Author Topic: Am I right in thinking ........  (Read 33001 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Am I right in thinking ........
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2005, 09:18:30 AM »
Mike:

I don't think I ever welcomed you to the Forum.  I do so now.

Your comments on your Golden Retrievers brought to mind a Hungarian Vizsla I used to own.  She also could melt your heart with her eyes and was so smart that it was often spooky.

(I think I'll close this now.  The computer monitor seems to be out of focus.)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2005, 01:57:13 PM »
Thanks. I feel welcome. I know what you mean about the monitor. I had a few " Kids that when it was Time for them to go, I wasn't affectively in such great control. But I guess there is nothing wrong with loving and missing those that loved us. It's a good kind of sad, if there is such a thing. And I think it makes us better people.

Mike
doubletapMike

Offline Woo_Woo

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2005, 12:55:01 AM »
I am 24 years old and I, like everyone else on the board, definitely value quality over quantity.  It may be a while before I own my first R9, but I guarantee it will be the next pistol that I buy.  My first and only pistol that I bought was a Glock 23 for $535, but as you all know, it is not exactly a pocket pistol.  I felt I was the youngest lurker here, but I have come to find that I have been beat by one year.   ;)
Steve

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2005, 10:59:57 AM »
Steve,

Some of us took a long time to accumulate enough money for the R9S.

Hope you get one soon.

Bill

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2005, 11:07:42 AM »
Richard and Mike,

I would like nothing better than a dog, but could not  stand the inevitable parting.  That's assuming I would be the survivor.  :)

Now we have three wild cats, who were born here in my garage.  They are super friends until they have eaten, then it's back to wild again, and they run like I was the devil.

A dog would be a much better pal.

Bill

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2005, 01:11:04 PM »
Bill, get a lab, you will never look back. talk about a buddy!
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Am I right in thinking ........irresistible.
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2005, 01:36:54 PM »
Tom,

I sure want one.  We had some wonderful times playing with Labs which belonged to relatives.

We started out being chosen by 13 wild cats, and now because of attrition,  we are down to 3.

It would be hard to take on the responsibility of a dog, just as we are slowly getting out of the cat business.

Certainly the rewards would be great.  If I were younger, the idea would be irrestible.

Bill

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Talkin bout my de de degeneration...
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2005, 02:53:28 PM »
Yay! Just turned 53 Sunday (yes, September 11), and I feel like a new woman;^)

Wife bought me a mutt puppy of my choice, so it was off to the pound and found a wonderful Border/Lab mix. Soooo cute! Picked up as a stray
a week or so prior... He's gotta be neutered before we can pick him up. I imagine this will not be the dog's best day;^(

Yes, I agree the older you become, the more willing you are to part with cash for guns, since we no longer feel omnipotent ("Tish, I love it when you speak French...") and have to use bullets instead of fists.  Plus there are a lot more just plain bad guys. In today's paper, I read of a BG carjacking a woman  and a good guy followed them to help the lady. The BG pulls gun, shoots and Mr. Good pulls his Roscoe and sends the guy to the ground like a sack of potatoes. BG is also suspected in a rape/murder in the same area last week. Too bad the Good Guy didn't get to the hijacked vehicle before a cement truck plowed into the SUV, killing the woman. Tragic!

So, we all NEED a R9, it's just a matter of finding one and the money to pay for it. It is indeed my only carry gun.  I do have a dilemma about what other guns to carry so I'll post that in the other guns category.

Hayword N. Edgewise

I am surprised by some to the ages presented here. I will be 53 in September, but when I was younger and struggling to provide a living for my family, I could never have afforded a Rohrbaugh, no matter how much I needed one. Fortunatley, mine is prepaid now, and just waiting on a shipment date.

Frank
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2005, 02:57:57 PM »
Not really on topic but since cats got mentioned - thought I'd share this pic - took it two days ago and it seems to demonstrate the extreme ability cats have for relaxing and chilling out!  ;D ;D

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2005, 03:25:14 PM »
Chris, that kitty looks like you take good care of him.

He doesn't seem to be too scared.

Bill

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2005, 10:20:47 PM »
Beiieve it or not MountainMain owns a large tall white standard poodle.  If I were single I would have it made.  I constantly have women coming up to me - some just stop their car to talk.  Down side is we both get a haircut about the samt time period.  Mine cost $9 plus tip -his costs $43 plus tip.  A extremely smart dog.  His grandfather was top show dog in the country.  Another downside - a walk through the woods results in him being a mess.  He is both your kid and best friend.  I would like to get a lab also but don't think I could get that past my wife.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2005, 10:32:50 PM »
Chris:

That is one laid back cat!  What's your secret -- Prozac or Zoloft?  Whatever it is, I need to use it on mine.  Laid back, he ain't!  Here he is, "King Tut" himself, waiting on his morning coffee:

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2005, 11:23:57 PM »
Handsome fella there Richard.  

My secret?  Not known!  Just her innate ability to really ''let go'' when sleep calls! :)  The other one is good at this too but not quite so ''in yer face"  ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2005, 12:11:42 PM »
Dave:

It sounds like you have a truly great dog.  Many people don't realize that Standard Poodles are so very much more than elegant show dogs and "chick magnets" and that they were originally bred in Europe for hunting upland game and waterfowl as well as for guard duty.  I've often wondered why the AKC places them in the Non-Sporting Group.  

I got a laugh from your description of the difference in cost for your haircuts.  That was one thing about the Vizsla I used to own -- you could groom her with a wet rag.  (After 15 years, I still grieve.)

Enjoy your dog!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2005, 12:25:30 PM »
I've had 17 labs in my life. A couple were very good well trained pets. The others were field trained, ran them in both AKC hunting tests and field trials. Ended up with some master hunting dogs. Some times a couple of them would wake you up at about 4:30 am to go outside. We thought they just needed to air but when they started sitting by the truck, I figured out they were ready to go hunting. I still have one black lab left, he is a great pet and will hunt also. Later this fall, I will be getting another lab fully trained to be a service dog. Now he can go every where with me,ie resturants and bars. Soooo I can go to the irish pub and order a whisky for me and a beer for the dog!!!!   haha      Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus