Author Topic: Convince me not to sell my Rohrbaugh!  (Read 8949 times)

Offline hkp7nut

Convince me not to sell my Rohrbaugh!
« on: March 25, 2014, 03:21:39 PM »
I purchased a Rohrbaugh R9S Stealth about a year ago after wanting one for years. Previous gun was a seecamp .32 which it replaced. I've carried it and shot about 250rnds through it and I'm just not sold.

I do not consider myself a sharpshooter but at 7 and 15 yards, my groupings are awful. Have experimented with several types of ammo and with. Farman reliability has been so so.  It beats my hand up pretty good and my wife won't event shoot it. I understand it's essentially a "gut gun" and not a sub MOA rifle but I've never shot so poorly with a gun before.

I also sometimes carry a S&W snubby and find myself grabbing that instead of the Rohrbaugh for pocket carry most of the time.

I guess what I'm saying is should I give it another try and keep her or sell off.  Just sort of let down on her after carry and use :(

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Convince me not to sell my Rohrbaugh!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 03:58:19 PM »

That is a difficult question to answer but it doesn't sound like you have that "lovin' feeling" about your Stealth. If you decide to sell it you may be able to receive a higher price later when the corporate dust settles a bit.

Offline lws380

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 06:29:09 PM »
You have not shown lots of reasons to keep it. I suggest selling it, although under the current circumstances, sales may be soft.

Offline guncats

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 07:03:51 PM »
what do you plan to replace it with? I don't see any direct replacement options available on the market right now.

If you can find a load that it shoots reliablely, I suggest keeping it for the time being.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 08:22:12 PM »

The R-9 is not for everyone, and there is nothing wrong with a j-frame revolver.  I like to carry those as well.

I find that once I sour on a gun, it is hard to sweeten again.  I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but just being realistic. 

I can shoot the R-9 well, and I don't find it any more punishing than a j-frame with quality defensive loads.  However, it is much thinner and more pocketable than a j-frame, and a lot smaller than the other 9mms you will find.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 09:10:01 PM »
What Gator says!  I love mine, but as I've said on this forum before, a pistol must fit your hand and your eye to be satisfactory, and each individual has a different appreciation of various handguns.  For instance, some here think the HKp7 is a wonderful carry piece, but I just couldn't make it feel right when shooting it.  Once you get down on a pistol, unless there is an obvious fix, you are unlikely to change your mind.  That said, the advice to hold on for a while until the new factory starts producing and marketing in order to get a better price is sound.  Some on the forum feel the Kimber Solo is a fine and very small pocket 9...I like mine but don't carry it; still, it might be worth a look for you.  I only have two R9's and would likely offer to buy yours if I weren't in the middle of owning two houses and trying to sell one.
Good luck hkp7nut!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 10:39:42 PM »
If you fire gold dot 124 grain (or something else) with a tight grip and it's reliable I personally would keep it.

I think the solo is definately a more "user friendly" option, BUT it's thicker, taller, longer and heavier.

If you are the kind of guy who enjoys owning several guns and you don't want to shoot it to death, but just enough to prove its reliable then a mag or two here or there... It may be worth working the kinks out IMHO.

On the other hand if you don't want to keep another gun in the safe and want/need to sell it in order to buy something you may like more... Well who could blame ya?

Mine has had some issues. I have had some issues shooting it too. When I learned the stubborn, picky ones like GD 124 life got better. When I learned I didn't know what a good tight grip was it got better still. I really want to love my R9, BUT if mine was reliable I wouldn't be trying... I would be VERY HAPPY with it.

It's what no other pistol on the face of the planet is. It's exploding art. It's the worlds smallest 9mm auto which is very effective at 5-7 yds. Sleek and beautiful and for some very reliable. Now it's perhaps collectible. Knowing the passion for them exhibited on this forum there is no doubt they will be collectible as long as parts can be bought for them.

Do what ya want, but if it was mine I would definately hold on and see if a mag here and there could be fired reliably.  Just one per range visit. Only using GD 124 and only as the first gun to shoot. If it is you have a gem. If it isn't the factory may tune it and then you could probably get a good return on your investment.

Lots of different guns out there. Big ones, small ones, fat ones, skinny ones. Ones that take skin off (SC380:(). Ones that are collectible. Ones that are junk. The R9 is a unique offering. WORLDS SMALLEST, LIGHTEST 9mm AUTO.

Are there "better guns"? Sure. You don't see the military writing a check to the Rhorbaugh's. BUT it certainly is trying to be the best pocket pistol in its class. That just got alot harder now that every Tom Dick and Harry is making a pocket 9. But let's face it, who was working tirelessly when ruger, Kahr, beretta, keltech, kimber, sig and diamondback etc etc etc were doing other things? The guys who not only made a high quality pocket 9, but also made the worlds smallest and lightest 9mm auto. Lol. Kinda cool. what? Not a big name to fork out the R&D? Nope! The Rhohrbaugh's.

Trust me I'm not a R9 fanatic. Check my other posts. I've struggled with mine (mine's currently broken and awaiting the factory to reopen when... ), but you have to see its quite a unique story and product.

Is their system perfect? No. But I must admit when I stand back and look at the macro view it's pretty cool to see what a couple of New Yorkers can do when they put their minds to it. Hats off to ya boys!! Looks to me like they started a pistol revolution. Even if they weren't the first to build a pocket 9mm auto they certainly made a quality piece before sig and kimber came to the pocket 9 game.

Duane: who else built a pocket 9 before Rohrbaugh? I ask you because if you don't know you probably know how to find all that stuff. You write articles on guns for heavens sake.

Have fun and keep us posted.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 07:28:29 AM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »
Perfect example...

I was at a the police academy yesterday for in service training. This is one of the very rare occasions, that my Rohrbaugh was holstered as a sidearm.  I normally carry it  in my front pocket with a Recluse holster. 

Out of nowhere a fellow LEO approached me saying..."Dude.....what the hell is that!!"  I guess the blue carbon fiber grips really caught his attention.   Anyway...as I started talking to him about it, he called over a whole bunch of other guys, out of amazement!!  Needs to say I now became a Rohrbaugh spokesperson with a small crowd around me.  They were blown away be the craftsmanship and the compactness of the gun.  There were at least 3 LEO's who took down the website info.

My point is that these guns are a work of art, beautifully crafted, reliable, and accurate.  Now I am not going to lie...I have had to send mine back once due to FTE's.  Carl had to hone down the extractor a bit, and now the problem is solved.  I am no marksman, and I had to learn this gun a bit, but couldn't be happier!! 

I went with the K380 over the R9 due to my qualifications shooting at further distances, and the amount of rounds I blow through.   Personally I feel that with the decreased pressures of the 380 vs. the 9, my Rohrbaugh will last me a lot longer, before it needs a complete breakdown.   I am probably up to 700 rounds now, and by the end of the year, will be close to 900 rounds. 

My advice...if you don't need the $$, I would keep it.  If you are having issues, send it back.  Even if costs you a bit to fix, you will be much happier knowing its reliable and a gun you can count on....just like I do.

Just a thought...if the R9 is a bit much for you, consider selling it and trying a K380.  I have not shot the R9, but I heard it packs more of a punch than the K380.  I have heard its more forgiving. 

Hope this helps...

Dom

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:06:22 PM by dmunofo »
Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 12:28:01 PM »

Duane: who else built a pocket 9 before Rohrbaugh? I ask you because if you don't know you probably know how to find all that stuff. You write articles on guns for heavens sake.

Well, different people have different ideas about what is a pocket gun, of course.  I wouldn't even count derringer type guns.  The one that comes to mind is the Colt Pocket 9, which was very short lived.   It is possible that AMT had a nine in that time frame too?   I'm not sure.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »

Well, different people have different ideas about what is a pocket gun, of course.  I wouldn't even count derringer type guns.  The one that comes to mind is the Colt Pocket 9, which was very short lived.   It is possible that AMT had a nine in that time frame too?   I'm not sure.

I carried a Colt Pocket 9 ten years ago.  It was a fairly reliable pistol with a horrible trigger to my thinking.  Some people had light hits but I did not have any that did not fire.  I had quite a few "fried egg" primers though, similar to my R9.  I believe it is a combination of light hits and head spacing to the long side of the tolerances.  Many Gunsmiths thought the hammer was too light in weight on the Pocket 9's and the Pony's.

There were 6000 Pocket nines built(similar to Rohrbaugh) and go for twice the price they cost when new.

The Pocket 9's demise was a patent infringement lawsuit brought by Kahr arms that they were going to win.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 10:59:10 PM »
Very cool. Thanks for the history MRC and Duane.

Dom: your post says you still have not fired the R9, but also says you had work done on it and were wearing it in a holster. I'm confused sir.

Have you shot the R9 yet? ???

Just trying to straighten out my lack of understanding : ) sorry.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 12:45:28 AM »
Sorry Josh,

To clear things up a bit......no I have not shot an R9.  I own the K380.  At my first range outing, I had some FTE's  so I sent my 380 back to have them take a look at it.  Karl honed down the extractor a bit and all is good.

I normally carry my 380 off duty in a Recluse holster submerged my front pocket so that way it looks like a wallet.  The only reason I had it in an outer waist band holster and visible, was because I was at the police academy for in service training. 

Dom
Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 06:30:58 PM »
I purchased a Rohrbaugh R9S Stealth about a year ago after wanting one for years. Previous gun was a seecamp .32 which it replaced. I've carried it and shot about 250rnds through it and I'm just not sold.

I do not consider myself a sharpshooter but at 7 and 15 yards, my groupings are awful. Have experimented with several types of ammo and with. Farman reliability has been so so.  It beats my hand up pretty good and my wife won't event shoot it. I understand it's essentially a "gut gun" and not a sub MOA rifle but I've never shot so poorly with a gun before.

I also sometimes carry a S&W snubby and find myself grabbing that instead of the Rohrbaugh for pocket carry most of the time.

I guess what I'm saying is should I give it another try and keep her or sell off.  Just sort of let down on her after carry and use :(

What size groups are you getting at 7 yards?  Are you talking 3 inches or 3 feet in size?  I felt mine shot great given the long trigger pull and short barrel.  Also try a glove to practice with and know that you won't feel anything if you ever use it in an emergency situation.

9mm delivers about 3 times the energy as 32, so you're getting a ton more power with the R9 than the 32 Seacamp.  By no small margin either.  I think 32 is about on par with 22 Long Rifle if i recall. At least a body shot with the R9 would be semi effective.  The 32 would need a head shot in my opinion.

I've shot a ton of predators and varmints with various calibers and energy is critical. I wouldn't want to take on a 200 pound, 2 legged varmint with a 22 LR.

This is about 7 yards: 

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 07:53:47 PM »
I'm pretty happy if I shoot a group like that from my R9 at 7 paces. Definitely hitting the target.

Also, thanks for the clarification Dom. Sorry. I'm a bit slow sometimes.

John Stuart Mill

bamboobob

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 10:17:20 PM »
#1   Everybody is different
#2   Keep trying - 7yds
#3   Above group is JUST FINE
#4   Hand beat up is JUST FINE
                                                      ( First time I shot  100 + RDS  was hard on hand, next time
                                                                            will be GD115 test of at least 50 and 12 GD124's)
Good Luck,  Bob