Author Topic: looking to be a new owner  (Read 11902 times)

Offline socialwork911

looking to be a new owner
« on: August 05, 2012, 08:25:04 AM »
I am looking to purchase a 9, and have researched and read a lot, but how can I buy a gun without ever shooting it?  Is that what everyone here has done? Would love to shoot one first, does anyone live in southeast florida that would allow me to shoot their gun? thanks.

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
Re: looking to be a new owner
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 09:20:40 AM »
I bought one sight unseen (no pun intended) and without ever having shot one.  I was not disappointed, but I do understand your concern....

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 11:22:24 AM »
welcome, I can help you get one once you make that decision. None of my customers, from all over the US, told me they had shoot one before getting it. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 02:57:43 PM »
I'm looking to purchase one too, but I don't know the price difference betrween a Standard and the Tribute.

Do you give quotes Tom?

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 05:32:27 PM »
Send him an email through the forum, or

his contact info is also on his website http://irishguardfirearmsltd.com/contact.htm

Hope this helps...

Offline socialwork911

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 05:28:44 PM »
thanks for all the info and making me feel welcomed....went to my LGS, they didn't have one, nor have they ever shot one?? they were not eager about it...to much money for a carry always shoot almost never gun, can't really range shoot it...typical responses as I've read else where...so

no one in SE FLA has one???.....I did shoot a taurus TCP, nice trigger and hand fit...and a Ruger LCP-very bad trigger and too small for my hand...these are 380's....love to have a 9...I would carry it IWB, if it's not too much bigger than the TCP/LCP, it is a perfect size .going to a gun show next week...maybe I find one to hold and dry fire...that should help......come on someone in SE FLA has one, no?????

if I do order one, should I do it through my LGS?  I would like a stealth S, with black screws and hogue grips..can I order it that way from Rohrbaugh?

thanks for all the help

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 06:02:45 PM »
Socialwork911 - first let me welcome you to the forum. :)

My understanding is that your LGS will not be able to order from the factory.  You can use them for the transfer when ordering from another dealer or individual.

Over the years on this forum I have heard nothing but the highest praises from R9 owners who purchased their guns from Tom Watson at "The Irish Gaurd".  (the third post in this thread).

He can make your experience seamless.  Do yourself a favor and click on his avator and send him a PM or email. 

Dat's DA Easy Way. :)

NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 07:57:29 PM »
Is Tom on vacation or something?

I sent an e-mail to tomswatson@sbcglobal.net July 27th and Aug 1st, and I sent PMs to TheIrishGaurd on the forum on July 30th and Aug 5th and I haven't heard back.

Offline socialwork911

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 11:30:03 AM »
i just sent tom an email too about purchasing a 9...we'll see

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 11:54:59 AM »
Tom will always get back to you, but it does sometimes take a few days. It will be worth the wait.

-Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline socialwork911

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 03:11:29 PM »
i did find a 9s stealth in my LGS to dry fire($1395)..what a smooth trigger..and great size......very strange, the dealer did not like the gun???? and want to promote it????? very strange....he wanted me to buy a 380 for carry and a large 9 for home....I just don't get it...even after I told him I liked the size for carry and the trigger....seemed to not want me to buy it.....any ideas on this???

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 03:20:32 PM »
The only few things that I can think of is that the dealer may have had certain ideas about recoil and whether the R9 was controllable, and possibly that the R9 can be finicky about ammo and he didn't want to hassle with a customer complaining about the weapon getting jams with WWB or Wolf ammo or some such...

From what I've read, the R9 can be picky out ammo, but once you've found a cartridge that your pistol likes, it will fire that ammo reliably.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 03:33:23 PM »
i did find a 9s stealth in my LGS to dry fire($1395)..what a smooth trigger..and great size......very strange, the dealer did not like the gun???? and want to promote it????? very strange....he wanted me to buy a 380 for carry and a large 9 for home....I just don't get it...even after I told him I liked the size for carry and the trigger....seemed to not want me to buy it.....any ideas on this???

Could have been a consignment gun that he was not making much money on.

Either way, he was not looking out for the best interest of the customer.  >:(   Thus, he can not be trusted in my book. :(  Speaking as a former dealer and Retailman for 13 years.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline billmc

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 05:24:13 PM »

Socialwork, welcome.  I just purchased mine a couple of weeks ago, from a store in Ft. Lauderdale.  From your description, it sounds like you're at the same store.  AZ Gunrange.  I left the stealth there and took the other.  If you go back to them, check their website, he has it listed $200 less there.  I've bought from them in the past, to me they seem to be more expensive, on the other side of the coin, when I'm looking, they tend to have it, so...  I bought mine based upon reputation and it being 9 mm.  I traded my LCP to them for it.  I didn't like the looonnnggg trigger pull on the LCP, this one I can work with.

As to why they wouldn't want you to buy it, dunno.  Maybe like someone else suggested, less of a commission, I'd guess you weren't dealing with the owner though, one of the hired hands maybe.

Just my opinion (and you know what they say about those), I would not choose a .380 as my primary carry, doesn't consistently penetrate far enough.  I laid my LCP on top of/over the R9, they're virtually the same size.  Excepting problems that I probably caused the 2nd time out; I'd say get it.  I can only compare it to the LCP and I think its way nicer.

Offline socialwork911

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 11:35:39 AM »
bill, you are correct, it was the same store....maybe i csn meet you there one day when you shoot..or the othr lgs off atlantic blvd..i like that one better...national....looking at the 380 for less recoil..but that really may not be an issue..can't tell for sure..love to pull the trigger of your 9..then I would know for sure..the Rohrbaugh is on my (very) short list....how has shooting it been so far?