Author Topic: Gloom, despair, agony on me..  (Read 30717 times)

Offline Iorndealer

Re: Gloom, despair, agony on me..
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2005, 07:02:32 PM »
Eric,

I take to heart what you said to skyhook.  However his problem is no simple matter or routine broken gun.  Yes success is  a two edged sword.  But I think that that more is going on.  From reading these boards and learning all of the experiences that fellow rohrbaugh owners are complaining about is frankly becoming distressing.  It's starting to seem to me that we have gone from "breaking the gun in"  learning to hold it" "how to maintain and lube it properly" to what seems to me more of an "Engineering Problem or Production Problem".  Frankly I'm concern and have thus cancelled my order on my 2nd Rohrbaugh R9s pistol.  Read the post carefully you find them rare that the gun goes 50 rounds plus problem free.  Where are the owners with 1500 rounds plus through their guns?  The "hey good buddy you know that this thing is only ment to shot a magazine full with out failure "  is  well  ...... Not cutting it!

"Keep it Safe, Keep it Secret"

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2005, 07:20:35 PM »
Here I sit reading and nodding in agreement.

I have witnessed similar failures before... just not with a $1K gun.

I am doing my best to be upbeat and positive even though the factory has not contacted me (I had to call them to see if they even got the gun) in a week's time. Yup, it was one week ago today I sent it in, guys.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2005, 07:44:21 PM »
I think many of us wish there were no problems.   We shouldn't even have to be talking about this.  $900 - $1000 should get a completely reliable pistol.  There should be zero defects, and it should look good, too.

Still, it is guaranteed for life.  That says a lot.

I certainly agree with TW.  It takes time to do things correctly.  I know they will be trying their best to bring this to a happy conclusion.

Skyhook has been a model of restraint, considering that he paid all that money for a pistol which didn't work correctly.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2005, 07:48:57 PM »
We have all tried to be positive and protective.  We have made a circle around the wagon, so to speak.

That said, I sure would like to see these problems solved and this whole episode  brought to a quick end.

Once word gets out, then we may have bigger problems.  I felt like we were all sitting at the top of the totum pole as owners of the wonderful new R9S.  Now the pole may have bent slightly.

Soon, there will be people snipping at our heels.

I want the value of my pistol to increase with time.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 07:55:05 PM by Michigunner »

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2005, 08:07:11 PM »
OK, I see and have read about the problems. We have to remember that it involves just a few pistols out of a 1000 or so.
None of my customers have had a problem!!
A new customer picked up his gun on Saturday and shot 70 rounds thru it with out a problem!!!
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2005, 08:26:43 PM »
Tom,
You have given us the answer; you have all the trouble-
free guns sent to you.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2005, 08:40:54 PM »
tracker, I am sure happy you and other customers of mine have trouble free pups.
I still think only a small % of the guns made are having problems. Also I think the R bros will take care of things.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2005, 10:15:16 PM »
I would be 'ok' if a company owner did not call me regarding warrenty service of my pistol.  However I would be in contact with the company making sure they received it and the status of repairs.

Remember a lifetime warranty is only valid for your lifetime “or the Rohrbaugh company’s lifetime”.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 10:50:40 PM by bigyimmy »

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2005, 11:19:56 PM »
 The Forum is looking bad right now ...

It  looks all doom and gloom.    I think these problem posts should stop.  

Get on the telephone, and work this out in private..

Fire away,.......
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 11:21:38 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Gloom, despair, agony on me..
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2005, 11:35:31 PM »
>>Skyhook...

I did not mention before but will now...  Two of the three guns I recently shipped back to their respective factories were my R9s...!!  

I don't want to go into a whole lot of detail now, but I will say the following about the problems with my two R9s...

Both of my guns suddenly started doing the FTF thing, on either the first or third shots (go figure??), and only with the regular diet of Hollow Points (.115g GDHP)...round ball ammo still fed fine...!  I have cleaned and lubed the guns religiously, as per instructions.  I have and have used seven different magazines.  Then strangely...after sitting in my safe for almost four months un touched - I tried GDHP in both guns one more time before shipping...and now they seem to cycle better, although not perfectly = not enough confidence that I would carry them to save my life.  

One of my guns was a very early version purchased used now having about 500 rounds through it.  The other is a new gun built this past Spring and has less than 100 rounds through it.

I don't know if the FTF problem is related or not but my older gun has developed a gouge in the frame (where the back of barrel hits during cycle?) and some wear on the rails.  The newer gun has just the beginnings of such wear.  

I spoke to Karl about this many weeks ago and he seemed to think the frames needed some modification (going from memory) and would be fine (no more FTF).  Quite frankly, although I was glad to hear that Karl thought he could fix the guns, I was quite depressed to hear this news (guns broke/need fixing), which is why I haven't dealt with them until just recently.  And being depressed about my R9s is one reason why I haven't been so active on this forum for some months = all my problems, not Rohrbaughs.  

So now I too begin waiting, and in time I guess I'll see if the R9 is a gun I will keep for self defense, or not.  I hope so, and I have no reason to expect otherwise based on my prior experience with the company.  And as someone already pointed out today - $1000 is a lot to spend on a gun, and as a self defense tool you EXPECT it to work just fine.  

So you see, Skyhook...it seems I DO have the same/similar issues as you on my two, $1000 guns.  I have no idea when I will see or hear from Karl, Eric, or Maria next, but certainly not until Karl gets a chance to look at and work on the two problems I described - FTF and frame wear...and probably not until he has already fixed your gun!  I may not hear anything until they are repaired and sent back to me...and I expect nothing more.  Granted, if in a month or so I haven't heard anything I will probably give Maria a call...but a week...??  I just don't see that being necessarily a reasonable expectation.  

If our R9s were Colts - would you expect to be hearing from the company within a week or seeing it fixed by then?  Much less hearing back from the company president?  I wouldn't/don't.  As much as I too WISH that was how things worked everywhere...I just can't see/expect that from folks - not even the R-Bros...TW<<
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 03:11:26 AM by TW »

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2005, 11:39:41 PM »
Judging by the way the Rohbaugh Factory works, they're not about to jump to conclusions. Someone said the same thing earlier. Give them some time to disect the gun, and look at the problem.
They're not about to just forget about the gun. It will get repaired, or replaced.
Go with the odds here, not every R9 is broken from the factory.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Gloom, despair, agony on me..
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2005, 11:51:27 PM »
The Forum is looking bad right now ...

It  looks all doom and gloom.    I think these problem posts should stop.  

Get on the telephone, and work this out in private..  

Fire away,.......

**TW gives RJ a Nose Tweak just on principle because he said to "Fire away" at him**

Good points though, RJ...these or any problems should be worked out one on one via phone rather in mass over the internet...which was one of the points I hoped to get across.  

Yeah, this forum has become a valuable tool for identifying and addressing certain problems and issues - as well as all the perks.  And in many cases we have been able to help one another through our experiences.  But right now the forum sort of reminds me of the news media going after George Bush = trial and conviction through the media, not elected officials...which in our case is allowing/encouraging individuals to address thngs directly with Rorhbaugh...TW<<

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2005, 12:38:11 AM »
I will have to take issue with stopping the bad news in an
open forum. One of the dictionary's definitions of a forum
is, "a medium of of open discussion or voicing of ideas".
When I took Latin, a "Forum Romanorum" was a public
place for open discussion, not that Nero paid attention to it
but we should today. Some R-9 owners are upset and they
should be able to voice their discontent here in addition
to contacting Rohrbaugh.

Could it be that these problems were not envisioned before
this forum was founded? This could be a great voice for the
customer if we will let it flow.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2005, 12:46:35 AM »
Honestly reporting our experiences, good and bad, as is done here, will make Rohrbaugh a better company and help them make better pistols.  If this or any other forum becomes a propaganda outlet or a place where the bad news is squelched then people won't trust what information is here and they won't buy pistols based upon what is read.  

I would not have spent nearly $1,000 on a pistol without reading lots and lots of honest reviews first.

Offline Iorndealer

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2005, 01:04:36 AM »
+1

I would not have spent nearly $1,000 on a pistol without reading lots and lots of honest reviews first.
"Keep it Safe, Keep it Secret"