Author Topic: GSG 1911 sight replacement  (Read 11038 times)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
GSG 1911 sight replacement
« on: January 27, 2012, 08:11:57 AM »
I have a GSG 1911 22LR...........It is a nice plinking gun but it came with cheap plastic sights.....they are not standard dove tail...who could I replace them them....several guys I know would like this done
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Robar233

• Master
Re: GSG 1911 sight replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 08:00:30 PM »
Jack_F,

I would think that any good 1911 smith shop could mill in a dovetail of standard size or drill in for a post type front sight. You could call Robar or any of the big name shops to ask for a quote. You could also search for a small smith local to you that could do it for less money too. Just a suggestion.

Robar233

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 09:25:33 PM »

There is a lot of online information on the GSG, not all complimentary, but to each his own.

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 10:36:21 PM »
Jack_F,

I would think that any good 1911 smith shop could mill in a dovetail of standard size or drill in for a post type front sight. You could call Robar or any of the big name shops to ask for a quote. You could also search for a small smith local to you that could do it for less money too. Just a suggestion.

Robar233

I was hoping there was a gun smith or machinest on this forum.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 08:39:35 AM »
I have a GSG 1911 22LR...........It is a nice plinking gun but it came with cheap plastic sights.....they are not standard dove tail...who could I replace them them....several guys I know would like this done

It only takes very minor "fitting" and is pretty much a "DIY" job.  Just Google "GSG 1911 sight replacement" and there are lots of links with good information including part numbers, pictures and "tips".

Here's one link, not necessarily the best.            http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=289020       

I really like mine.  I only have 2700 rounds through it but it's been 99.9% perfect and trouble free with just an occassional FT eject.   I've considered changing the sights but am reluctant to sink money into a pistol that is really just a low priced, fun, little shooter.  Also, mine is reasonably accurate out to 50 feet.  Then, not so much, that's with me on the trigger.  YMMV  ;D  One thing's for sure:  They really are a lot of fun and provide a lot of bang for the buck.   :)
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 06:30:57 PM »

It only takes very minor "fitting" and is pretty much a "DIY" job.  Just Google "GSG 1911 sight replacement" and there are lots of links with good information including part numbers, pictures and "tips".

Here's one link, not necessarily the best.            http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=289020       

I really like mine.  I only have 2700 rounds through it but it's been 99.9% perfect and trouble free with just an occassional FT eject.   I've considered changing the sights but am reluctant to sink money into a pistol that is really just a low priced, fun, little shooter.  Also, mine is reasonably accurate out to 50 feet.  Then, not so much, that's with me on the trigger.  YMMV  ;D  One thing's for sure:  They really are a lot of fun and provide a lot of bang for the buck.   :)

It's a good gun for the money.....I bought a Browning 1911 A1 22LR......85% size.....not target pistol but great fun...ideal for kids 

NRA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 07:03:01 PM »

Now, you're talking, Jack. How is the trigger pull on the Browning?

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 07:39:10 PM »

Now, you're talking, Jack. How is the trigger pull on the Browning?

Good....6 lbs+-......not a target trigger.........short reset...gun is a little small for my hand.....put  500 rounds through it with just a small red mark on the webbing between thumb and index finger
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=028B&cid=051&tid=802&bg=x
NRA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 08:10:45 PM »

That gun sounds perfect for my sized hands; will check it out.