Author Topic: Is this an All Stainless R9S?  (Read 3641 times)

Offline CNO53

• Expert
Is this an All Stainless R9S?
« on: August 03, 2007, 02:09:04 AM »
 Was looking at holsters last tonight and ran across this photo. Am I seeing things or is this an "All Stainless R9S" ?
At first I thought it was the camera's flash, but look at the butt of the frame, just behind the grip. Mr. Penguin your our photo guru, what do you think?

http://www.stellarrigs.com/Stellar_Pocketholsters.html

« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 02:18:51 AM by CNO53 »

Perception...Reality...?

Offline mshechte

• Sharpshooter
Re: All Stainless RPS?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 02:14:43 AM »
Sure looks like it!
Didn't see that option in the brochure.  ;)
Mark
" If Guns kill people...then all of mine are Defective "    Ted Nugent.

Offline PlayboyPenguin

• Sharpshooter
Re: Is this an All Stainless R9S?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 05:04:23 AM »
I think the original line-up consisted of a silver anodized aluminum frame. They later discontinued the silver finish due to logevity issues. I bet that is what this is in the pic.
"Laugh all you want, but when the zombies come we both know whose house you will be running to for protection."
[SIZE="1"]- My response to friends that laugh at me for collecting guns[/SIZE]

Offline pbwe

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 08:35:13 AM »
FWIW, the availability of a 17-4 ph sst frame would be very desirable.  The weight of these guns is not the real issue, it's the size that counts.  SSt and a barrel capable of +P rounds would be the next new pocket bomb and an important evolution of the arm.

One could speculate that a 45 acp capable gun would have to be steel framed, as necessary to maximize the inertia, durability, accuracy, and feel in the hand.  So, a precedent for a SSt 9mm might be there.

About the Stellar holsters, the 'spare mag on board' is what sells it for me.  

« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 08:43:48 AM by pbwe »

Offline CNO53

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 09:37:55 AM »
WS6, Sure thats not your gun with all the scratches on the frame?    :o

Perception...Reality...?

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 11:04:42 AM »
The early (46) were considered grey anodized..I have one of those and this isn't one ;)

Looks to me like someone used paint or "white-out" for the picture?? ???

And it has the new grips on it..

Maybe they crayoned the lettering too!! ;D

The Bros R could have made about anything in R/D I guess.. :)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline PlayboyPenguin

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 01:09:03 PM »
Here is the quote from an early gun review that mentions the silver anodized frame and it's discontinuation. The silver finish was different than the grey anodized. :)
Both the R9 and R9S have a stainless steel slide and each was initially offered in a choice of silver or gray anodized alloy frames.  Recent concerns over the cosmetic quality of the silver anodizing have eliminated that option for now but a similar finish may be available in the future.

A link to the review.
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/R9.htm
"Laugh all you want, but when the zombies come we both know whose house you will be running to for protection."
[SIZE="1"]- My response to friends that laugh at me for collecting guns[/SIZE]

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 02:54:10 PM »
it is the early silver finish frame pistol, and it was discontinued shortly after a few guns came out. The finish was a problem. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 03:44:15 PM »
I don't mind sharing with Brenden ;) ;D   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 12:22:20 AM »
Brain not working sometimes!!! :o

There were a few made that I recall now(don't know how many were sold),and the finish didn't hold up well!!

The thing that threw me a bit was that the one pictured has the new G10 grips..Someone switched out apparently!!

Sorry for the misinfo!! :-[

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 05:44:22 AM »
I've been wishing for a stainless steel framed Rohrbaugh since they first came out. With the .45 on the horizon, this looks more and more like a possibility. The current Rohbaugh is a real bearcat to shoot. I would love to have a more durable and slightly heavier version.

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 05:14:41 PM »
I've been wishing for a stainless steel framed Rohrbaugh since they first came out. With the .45 on the horizon, this looks more and more like a possibility.
Don't hold your breath.   :'(

Offline pbwe

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 10:05:29 PM »
Perhaps this should be in the wish list forum, but in another place;
http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1186117744;start=3#3

I stated:

FWIW, the availability of a 17-4 ph sst frame would be very desirable.  The weight of these guns is not the real issue, it's the size that counts.  sst and a barrel capable of +P rounds would be the next new pocket bomb and an important evolution of the arm.

One could speculate that a 45 acp capable gun would have to be steel framed, as necessary to maximize the inertia, durability, accuracy, and feel in the hand.  So, a precedent for a sst 9mm might be there.

A SSt R9 would be a hit.  The get-one-of-each crowd alone would probably rationalize it, the merely practical would put it over the top.  

Pocket carry a 45?  Big loose pocket on large people, maybe.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 12:15:52 AM »
I did a short search-not much luck here-as this was a hot coversation quite some time ago..
My understanding was that the R bros would not make an all stainless 9mm..
Of course I forgot that they made a few silver finish pups,(don't know how many went on the street)..

I still like the pup in the pocket!! ;)

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 07:41:46 AM »
I somehow missed ths thread when it started.  

On the basis of a telephone conversation I had with Eric recently, it is my understanding that Rohrbaugh has negotiated an arrangement with Smith & Wesson Specialty Services for a new type of "silver" anodizing on the R9s. I think the R9 in the photograph is one of those new beauties. The anodizing should be extremely tough and durable as well as downright beautiful.

Now, if aircraft aluminum grip panels with the same anodizing could be offered, the R9s would be almost identical in appearance to the famed prototype unveiled at the 2002 Shot Show which "hooked" me at first sight. I still consider that prototype to be one of the most striking handguns I have ever seen.

Don't get me wrong, though. I have no plans to replace No. 132, shown here with my little wife's "pocket rocket" -- both wrapped in Hedley leather art.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 05:17:00 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"