Author Topic: Carbon Fiber Grips?  (Read 4537 times)

Offline Archiver

Carbon Fiber Grips?
« on: March 04, 2006, 03:50:56 PM »
 :-[    I am considering purchasing an R9 for  summer CCW due to its small size.   I am a self proclaimed Carbon Fiber Nut...have it on all our cars and love my Beretta Billenium in part to the cool grips.

While surfing online I found an article http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/R9.htm that mentioned that earlier R9's have the Carbon Fiber I am seeking -" however, newer versions will come with all black grips made from a state of the art polymer known as G-10."

On the Rohrbaugh Website NOTHING mentions the grip material at all :(
Is This True that new ones are "G-10"? If so,  anyone selling theirs with the CF?
Thanks!
Chris
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 03:53:24 PM by Archiver »

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: Carbon Fiber Grips?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 06:36:08 PM »
Chris, at this point the R9s has carbon fiber grips. They will change in the near future. If you are looking to buy one with carbon fiber fiber grips PM me, I will try to help.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 09:17:26 PM »
Chris - Tom is probably more up on the time frame than I am but recall when talking with Eric last - two or three weeks ago, after ShotShow it was - I got impression that the CF's will go on a bit but - longer term they will not be cost effective and so will be replaced, with it seems the G10.  Key aspect with any alternative is the machinability coupled with strength on the right panel.

IIRC Boing Corp has bought up or does buy up all CF output for use by themselves and so prices have soared - and availablity too has probably taken a dive.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 01:38:10 PM »
Will they be available as an option?  I like the way those grips feel -- I really can't stand plastic ones -- nor do I own any guns w. them -- I still want to try and special order one for me, to have checkered, and try to get my brother, and my uncle one -- I really don't know that this is a good idea -- I'm happy to pay for a pistol made this well, but the whole reason I like it is they don't cut corners.

My buddy's Desert Warrior Kimber came w. G10 grips, and the first thing he had did was replace them w. something that doesn't feel like slick plastic.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 01:45:47 PM by Aglifter »
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 03:43:26 PM »
Archiver,

Welcome to the forum!!

I know that the last one that I bought,Deer Park,came with black CFs..Last fall time frame,and the others that I have seen advertised all apparently do also..

I am always on the lookout for "extra" grips-preferably the earlier Blue ones!!I have yet been able to snag a set though!! :(
Instead, in order to get them,I have had to buy a pup attached to them!! ;) ;D

Welcome again..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 04:44:30 PM »
I don't have a problem with them using G-10. It's a very strong material - perhaps even stronger than the CF being used now. And it can be textured so as to not feel slick.

Offline Archiver

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 02:13:43 PM »
WOW thanks for all the responses :D
   Now I know for sure now that I do want the Black Carbon Fiber ....Had no idea Blue was even a possibility until you guys!

Sounds like extra grips are a good idea too , or switching them out if they were available. Hope they are available at some point, but I guess we're  lucky that the Rohrbaugh even exists at all.
Thanks again

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 04:07:11 PM »
Archiver, the old blue CF grips are not available only the black. Are you wanting to get a R9s with carbon fiber grips?
Tom

Offline TeufelTexan

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 11:58:48 PM »
FWIW, I own several High-end knives with G-10 scales.  If textured properly, this material offers INCREDIBLE grip.  I've abused these knives through 13 years of Emergency Services and Military Service (Including 22 months in the sandbox).    These have held up like gangbusters under some pretty serious abuse.  I would strongly consider buying a set for my R9 if made available by the factory (with the right design, of course).  Could always put the CF's away for later if necessary.

Here's hoping that the grips are designed to maximize grip and operation vs aesthetics.  (Or maybe an option of "carry grade" available as an aftermarket option? Aggressive checkering with a wraparound checkered frontstrap a'la Wilson Combat?)

Just my .02 worth...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 01:17:37 AM by TeufelTexan »

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Can't get a grip...Was:..Re: Carbon Fiber Grips?
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 06:54:32 PM »
Hello TeufelTexan and welcome to this wonderful forum!
If you answer the next question correctly, you win a prize:
If you were in Germany, how would you pronounce 'Teufel'?
Think hard before you answer...

I too have knives with G-10 and I happen to like it very much.
For those of you who object to 'plastic', I have a Bob Dozier
Folder with 'Antique Micarta'  handles. Now that plastics have
been around so long, they qualify as an 'antique' material;^)
Who'da thunk it?

