not worry about shooting the gun.

I left another message for Maria today, just asking her to confirm that they reviewed the picture of MY frame, and not the picture posted by IDP.  In my estimation, there is a huge difference between the two - IDP's wear is normal, and nothing to be concerned about.  I still want to hear, from the factory, that my gun (with the dimpling on the frame) is safe to shoot.

I am, unfortunately, somewhat disapponted with Rohrbaugh's customer service.  Maria is kind enough to return my calls, but she can only relate the information given to her by someone else.  A five minute conversation with Karl Rohrbaugh (or someone else with manufacturing and firearms knowledge) would go a long way towards easing my concerns.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 09:09:49 PM »

UpOn2Wheels,

I can give you some information that you are concerned about.  I can reassure you that your gun is safe to shoot.  The wear you have will not effect safety at all,  I was just concerned about the functioning of the gun.

Safe, absolutely.  I have been astounded myself that there have been NO frame failures I have ever heard of and I have been here quite a while.  The R9 frame has had no failures due to design or materials that I have heard of, ever.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline UpOn2Wheels

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 07:38:45 AM »
UpOn2Wheels,

I can give you some information that you are concerned about.  I can reassure you that your gun is safe to shoot.  The wear you have will not effect safety at all,  I was just concerned about the functioning of the gun.

Safe, absolutely.  I have been astounded myself that there have been NO frame failures I have ever heard of and I have been here quite a while.  The R9 frame has had no failures due to design or materials that I have heard of, ever.

Mike

Thanks Mike - I appreciate your feedback!

I'll get to the range over the weekend and feed the pup a box of GDHPs, then post a range report and a teardown report.

I should be getting the replacement recoil springs by then, and I'll post "old" and "new" pics.  My original recoil spring had between 80 - 120 rounds worth of usage, and it was about 1/8" shorter than the replacement.

Offline UpOn2Wheels

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 01:58:15 PM »
Epilogue:  At my request, Rohrbaugh again reviewed the pictures of my dimpled frame and assured me the gun was safe to shoot.  Went to the range today, and shot GDHP 115 grain exclusively.  I'm happy to report no FTFs, and at teardown found the following:

1) Virtually NO metal shavings inside the gun
2) The dimpling had been dramaticaly reduced, no doubt polished by the action of the barrel

I'm still waiting for my replacement springs, but will post follow up pictures at some point that show the "before and after" frame and "new vs. old" recoil springs.

In summary, I will now shoot GDHPs exclusively and have no further concerns about carrying my pup.  Thanks to all for their feedback!

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 07:32:59 AM »
Good news. Thanks for the update.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 02:43:13 PM »
UpOn 2 Wheels,Welcome to the forum. Use Quality Ammo and your pup will serve you well. Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER