Author Topic: Slow response time?  (Read 4300 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Slow response time?
« on: January 19, 2006, 10:42:07 PM »
Response time on the forum has been very slow for me the last couple of days.

Is anybody else noticing a slowdown?

Bill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Slow response time?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 09:59:35 AM »
I haven't noticed, but I will keep an eye on it.  
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 11:30:35 AM »
Bill:

Last week I noticed what I thought to be some slow responses to commands while navigating the Forum.  I'm lightyears behind you in software skills, but in my case the problem seems to have been caused by a virus and an accumulation of cookies and temporary files in my computer.  A Norton scan combined with a cookie/file dump seems to have solved my problem.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 01:00:17 PM »
Thanks, folks.

Most likely, I need to clean up my computers, same as Richard.

It's extra important on this forum, because you want to see all the good things quickly.   :)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 01:07:00 PM »
I visit this and two other forums, on and off during a day and so have a means of comparison.

Overall this site has been pretty darned good but I do notice periodically that there is quite a delay while a server request is processed.  Often there is a 10 sec delay or so before things appear but also it can stretch to 20 secs and more sometimes.

The good thing tho is, I can hardly think of any occasions when I get the ''Failure to connect to server'' result, after a 45 sec attempt, as happens on others sometimes.

So - pretty good overall and probably sometimes it is just heavy traffic on the server, which I am assuming is shared and not dedicated.

I did notice today, the ''image burden'' on the ''Outside my windows'' thread is up to 6Mb or so  :o - don't forget folks members like Brenden who are struggling on dial-up - and I doubt he can viably use that thread because of it.  Reduce pics a bit in physical size and file size - it does speed up loading even for us with fast connections.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 02:46:07 PM »
Chris,
Thanks for the thought!!
Yes,that thread is a bit slow for me but I still "wait it out" to see what new is posted.. ;)
I have seen maybe a little "slower" response at times here,but I always attribute it to my end!! ;D

I patiently await my telephone company to offer DSL in my neck of the woods!! ;D

Checked on "dish" prices again,I would rather buy extra ammo at the prices they want!! :o

Thanks again,

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 06:58:13 PM »
I visit the site from my home which has cable and work which also has high speed.  Both computers are maintained by deleting cookies, running scan disk, etc...  I have no slow downs.  I visit the site at all times during the day and night. I have have no slow down issues.  May I suggest the following free clean up software?  We use it at work (very large company) and I use it at home.  Great program.  See the link below.

http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

-By the way it is free!  Enjoy!

It runs faster and seems to do a better job than other spy ware I have used.  It makes your computer run better and faster.

Respectfully,
Jim
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 06:59:49 PM by bigyimmy »

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 10:42:07 PM »
Recently this site has been an exercise in patience. It is so S    L    O    W! In comparison the Seecamp site snaps.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 11:05:12 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for the tip about program Cleanup.

I downloaded and ran the program.  It seems to be doing a fine job.  

The computer is still running, too.  :)

Bill

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 04:39:30 AM »
Bill,
I am glad you like the program.  I no longer use Ad Aware and Spy Bot software.  I never have had a problem with the software and we use it at work which is a very large world wide corporation.
Regards,
Jim