Author Topic: Hornady's New Critical Duty Ammo  (Read 10007 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Hornady's New Critical Duty Ammo
« on: December 13, 2011, 03:18:01 PM »
In the February/March issue of Handguns (Guns and Ammo) magazine Dick Metcalf has an interesting article on Hornady's new Law Enforcement ammunition.  This ammo passes all five of the FBI's barrier tests with over 12" of penetration.

The Critical Duty ammo utilizes a "Flexlock Bullet" which is something completely new.  The old Critical Defense Bullet looked like an XTP bullet with red silicone calk in the cavity to me.  This looks very interesting and I am anxious to try some.  Here is Hornady's video:

http://www.hornady.com/store/Critical-DUTY-New

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Hornady's New Critical Duty Ammo
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 03:22:33 PM »

I read that article and noticed that primers weren't mentioned. Maybe they have it right on this one but they lost me before with their denial of an issue and lack of response.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 03:35:53 PM »
I would probably feel the same way tracker if I would have had your problems.

I have been carrying the Critical Defense in my Solo and my Kahr P380.  I have 4 what are considered "Micro Nines" and have tried 3 lots of the CD ammo in all 4 with no problems as far as feeding. firing, or accuracy.  That said I get "fried egg primers" with the R9 every time and Zero problems with the other 3.  I am covinced now that it is a Rohrbaugh problem and not Hornady with the current Winchester primers they are using.

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 03:38:51 PM »
     I'm with Tracker on this, they got me once, but never again. Hose me once... your fault, hose me twice... mine.         Gene
birdman

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »
From the information on their site, it sounds very promising. I have never had any issues running their rounds through mySig, Glock, or HK but they will not extract properly from my R9. All the rounds I've tried always went bang but the extractor kept slipping off. To make things easier, I've switched all my carry & HD ammo to Gold Dots since they will work in all my pistols. I'll still probably buy a box or two of these to try them out.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »

How does anyone know the primer brand they are using? Their Chief Ballistician told me two years ago that they would use any available primer that was in "saami spec." Maybe the primer availability supply has loosened up for now but if it tightens they will revert to their old ways. I prefer to buy ammo from a manufacturer that makes their own primers that will perform in the R9. Once burned, twice shy.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 12:55:27 PM »
Dave Emary at Hornady told me that they are now using a Winchester primer in all of their Critical Defense ammo with a 'Special Order' cup material which is softer than Winchester's normal primer.

I do know how you feel though tracker.  The first R9 I bought would not function with any ammo but Baser Aluminum.  After many conversations with Maria and about $200 worth of different premium ammunition brands, we were still trying to figure out what I was doing wrong because they do not have any troubles.  I had to lose my temper to get them to move.

My present R9 has never had a failure of any kind with over 200 rounds fired with six different brands of ammo, so I am pleased with it.

But I still haven't got over the way I was treated by Rohrbaugh, as you can tell.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 01:13:26 PM »
I wonder if Dave Emary would replace my 25 boxes of CD that are in "saami spec" for the new special order primers. It seems that denial and self justification are the common link here. Acccording to Dave there never was a problem with his Ferrari ammo wearing bicycle tires for primers. However, now they have addressed the issue without admitting it. What a company! Joyce Hornady would roll over in his grave.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 01:49:18 PM by tracker »

Offline Chihuahua TN

• Denial, after all, is a powerful thing!
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
This is my post from  (http://www.defensivecarry.com)
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-ammunition-ballistics/93690-hornady-critical-defense-ammo-2.html

http://tjofsugarland.blogspot.com/

Post is dead on, (click above link) I would not trust any Critical Defense ammo. I have had multiple FTF (fire) on 4 different guns (LCP, R9s P380 and 92FS), 2 different calibers (.380 and 9mm) 4 different hand gun manufactures to date.

I spoke with Ruger weeks ago about this after I sent in my LCP because the only ammo it would not fire is CD, and they stated that they have been getting many calls about this exact ammo issue. My LCP, P380 and R9s only have issues with CD ammo. Multiple posts on the LCP, Rohrbaugh and other forums have many people stating the exact same FTF issue. I suspect it is because they are using S&B primers they are definitely dancing around the issue of anything wrong on their end. I wont trust any CD ammo in any of my guns because of this. Below are photos 9mm and .380 illustrating FTF (fire) that have happened to me at the range.

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 10:58:32 PM »
Chi...can't spell the rest, thanks for the information and the photos....that speaks loudly.  Danged if I'll load any CD in something I may have to rely on for my my life.  Excellent information. 
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 11:30:35 PM »
I have a few boxes of CD ammo but stopped carrying it after the problems first started, I stick with Gold Dots & Winchester Ranger LE ammo now. Maybe time to trade off the Critical Defense ammo.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 09:03:24 AM »
Without a doubt they had problems a couple of years ago.  I had no experience with it then so I am coming into this with an open mind.  I was not very experienced with their ammunition, but have used their reloading components for 25+ years with much success.   The stuff they are putting out now  with the Winchester primers works for me and that is all I know.

One thing I do know is that with the quantity of extremely light weight and cheaply made pocket pistols with "hammer- fired DAO" actions coming on the market, I am surprised there are not more problems.

All I can say is, "Use what you feel comfortable with".

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 09:41:02 AM »
Without a doubt they had problems a couple of years ago.  I had no experience with it then so I am coming into this with an open mind.  I was not very experienced with their ammunition, but have used their reloading components for 25+ years with much success.   The stuff they are putting out now  with the Winchester primers works for me and that is all I know.

One thing I do know is that with the quantity of extremely light weight and cheaply made pocket pistols with "hammer- fired DAO" actions coming on the market, I am surprised there are not more problems.

All I can say is, "Use what you feel comfortable with".

I agree that you need to use what your comfortable with. For me it goes a little farther, when there is overwhelming evidence of issues encountered by many shooters using a broad rage of guns I choose to use something with a better track record. I don't want to find out personally about the issue in a time of real need.
 There are too many other equally good or better carry ammo choices available to take a chance on ammo with documented problems. (at least for me)
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 09:51:35 AM »
I'm with the comfort factor;  still holding a box of the CD from a few years ago.  Serial no. of box was not one that was mentioned; however, I'll continue to hold.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln