Author Topic: Pocketable pistols  (Read 6252 times)

Offline Packard

Pocketable pistols
« on: September 21, 2010, 02:55:07 PM »
My last pocketable pistol was my old Beretta 25 (single action only).  It rode in my back pocket for so many years that almost all of the bluing had rubbed off.  It is long gone now (replaced by the more potent pepper spray canister sitting in my vest pocket).

My question is, do you consider the Rohrbaugh 9mm a pocket carry weapon or is it just a little too thick for that?

My options are the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard in .380, or the Ruger RCP or (perhaps) the Rohrbaugh 9mm or the Kel-tec 9mm single stack.

The caliber (9mm) is certainly more appealing than the .380, but the local dealers do not carry the weapon and I've not handled one yet.

Clearly the Rohrbaugh is a larger investment in money (and apparently effort in light of some of the problems reported) than the others.

In any event I will not make up my mind until I've had a chance to handle one, but I'd like some feedback in advance.

Also, when it is not in your pocket, where do you carry it concealed?

Offline Corvette

• Expert
Re: Pocketable pistols
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 03:06:21 PM »
IMO, unless you have very large pockets, the R9 is too large to fit into the category of a "pocket pistol".
But it is without a doubt, the best small 9mm money will buy.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 03:25:08 PM by 68hodaka »

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 03:20:46 PM »
Packard

Welcome.

My R9 has lived in my pocket for a couple of years now. I have a Smartcarry, and a De Santis ankle holster but have not used either in over a year. The R9 is quite comfortable in it's HiddenHolsters pocket holster.

Once you do handle a R9 you will probably be hooked. I was and I am sure you will hear the same from others on this forum.

Rick

Offline 4mallard

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 05:12:29 PM »
Packard:

I have found that the R9s in a DeSantis Nemesis rides in my right front pocket like it belongs there. I have only tried it in one pair of trousers with front pockets too small for it to fit comfortably. As a matter of fact, I carry a few other things in my pocket with the R9s, being one of the tiny Swiss Army pocket knives, a tube of Vaseline lip balm and a very small bottle of eye drops. It all fits fine. I place a folded handkerchief on the outside of the holster to absorb any "print-through", and I could forget it's all there - except I always know I'm armed.

If you're able to try a Rohrbaugh out, you will be tempted to forget about the other, smaller calibre stuff. But Rick is right. Beware, because familiarity, in this case, breeds addiction. You have been warned.

4mallard
"Speed is life."
James "Red" Best
RADM, USN (Ret.)
Gunfighter Extraordinaire

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 05:20:25 PM »
The R9 IS a pocketable pistol.  I carry front right pocket also with no problems.  I do think that the R9 is at the upper limits of size to qualify as a pocket pistol though.  

Where are you located?  We have forum members all over the country and one might be close enough to you to go check theirs out.  Just a thought.

Corey

Offline eye_spy

• mcgrathinvestig ativeservices.c om
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 05:50:40 PM »
The R9 was designed to be a pocket pistol and is very comfortable in all my front pockets.

I had the Keltec pf9, and it was a poorly constructed cheepo pistola.  See my post under proud new owner.

The r9 is not much harder to carry than a Ruger LCP (wife has one)  It is much more potent and MUCH better quality.

If you are very small, the LCP may make a noticeable difference, but I doubt you will mind the difference.

The r9 is a dream to carry, are there slightly more comfortable options? Yes.  But not in a quality pistol of useful calibur.

I don't wish to start a calibur bashing war, but I deal with criminal cases all of the time and I am not a true expert, but I have seen my client shot in the head with a .380.  He was arrested for brutally beating the $..t out of the guy who shot him point blank in the head.  The bullet broke the skin and bounced off his skull.

Bullet was a .380 acp jhp out of a walther I believe.

Any bullet can fail to stop, but in a small pistol, small caliburs can piss people off.

I look at it this way, a compact 9mm is like a full size .380
a compact .380 is like alarge .32 (if that's possible) and anything around a .32 is very questionable.

So, if you can be fairly comfortable with the r9, get it.  If you must go smaller, I would say the Ruger LCP or Ruger LCR is a good choice.  (I find the R9 more comfortable than the Ruger LCP)

Good Luck!

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 06:33:16 PM »
Right front pocket 98% of the time. Right now I'm in NY and feel naked with no pup (hell no gun)  :o

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 07:10:37 PM »
Packard.  Welcome to the Forum.  I carry a Meco back pocket holster, but in the front pocket.  I prefer the back pocket holster because of the back flap and it doesn't print.  I only carry in the front pocket.  Best of luck in your decision.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 07:14:59 PM »

Through my own inattention I have arrived at my hotel in NYC and discovered an empty Glock magazine on one occasion and six rounds of GD on another. Both of them went through security at departure point unnoticed. I sent the magazine back to myself via Fedex and threw the Gold Dots into the East River on the other occasion. What a country!

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 08:20:55 PM »
...Clearly the Rohrbaugh is a larger investment in money (and apparently effort in light of some of the problems reported) than the others.

I'd say that the Rohrbaugh has considerably fewer problems reported than any of the other semis you are considering...
**We Don't Rent Pigs***

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 08:29:19 PM »
Packard.  Once you get one R9, you MAY want another.  I do have to stress may, though; doesn't necessarily happen to all.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 10:49:16 AM »
Packard, welcome, enjoy and go for it. It's a great pocket pistol. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Packard

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 11:09:24 AM »
Right now I'm just doing research.  The cooler weather is coming up and a Glock 27 will conceal easily under a light sweater or sweater-vest (or sweat shirt).  

Come next summer however the Glock is migrating to the ankle and I want something that I can pocket.  

The feedback here is excellent.  I will post some more questions soon.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 11:16:11 AM »

Packard,

If the R9 were not viable as a pocket pistol Rohrbaugh would not have sold 5,000 of them. As you described, the Glock 27 would be a weapon of wide choice outside the pocket.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 11:34:43 AM »
Packard.  You've definitely come to the right place for info on the R9.  There's a host of folks here who can answer your questions and if not, there's always Maria at Rohrbaugh who can answer or get you an answer, 1-800-803-2233.  Wishing you the best in your decision.