Author Topic: So how bad is it: Slide/frame wear  (Read 6435 times)

Offline Dire_Straits

• Sharpshooter
So how bad is it: Slide/frame wear
« on: May 25, 2012, 03:35:09 PM »
I'm looking at a local R9 that is for sale, the owner states the round count is between 200 and 250 rnds. Judging from the exterior, I would suspect it's been carried more than it's been fired.

Always remember to inspect the internals. From the pics, what is your opinion of the round count? If the round count is as low as he states, I suspect it's been ran without proper lubrication.

ETA: I lubed the pistol with EWL and EWG. It ran flawlessly for the 50rnds I put through it.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 03:39:28 PM by Dire_Straits »
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, said the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. Revelation 1:8

Offline Dire_Straits

• Sharpshooter
Re: So how bad is it: Slide/frame wear
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 03:36:10 PM »
Pic 2
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, said the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. Revelation 1:8

Offline Dire_Straits

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 03:36:37 PM »
Pic 3

Offline Dire_Straits

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »
Pic 4

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 05:13:16 PM »
DS:

From the wear (which is self-limiting with proper lubrication), I would estimate about 250-300 rounds were run through that R9. It could be that it might have benefited from a little more lube on the wear points, but it appears to be in good condition.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
I'm looking at a local R9 that is for sale, the owner states the round count is between 200 and 250 rnds. Judging from the exterior, I would suspect it's been carried more than it's been fired.

Always remember to inspect the internals. From the pics, what is your opinion of the round count? If the round count is as low as he states, I suspect it's been ran without proper lubrication.

ETA: I lubed the pistol with EWL and EWG. It ran flawlessly for the 50rnds I put through it.

DS.  I'm not good at judging how many rds have been fired, however, as RS states, the wear is self limiting with proper lubing; firing fifty rds with no hiccups, I'd say it's good to go.

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 07:20:19 PM »
I can not judge round count either.  Too many variables/ifs and maybes.  Obviously it is used and  has settled in well judging by it's performance.  And  you obviously have mastered theses critters well.

If the  price is fair, go  for it.

Let us know how it goes.

Good Luck
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 09:34:40 PM »
After a careful examination of the pics there were 160 115gr WWBs, 50 115gr Remington UMCs, 25 124gr Speere Gold Dots and 7 124 gr Golden Sabers fired through that gun.  ;D ;D 8)
  It doesn't look bad and if it ran 50 with no issues I would say it's good to go if the price is right.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 08:22:06 AM »
After a careful examination of the pics there were 160 115gr WWBs, 50 115gr Remington UMCs, 25 124gr Speere Gold Dots and 7 124 gr Golden Sabers fired through that gun.  ;D ;D 8)
  It doesn't look bad and if it ran 50 with no issues I would say it's good to go if the price is right.

John:

After a careful examination of the first photograph I can find traces of only 156 115gr WWBs.   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 08:45:23 AM »
Gee whiz, you guys are good!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 10:10:27 AM »
John and I were consultants for CSI: Miami.   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 12:00:57 PM »
Yes, indeed; it's all about the rudiments of expertise!    ;D   

Offline Dire_Straits

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 02:06:50 PM »
Thanks guys, your posts made me feel better about picking this one up; That makes two!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 02:13:14 PM »
Congrats, DS.  Enjoy the 2nd one.    :) 

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 07:52:40 PM »
Good Deal, now you're on your way to filling a box!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE