Author Topic: Wishing for a 10 round R9  (Read 32036 times)

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
Re: Wishing for a 10 round R9
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 09:30:14 AM »
Here's my ugly Sig P239 SAS...
Ted

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 09:31:34 AM »
Other side...
Ted

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 01:49:06 PM »

Anyway, they both lose the beauty contest next to the Rohrbaugh. It's quite elegant. Not cluttered up with a bunch of plastic and lines that go nowhere.

Quite a nice design Eric.

It is just me I guess, but I would prefer  the conventional mag release and slide lock back especially on this size pistol.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 08:32:57 PM »
Thanks for the kudos on the design Josh. Ref. a side mag release and a slide lock. . . . . . for me, it works fine where they are. Not that it wouldn't be nice for some folks. Now keep in mind, early on, the internet is where I put things out there to get feedback, just like you presented here MRC.  ;)  Some of those early correspondences made us put fixed sights on the R9! That said, I'm not a armchair commando, so 8 rounds should work just fine for this old dude. If I need more than that, I really need to move. I'm not going to live my life in fear in my own home.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2015, 10:41:50 AM »
Actually Eric, 5 rounds out of my Mossberg pump shotgun should be sufficient for home protection...in fact just pumping the slide would likely do the trick.  Still....I LIKE the PP...hope it appears someday.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2015, 11:04:07 AM »
You guys got my interest up.  Here is a PP and a 3913 and a R9.

Judging from the pictures, the R9 PP and the 3913 are pretty close to the same size.

It appears al though you are probably correct MRC.

The 3913 is a pretty sleek design. Very similar as you point out.

You do have an eye for your guns sir.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2015, 11:05:20 AM »
Here's my ugly Sig P239 SAS...

Nice ugly 239 Ted.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2015, 11:34:26 AM »
I used to buy and sell older Mercedes diesel cars/wagons and G wagons. I always felt that they were not pretty, in fact ugly. But, they were good for 500,000 miles and more. Most are still on the road today still being used as taxis in many countries today. I used to ship quite a few to Panama for use as taxis. I think that some of the Sigs are more quality than looks, and other Sigs stunning. I carry the Sig P938 BRG and I love it...a beautifully made gun...a bit rough around the edges...but I would count on it in any situation.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2015, 12:00:55 PM »

Judging from the pictures, the R9 PP and the 3913 are pretty close to the same size.

I had never thought about it until I saw the R9 PP, but the S&W 3913 might have been part of the inspiration for the form the R9 ended up having. 

Take a good look at the two.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2015, 03:44:55 PM »
I used to buy and sell older Mercedes diesel cars/wagons and G wagons. I always felt that they were not pretty, in fact ugly. But, they were good for 500,000 miles and more. Most are still on the road today still being used as taxis in many countries today. I used to ship quite a few to Panama for use as taxis. I think that some of the Sigs are more quality than looks, and other Sigs stunning. I carry the Sig P938 BRG and I love it...a beautifully made gun...a bit rough around the edges...but I would count on it in any situation.

Those ugly cars are a beautiful thing.

I have always love those cars for that reason Norm. I almost bought one but then realize that I'm just not up to maintaining a vehicle like that anymore with all the other responsibilities we have here. I've been running Jetta diesel's for a while now and though they are not as robust or simple as their Mercedes cousins they are a pretty awesome little car. That's what our sales fleet is using.

44 mpg average and very little maintenance til about 160K. I'd like to see about 300,000 out of each of them. We will see.

We also have a couple of sprinters with the Mercedes diesel driveline which is performed very impressively.

These type of efficient workhorse models are wonderful for making or saving a couple extra bucks so you can afford something a little bit higher maintenance and fun after reaping some of the rewards.

Great analogy IMO
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 03:49:05 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2015, 08:23:24 PM »

I had never thought about it until I saw the R9 PP, but the S&W 3913 might have been part of the inspiration for the form the R9 ended up having. 

Take a good look at the two.

Actually, it was an old Mauser HSc that I owned in the late 1970s. Always though it was a clean look, but it needed to be a 9mm and not a .32 or .380. More history there guys.  .  .  .  .   ;)
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2015, 08:37:25 PM »
Sorry, I don't see it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:43:48 PM by MRC »

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2015, 09:13:20 PM »
You have to take yourself into the mind of a Rohrbaugh to understand it I guess.  lol.  I must take a few photographs of our original prototype design in .380, prior to the continued development which became the R9 pistol.  Then you would certainly see the Mauser look.    ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 09:15:22 PM by ECR »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2015, 10:29:04 PM »

I can see it and I call it the "forward lean" look; there is another aspect to that term and it describes one's outlook on life. If I ever lose my forward lean philosophy it is time to hang 'em up.