Author Topic: Portable target stand using PVC pipe  (Read 9718 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Portable target stand using PVC pipe
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 06:25:57 PM »
Brenden - and Bill - I think the wind problem (apart from taking a coupla Tums LOL) can be dealt with by use of sandbags unless really blowy - or a couple of ''U'' spikes like big staples driven in over each side on ground..

Bill - there is nominal 2", 3" and 4" pipe available - I use Sched' 40 for most projects (including potato cannons!).  Downside with upsizing is weight - tho I guess 2" could be worth a try - after that tho I think it will just get too cumbersome.

Oh and Brenden - re shooting bench - well I cheated and a year ago got one of the fold-up deals, from Cabella's IIRC - it was not over cheap but it has proved real handy and folds up all but flat.  has it's own seat and rifle rest etc - worth considering.  if you want a pic I'll take one for you but a browse on Cabella's site might find it - there are two or three versions and this is about the best IMO.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 07:08:26 PM »
Brenden - and Bill - I think the wind problem (apart from taking a coupla Tums LOL) can be dealt with by use of sandbags unless really blowy - or a couple of ''U'' spikes like big staples driven in over each side on ground..

Bill - there is nominal 2", 3" and 4" pipe available - I use Sched' 40 for most projects (including potato cannons!).  Downside with upsizing is weight - tho I guess 2" could be worth a try - after that tho I think it will just get too cumbersome.

Oh and Brenden - re shooting bench - well I cheated and a year ago got one of the fold-up deals, from Cabella's IIRC - it was not over cheap but it has proved real handy and folds up all but flat.  has it's own seat and rifle rest etc - worth considering.  if you want a pic I'll take one for you but a browse on Cabella's site might find it - there are two or three versions and this is about the best IMO.

Chris,
Thanks for the info..

I do not really need the "portable" factor on either the Targets or the Stand,being I can shoot out the back door..(lucky I know) Looking for the "easier" thing as we are all want to do.. ;)
Not "lazy" just have a bit of a problem diggin postholes by hand.. ;)

As far as the bench-my 5-sided picnic table works great,but another wooden "table" design would be great..I am looking for a "dedicated" bench..
I have researched and asked on a couple of other sites previous,w/o a design.. :(

Thanks again all for your info and for your time..

Bill,I plan on doing at least 3 of these for my set-up..Thanks..

Brenden

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2006, 07:54:48 PM »
Brenden:

Here is a link to a design which appears to me to be promising:  

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/bigprojects.htm
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2006, 07:55:21 PM »
I'm glad the PVC stand is receiving favorable reviews.

Richard, the artist's easel is something my wife just brought in.  I was hardly aware of it in the picture.  She buys antiques about as fast as they become available.

I asked if it could be used as a target stand, but she declined.

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2006, 07:59:07 PM »

That sounds strangely familiar.   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2006, 08:11:37 PM »
Not even a 7 yarder?? ;)

Brenden

I'm glad the PVC stand is receiving favorable reviews.

Richard, the artist's easel is something my wife just brought in.  I was hardly aware of it in the picture.  She buys antiques about as fast as they become available.

Bill
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2006, 10:16:38 PM »
Brenden,

I plan to always practice from 7 yards.  Does that seem like a reasonable approach?

Well, either 21 or 25 feet would be my choice, since my interest is self defense only.

Anybody have thoughts about that?

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2006, 10:38:51 PM »
For most purposes Bill I'd agree - 7 - 10 yards region is good.  In fact IMO practice at 10 yards is handy because even that small distance increase very readily shows the group widening - as we'd expect but it also shows trends that might be due to grip, trigger control etc.  Good hits at 10 yards all but guarantee stellar hits closer in. :)

I do tho suggest that most folks at least a few times try their carry gun at longer range, like 25 yards.  it is very unlikely as we can pretty much guarantee, that anything going down will be that far away - if it was, chances would be we coulda got the heck outa Dodge! ;)

It is tho IMO worth knowing for the record, whether we can hit say a B37 at that longer distance - ''proving'' if you will.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2006, 11:38:23 PM »
Brenden,

I plan to always practice from 7 yards.  Does that seem like a reasonable approach?

Well, either 21 or 25 feet would be my choice, since my interest is self defense only.

Anybody have thoughts about that?

Bill

Bill,
 I just thought you would have a better chance of not hitting your wife's frame of her easel at 7 yards.. ;)
I personally shoot at the 7 yard mark and I also do the "point blank" occassionally too!! ;D

I will also shoot at 20 or 25 yards to make myself "honest"  :D

Not so much with the pup-but with the other non-bugs.. :)

Brenden
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 11:39:33 PM by Brenden »
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2006, 12:18:27 AM »
Much appreciated advice.

This is a great board!