Author Topic: ALMOST sold the R9  (Read 4892 times)

Offline jeeptree2112

ALMOST sold the R9
« on: November 06, 2012, 08:12:39 PM »
Well, the R9 has been a arduous firearm for me to really get to know.  When I first bought it, it jammed (FTF) and (FTE) a multitude of times despite all the suggestions on this forum from ammo selection to limp wristing...etc.   I sent the R9 back to Rohrbaugh and it came back practically brand new, rebuilt if you will.  Since then it has never misfired or jammed again, NICE.  But the other problem I have with the "bentley" of firearms.........I HATE TO SHOOT IT.  Concealability a 10, size a 10, weight a 10, design a 10, looks a 10, the trigger a 10.........you get the idea.  But pull that trigger and OUCH, on every shot after the first one.  Every shot had me adjusting my grip due to the inability to hold it due to felt recoil in relation to size.  I thought I was just embarrassed of my lil pup hindering me on follow up shots so I let a group (5 guys) shoot it and they all agreed with my pathetic analysis.   So the trade in hunt for a new gun began.
In the meantime of searching I said to my self, if the grip is the ONLY problem, then fix it.  So I bought the VZ checkered grips and the pierce Kahr PM9 mag extension (fabricated) for the R9 and BAM.  A WHOLE NEW GUN.  Yes, the size increased in height nominally, but the gun is SOOOOO much more manageable AND STILL THE SMALLEST 9MM EVEN WITH THE MAG EXTENSION.  No more slippery grip, no jumping out of my hand, just pure gold dot 115gr. power.....7 times in a row.     So needless to say, the hunt for a new firearm is over.  The Rohrbaugh R9 will always have a special place in my right pocket for a long time to come!

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Re: ALMOST sold the R9
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 07:01:19 AM »
I don't think I'm going to have a problem limp wristing the pistol - I have a workout I do to maintain muscle mass in my forearms and increase hand strength.  As part of that, I work out with Captains of Crush #1 grippers.

But I am worried about losing skin  or developing bad shooting habits with the little gun.

It seems like the VZ grips are a must?

Also, do people generally wear shooting gloves when they practice with the R9?

Offline jeeptree2112

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 10:35:21 AM »
My right thumb's proximal knuckle has lost a lot of skin over the last 8 months from the slide.   Both the grips and mag extension has ALMOST fully stopped this from happening. 

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 11:16:57 AM »

I don't wear shooting gloves with my R9. I do, however, with my Desert Eagle .50AE.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 11:25:50 AM »

I don't wear shooting gloves with my R9. I do, however, with my Desert Eagle .50AE.
I shot one of those for the first time this past weekend..........the owner was using it for concealed carry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF is he thinking....lol
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 11:48:10 AM »

I shot one of those for the first time this past weekend..........the owner was using it for concealed carry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF is he thinking....lol

Ah! "Thinking." That would be the operative word. And the answer would appear to be, "Uhh, nuttin' much."     ;D
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 09:59:28 PM »
I will use a thin leather shooting glove with the R9 if I plan to shoot more that a couple of magazines...not that it hurts to shoot, but it does tend to slap me on the trigger finger a bit if my grip gets sloppy and the glove saves some skin.  I have arthritic wrists and do better shooting two handed with the R9...as a right handed shooter I use a grip pressure 60% left hand and 40% right hand for the steadiest trigger pull and best accuracy...this allows a slightly lighter right hand/trigger finger and avoids jerking the trigger or going low and left while still maintaining a stiff wrist, but it does encourage a little slap from the inside right edge of the trigger guard.  I would venture the opinion that in an unplanned "social engagement" the recoil would not be noticed at all, but anything that makes practice more fun is worth doing.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline jeeptree2112

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 04:03:55 PM »
Well, 50 more rounds with the VZ grips and the pierce mag extension an overall better grip, absolutely no bite on my thumb knuckle and less recoil with the 115gr bullets.   What a gem I have.  No more abuse shooting.   It's a sure keeper.   

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 10:03:45 PM »
...Also, do people generally wear shooting gloves when they practice with the R9?

I don't, and frankly I have no idea what the "big recoil" folks are talking about. I believe their reports, I just do not experience them.

I don't shoot this pistol a lot. I carry it every day.

When I do shoot it, I tend to do over a hundred rounds at a time, with factory grips..

I have never had a problem, and I am not some great big monster guy.

I have a theory: Perhaps people are using too much trigger finger?  ???