Author Topic: I just heard....a couple more months  (Read 12341 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: I just heard....a couple more months
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 12:43:38 AM »
Russ (oh mega lurker! LOL) - welcome, at last!  :)  Great you have your gun.

Dave - the apparent S/N disparity is probably due to an older frame because the ''Deer park'' will be on the slide.  I seem to remember that some earlier frames were still being factored in - Eric having gone up to CT a while back IIRC to collect some earlier ones that needed refinished.

I doubt for some while yet that an S/N will always totally match  the apparent output sequence.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 01:32:24 AM »
Thanks Chris - I wonder than if the frame is black or grey.

[glb]I own about a hundred or so handguns and this one impresses me. [/glb]

Well Russ if you have about 100 handguns I don't feel so bad with three Seecamps.   Let is know how the new on shoots.
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2005, 09:03:35 AM »
The following is my understanding of how the serial numbers get out of sequence.

The frames are marked with the serial number  before they are sent out for finial finish [anodize].   The frames  are inspected upon their return to the Factory.   Any frames that do not have an acceptable finish, are pulled out and returned to the Anodize vendor, making those frames out of sequence  with the next batch.

For example, my Pup is numbered  R 600, and I received it months ago..  The gun you received today could be marked with a lower number...

A few years back, I spent a few months in the Remington Firearms Factory in Illion, NY..  I had a lot of time on my hands and a nearly free run of the whole factory.    I observed the Serial numbers being Stamped on the long guns,  it was virtually the last thing done,  just before being boxed and sent to the Shipping / staging area.  
RJ=

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2005, 11:19:01 AM »
Thanks RJ.  We are just so use to SS#s showing when a gun (or anything) is made.  Guess this is another example of what makes the R9 unique.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Russ

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2005, 12:41:40 PM »
The frame on the R281 is black or very close to it.  It's virtually the same color as the grips.

And I only have two Seecamps.  Three are way too many!

(We're not counting the .25s, are we?)

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2005, 12:54:34 PM »
Russ,
I assume then you like the way the black frame looks - which is good since my new one coming in will most likely be black also.  Being the handgun collector you are I respect your opinion on what looks good.

Three Seecamps may be too many - thinking of getting one engaved.   Wife doesn't know I have three.  If your married does she know about the other 99 plus.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005, 12:57:06 PM »
Dave, The frame will be black. It looks great!!!   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2005, 01:00:44 PM »
Tom - thanks - and your one who has seen enough R9s to know what looks good - black it is.

Offline Russ

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2005, 01:21:58 PM »
I have managed to keep my wife in the dark about the handguns by hiding them amongst the hundred or so longguns.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2005, 01:56:11 PM »
I had to log on for a minute before heading out the door to say Russ - "I want to be at your house when the Chinese finally decided to stop just buying up the USA and attack us."

I'm sure you keep such a gun collection under wraps. Not only from the local criminal element, but also the local liberal news media.  I've seen cases where a supposed "concerned neighbor" reports a gun collector to a news station and someone appears at your door with a film crew.  That happened to my brother years ago and he only had a fraction of the number of guns you have.  The neighbor reported him to the authorites stating with the number of guns he was a threat to his children and the community.   Nothing came from it - now if Hilary becomes President ........

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2005, 02:00:30 PM »
Lets not bring her into any good conversation!    Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2005, 10:33:46 PM »
Called the factory to check on the status of my gun. Apparently there are guns ready to be shipped but they're waiting on magazines. I was told it would likely be sometime in July.
Seems odd that they wouldn't have enough magazines on hand. Oh well...

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2005, 12:36:35 AM »
harrydog - I think one of the many probs of outsourcing - as they must for mags (Mec-Gar IIRC) - is keeping up with rest of the sequence.

Like as not (guessing) they have gotten so much into gear that so many guns have gone out of late - they have plumb run short of mags - plus maybe some slight delay from supplier.

Must be hell trying to co-ordinate all the stuff to keep guns going out non stop.

July is round the corner - fingers X'd for your gun to soon be there.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2005, 08:01:04 PM »
Yup, just around the corner. I'm actually okay with the wait for some reason that I can't explain. I really hope I like this gun because I want it to be my everyday carry weapon. I've fondled one before, but shooting it is the only way to find out. I guess recoil would be the only possible thing that could be a problem for me. And reliability of course. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.   :)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2005, 08:37:50 PM »
I am hearing a middle of July delivery for a Michigan order.. 8)

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe