Poll

What should I do with my new R9?

EDC
11 (84.6%)
Safe Queen (Buy another for CC)
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: EDC or SQ?  (Read 9578 times)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: EDC or SQ?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
"You can come to Oklahoma and see it whenever you'd like!!  Just throwing that out there.."

I spent a little time in OK @ Ft Sill, a nice place to visit (but not in June, July & August)  ;D  HOT, DRY, DUSTY, HOT, HARDEST RAIN I EVER SAW, HOT didi I say HOT....IT WAS HOT... 113 Degrees one day :o ;D ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 07:00:41 PM »
Eugene,

I cracked up when I read this post, as I recently got my first pup two months ago and it has been a slippery slope ever since. My vote in your poll was to pick up another for the range. Put a few rounds through the Farmie to make sure you would feel comfortable carrying it and let the other gun get most of the range action. I have found that when you shoot this at the range most people have never even seen one so it ends up getting shot by a bunch of different folks. Also, although the slide cracking problem was very limited if the Farmingdale slide were to crack they factory will replace it for free but it will most likely be with a newer deer park slide. So if you have the funds my vote is to get one that you wont mind putting some rounds through.

-Ryan
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:43:09 PM by BlueC2 »
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline epkptp

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 09:34:51 PM »
Eugene,

I cracked up when I read this post, as I recently got my first pup two months ago and it has been a slippery slope ever since. My vote in your poll was to pick up another for the range. Put a few rounds through the Farmie to make sure you would feel comfortable carrying it and let the other gun get most of the range action. I have found that when you shoot this at the range most people have never even seen one so it ends up getting shot by a bunch of different folks. Also, although the slide cracking problem was very limited if the Farmingdale slide were to crack they factory will replace it for free but it will most likely be with a newer deer park slide. So if you have the funds my vote it get get one that you wont mind putting some rounds through.

-Ryan

Now you got me worried about the slide cracking problem.  I've read about this in the dozens of threads I've been searching through.  Is this typically from a high round count or maybe using "Plus P" ammo?   

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 10:00:08 PM »
The slide cracking was just due to a flaw of some sort and I don't believe it was from high round counts or +P ammo.
One thing to remember is the newer models have all the upgrades that the company has made and the older Farmies do not.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 10:06:04 PM »
John and Ryan are correct; although mine is one of the early cracked slide victims and hybrid Deer Park slides described I would not trade it for anything as it functions perfectly as my EDC. Fire it at will and take it as it comes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:09:36 PM by tracker »

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 11:05:49 PM »
I found it really interesting to read about pre-R #133 that supposedly has 3-4k rounds through it with the thinner slide design and no cracks so it more than likely was a materials issue and not a design/round count issue.

I am sorry I did not mean to make you worry when I suggested you pick up a second one to shoot the snot out of at the range. Please try not to worry and enjoy your new Farmie.

-Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 11:24:40 PM »

It was a very limited issue of flawed bar stock and to my knowledge had nothing to do with rounds fired. +P has never been a factor because it is prohibited.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 05:13:14 PM »

It was a very limited issue of flawed bar stock and to my knowledge had nothing to do with rounds fired. +P has never been a factor because it is prohibited.

Precisely!

_____

Edit:  My R9 132, delivered in May 2004, usually sports old ivory grips as my EDC.  When I choose to "shoot the snot" out of it at the range, I usually mount these OD Aluminums. And it quite often gets "the snot" shot out of it.  No worries.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 06:45:58 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"