I've been pining for Cocobolo Rosewood grips for my R9S.
I may have some made and offer them up in one of our fancy
custom Cocobolo display cases.  Tasty!

Steve Freund
King ("Hey, the job was open!...)
Tomway, LLC

FWIW, I own several High-end knives with G-10 scales.  If textured properly, this material offers INCREDIBLE grip.  I've abused these knives through 13 years of Emergency Services and Military Service (Including 22 months in the sandbox).    These have held up like gangbusters under some pretty serious abuse.  I would strongly consider buying a set for my R9 if made available by the factory (with the right design, of course).  Could always put the CF's away for later if necessary.

Here's hoping that the grips are designed to maximize grip and operation vs aesthetics.  (Or maybe an option of "carry grade" available as an aftermarket option? Aggressive checkering with a wraparound checkered frontstrap a'la Wilson Combat?)

Just my .02 worth...
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 07:02:55 PM »
Nice to see you back Steve.

Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 10:12:42 AM »
Calvin, where have you been?
Tom

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Talkin bout my de-de-de-generation...
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 11:37:10 AM »
Calvin, where have you been?
Tom
Hi Guys!
Sorry I haven't been able to post lately. You might remember I've been busy taking care of Mom and the good brother. Bro is healed, although they discovered he has diabetes and some damage to his heart. Not life threatening, except he has to give up every thing that means something to him, that is, alcohol, smoking, women(?!), food, and fine living all around. He's paying the piper...

Mom, on the other hand, has a broken neck. Sounds dire! It is. When I was a kid back in '06;^), if you broke your neck, you were dead. Now, and luckily, I've found out that is just not the case. I'm not diminishing the pain and suffering she bears, but a broken neck is not all that uncommon in elderly people, especially ones with degenerative arthritis.
(And I thought I was the degenerate in the family;^)

So, the prognosis is to wear a foam collar for 3-4 months and it should heal enough for her to remove the collar, and be as close to stable as is possible. The surgical alternative is not an option, because the morbidity rate in 40-50 year old people is high. In elderly folks, it's worse. We don't want to tear down the building to put out the fire!

So, three months of relative misery  vs. 9 months to a year to recover. It's too much quality time out of what life remains for my Mom. Thus the decision to take the conservative approach. I just can't stand to see her in pain. They say your parents become your children. Mom's a pretty nice kid!

Now, some 'on-topic' stuff. I am SO glad that my R9 is such a great gun!
I've felt for a long time that the gun would be improved and the reliability of my gun is now certain. Remember, no machine is perfect (except my Tim Hancock ABS Mastersmith forged Loveless hunter;^).
You know I also collect guitars (but you can include your own passion here) and it's a rare beast that's perfect right out of the box. The important thing is that you satisfy your own self that this gun is for you. The recent link we got to Larry Seecamp's view of feeding issues was really eye opening, making me realize this is not an uncommon problem. And the fact that some guns work better for some people, but not all of them, is both disturbing and a relief at the same time. It explains a lot.

One thing I'm gonna change when I'm President is people will be allowed to return their stuff if it doesn't work for them. Think: Tires. How on earth can someone know how they will like the tires they choose until they're bought and on the car. Too late to return them! Not with me! And now that I've turned this into a politcal forum (I beg your forgiveness;^), also when I'm President, no one will be allowed to serve water in a restaurant with lemon already in it. Who made that rule?  Lemon will ONLY be allowed when requested. And all those guys who sit in the passing lane at a slow speed will be picked up by a helicopter with grappling hooks and flown to Iraq, where they will end the war by combining all tribes in unity against this world menace;^)

I have a whole list of things I'll do when I'm President. If you have some, let me know and if they are worthy, I'll add them (credit will be given where due!) and we'll start a grass roots return to sensibility in America!

Your next President,
Calvin Cooledge
"Vote For Me; The Other Guy's Worse..."

"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 03:30:09 PM »
Steve - great to see you drop by - sorry to hear your Mom has had such a hard time - good that bro is relatively on the mend.

Thx too for your unique injection of humor, even with all you have had to deal with :)

I'll nominate you for Prez!!!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline dctfn

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 11:42:59 AM »
I own several Benchmade knives and thought forum members would find this interesting. G10 is very light weight and durable. Regards, Fred

G10- An extremely durable makeup of layers of fiberglass soaked in resin, then highly compressed and baked. Impervious to moisture or liquid and physically stable under climate change. Most commonly black, but is available in various colors, too. Benchmade was the first knife manufacturer to use G10.